Need Excuses For Guy Friends

You don’t need any excuses. I deal with the same isuue (sans excuses) being that all of my old friends get shitfaced all of the time and pretty much every activity centers around it. I tell them I’m not drinking that night. They ask “what’s wrong” and such and I explain that I’m concentrating on getting/staying in shape.

Now they just accept that I’m “on that exercise kick again”. They know that I’ll come back in a few weeks and still drink them under the table (the tolerance doesn’t change- just the recovery time).

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Just shut the fuck up and drink.

Lose the “Mangina” once a weekend.[/quote]

If you aren’t joking, you’re an idiot.

Making up excuses is a bad habit. Say “nah, i’m not drinking tonight, hey btw I saw this coool thing downtown yesterday (changing subject)”. They will only bring it up again if you’re boring.

On a serious note: Turn the tide. How about making your friends justify themselves for getting liquored up every weekend?

Just get so disgustingly drunk so often that your friends become repulsed. If that doesn’t work, get all coked up, pull out a gun, and threaten to start blowing peoples heads off over stupid stuff that happened a long time ago.

It worked for me!

[quote]freejury wrote:

I think going to the bar where everyone is getting drunk and your staying sober is one of the fastest ways to lose an alcohol habit when you see how fucking retarded and lame people are when they drink.[/quote]

I think this is really important to recognize. People who are drunk act like retards, people who do it more often act retarded more often…if you do it often enough, well, you’re retarded all the time. If that’s not enough to stop you from drinking, then you’ve got some serious problems.

Weren’t you the guy who said he came home one time and took a piss in his closet? If you’re getting that wasted, you’re probably causing some serious damage to your central nervous system.

I don’t mean to be condescending, God knows I’ve done my fair share of drinking, along with a few drugs, but I realized how stupid it all was, and I basically haven’t touched any of that stuff since.

Oh yeah, and just tell your friends you don’t want to drink any more because it’s fucking retarded, that’s what I did. They agreed with me, but it didn’t really change their behaviour.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
croak wrote:
Can’t you just drink something else?

I’m on call for my job at most times, so I can’t risk being drunk and nobody gives me crap about it.

Most people don’t give anyone crap about it if they are man enough to stand up for themselves. I never had to explain why I wasn’t drinking. It was simply understood that while I may drink with you some of the time, there will be even more times that I won’t.[/quote]

I would agree with you for the most part, X. BUT- there are guys who will give you crap. Not just the typical names and stuff, either. I cant count how many times I have been called ‘pussy’ for not hammering w/ the bunch.

But I dont really care about that, cuz I would just lift them over my head until they were about to spew… Joking aside, I did actually lose a good friend over not drinking. He was a great guy, but for some reason he would get royally pissed if i didnt drink with him.

We eventually got into a heated discussion, and we really havent spoken much since. So, to say that nobody gives anybody any real crap is a little off…

[quote]DA MAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
croak wrote:
He was a great guy, but for some reason he would get royally pissed if i didnt drink with him.

We eventually got into a heated discussion, and we really havent spoken much since. So, to say that nobody gives anybody any real crap is a little off…[/quote]

Alcoholic behavior my freind. When you are big, the estrogen boys will stop calling you a pussy.

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Just shut the fuck up and drink.

Lose the “Mangina” once a weekend.

If you aren’t joking, you’re an idiot. [/quote]

Shit yeah I was joking. I’m still an idiot though so don’t try and tell me otherwise.

How’s that?

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
Weren’t you the guy who said he came home one time and took a piss in his closet? [/quote]

Holy mother of God. Is that true???

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
Just get so disgustingly drunk so often that your friends become repulsed. If that doesn’t work, get all coked up, pull out a gun, and threaten to start blowing peoples heads off over stupid stuff that happened a long time ago.

It worked for me![/quote]

that cracked me up thanks man.
On a darker note, I’m about to go see my mom in the hospice she’s at where’s she will die soon due to liver and kidney failure from years of abusing alcohol. Have fun getting wasted every weekend.

How about either not going out with them, or just drink a couple. If that is too much temptation, drink something non alcoholic. If you get shit from anyone, point at their gut and say you’re avoiding that.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
freejury wrote:

I think going to the bar where everyone is getting drunk and your staying sober is one of the fastest ways to lose an alcohol habit when you see how fucking retarded and lame people are when they drink.

I think this is really important to recognize. People who are drunk act like retards, people who do it more often act retarded more often…if you do it often enough, well, you’re retarded all the time. If that’s not enough to stop you from drinking, then you’ve got some serious problems.
quote]

Ok, this must be coming from younger guys, because not everyone that drinks gets retarded. Just the idiots and teens. There are those that drink and don’t act like fools, me being one of them. Ok, sometimes we have fun and get a little carried away, but that’s not the norm. You have to mature as a drinker and be aware of yourself at all stages of your buzz. This comes from experience and self control.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
mindeffer01 wrote:

It worked for me!

On a darker note, I’m about to go see my mom in the hospice she’s at where’s she will die soon due to liver and kidney failure from years of abusing alcohol. Have fun getting wasted every weekend. [/quote]

It’s horrible what happened to your mom! The disease of alcoholism is terrible. But you should not try to equate this to college kids getting wasted on the weekends. It only demeans those with serious alcohol problems.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
mindeffer01 wrote:

It worked for me!

On a darker note, I’m about to go see my mom in the hospice she’s at where’s she will die soon due to liver and kidney failure from years of abusing alcohol. Have fun getting wasted every weekend. [/quote]

I’ve lost a few friends and family to that too. Realy sorry to hear about it happening to someone else. Actualy I quit abot five and a half years ago, and usualy combat the grim reality of it with humor(like my post). The fun was over and the problems were mounting. It definitely wasn’t easy and I consider myself very fortunate to have lived this well for this long. My heart goes out to you and your family.

You don’t need any excuse. Just don’t drink. I also have some Friends who stick to drinking milk or coke and nobody cares.

Besides, i don’t think a little alcohol would do too much damage.
I know some powerlifters who drink a few bottles of beer during and after their workout and are freakingly big and strong.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
DA MAN wrote:
Professor X wrote:
croak wrote:
He was a great guy, but for some reason he would get royally pissed if i didnt drink with him.

We eventually got into a heated discussion, and we really havent spoken much since. So, to say that nobody gives anybody any real crap is a little off…

Alcoholic behavior my freind. When you are big, the estrogen boys will stop calling you a pussy.
[/quote]

Funny thing is I dwarf the ones that call me pussy… Im only 6’1" ~210 or so, and they are 160 tops. On a couple occasions I actually did throw them overhead until they submitted… Ah, the good times…

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

It’s horrible what happened to your mom! The disease of alcoholism is terrible. But you should not try to equate this to college kids getting wasted on the weekends. It only demeans those with serious alcohol problems.
[/quote]

Well, I wasn’t really trying to equate it with getting drunk on the weekends, if thats how it seemed. But poisoning your body is poisoning your body, whether it be part-time or full-time.