Need Explanation

my bench max is at 285 but when i put 255 i can barely put that up twice. I feel like this is a large drop off of weight from my 1 rep max and am wondering if this is normal? Im asking this cuz i want to begin benching in the 4 rep range but feel like im taking off to much weight to achieve this.

What? How could you rep out 285 once and not be able to move 255? Something is off.

You probably have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscles than most people. I know a guy similar to you. Back in high school for example I could do 185 for 6 and my max was 215. This other guy could only do 185 for 4, 205 for 2 but his max was 235. It was weird, he had no “endurance”. I know that’s not exactly the right word, thats why its in quotations.

[quote]Rambo87 wrote:
You probably have a higher percentage of fast twitch muscles than most people. I know a guy similar to you. Back in high school for example I could do 185 for 6 and my max was 215. This other guy could only do 185 for 4, 205 for 2 but his max was 235. It was weird, he had no “endurance”. I know that’s not exactly the right word, thats why its in quotations. [/quote]

thats exactly what i thought is that it has something to do with the fast twitch fibers. But the thing is that i can get 215 up about 10 reps. Then the 250 feels so heavy like if its my max but than i can max out 285 probably 290. This concerns me cuz i want to begin to power lift in the 4 rep range which i believe should be in the 250 range.

is the 285 how much you can max out at, TODAY, or how much you maxed out at once? that might answer your question.

how do you warm/pyramid up? also makes a big difference.

Is your spotter lifting the 255 off your chest the same way he is lifting the 285 off of your chest?

[quote]G87 wrote:
is the 285 how much you can max out at, TODAY, or how much you maxed out at once? that might answer your question.

how do you warm/pyramid up? also makes a big difference.[/quote]

I’m with G87, you didn’t warm up as well today, or it’s just an off day. This stuff happens all the time, if you’ve been working out for a decent amount of time (and not “on and off”) you’d have run into this several times already…

When that happens to me, I chalk it up to bad day, not my muscle fiber percentage. Guess what happens next time that day comes around? I set a PR.

[quote]Ducket wrote:
Is your spotter lifting the 255 off your chest the same way he is lifting the 285 off of your chest?[/quote]

lol!

It’s not muscle fibers or endurance, it’s neural activation and motor unit recruitment.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Ducket wrote:
Is your spotter lifting the 255 off your chest the same way he is lifting the 285 off of your chest?

lol![/quote]

“ITS ALL YOU BRAWWWWW!” as the dude deadlifts the bar into place.

You’re benching 285, have been training for a whole lot of 2 years, are 185 at 5 9" and asking these questions? I feel this a little weird, maybe I was a weak bencher, or maybe you should update your stats.