T Nation

Need Excuses For Guy Friends

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1123095540284.daveblackedoutoncouch.JPG

Hey guys n gals. I’m extremely happy with my size and strength gains over the summer thanks to the articles here, but hate to think of how much more progress could’ve been made if only i didn’t get so shithoused on beer every weekend.

Soooooo i’ve decided to start this thread so that everyone can post ideas for excuses to give the guy friends on friday night when they want me to join them in getting loaded…

sometimes i lie and say i have work early in the morning or that my parents want me home early, but usually i give in and wake up feeling like a bus hit my face.

if any of u have been in a similar situation, please help me out and give me some good excuses to give the boys…

Can’t you just drink something else?

I’m on call for my job at most times, so I can’t risk being drunk and nobody gives me crap about it.

“I’m gay”

How about “I want to get to the gym, so I can get more jacked, so I can hook up with more ladies on Friday nights, instead of hanging around with you moe’s”

Or maybe “Sorry guys, but I booked a session with the hot trainer chick at my gym for Friday night.”

[quote]croak wrote:
Can’t you just drink something else?

I’m on call for my job at most times, so I can’t risk being drunk and nobody gives me crap about it.[/quote]

Most people don’t give anyone crap about it if they are man enough to stand up for themselves. I never had to explain why I wasn’t drinking. It was simply understood that while I may drink with you some of the time, there will be even more times that I won’t.

Why not just tell them the truth. You can hang out with them and have a good time without getting wasted.

“because i’m not a pathetic raging alcoholic like you”

it works for me.

Bastard

note: i don’t have many friends left

they aint your friends…you aint no leader

“I need to go to training.”

Like BFG, I don’t have friends. I only have training and sparring partners.

I am sure you can go out and have fun WITHOUT alcohol. If you find no joy without alcohol, then there is a chance that you and your friends are addicted to alcohol i.e. you are alcoholic.

Geek boy

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Most people don’t give anyone crap about it if they are man enough to stand up for themselves. I never had to explain why I wasn’t drinking. It was simply understood that while I may drink with you some of the time, there will be even more times that I won’t.[/quote]

Basically. I’m not training for a competition right now. I can drink sometimes without it interfering with my goals, and I like to. But I limit it. No one questions me. It’s ok to not drink at all; it’s an individual choice.

If they can’t respect your goals and the fact that getting shitfaced with them will interfere with said goals, then they’re not your friends. As Prof X said, just be a man and tell them straight up that you’re not drinking.

Aside from all the other great responses, if you’re not man enough to tell your “friends” you don’t want to drink, tell them you’ll be the designated driver.

They’ll love it, unless someone always drives home drunk anyway.

Why make excuses NOT to go out? If you don’t want to, you don’t want to.

If you want to hang out, then don’t drink.

If you want to drink while hanging out, have a couple and set limits.

If you can’t do any of the above, what can anyone here tell you to do?

Tell them you have to wash your hair, then the next week tell them you have to dry your hair. I got the hint when an ex told me that…

Maybe you don’t need so many excuses as you do balls.

Stand up for what you believe in.

Just shut the fuck up and drink.

Lose the “Mangina” once a weekend.

I used to drink… often and a lot. Then I got heavy into building a nice body, pretty much quit drinking, But still would goto the bar cause I enjoyed shooting pool and talking to girls.

I think going to the bar where everyone is getting drunk and your staying sober is one of the fastest ways to lose an alcohol habit when you see how fucking retarded and lame people are when they drink.

I second the lose the mangina and man up and tell them. but its not hard to look like your drinking if you want to so people don’t give you shit, if you go to the bar just drink diet instead of jack and diet. go to a party just walk around with your own bottle of whatever.

but overall just man up people will respect your decision, we’ve all done it. plus women ususally find it interesting when a guys not drinking for training, it shows actual will power and dedication.
BB

“Not tonight dear, I have a headache.”

ok, this is one that will gain their respect, it’s a sick thought, but it works.

Let them know that you just don’t feel the buzz anymore like you used to, so you’re going to take some time off to let your tolerance go down so you can have fun like you used to.

They will be all about it, and you might even get a few of them to do this with you, that or they’ll juts call you gay or weak, or pathetic, either way, give them PLENTY of shit back about how they were walking into street signs and acting like a complete friggin loser and couldn’t get any girls and the like… they won’t appreciate this and promptly quit giving you shit. The score will be settled, and then they’ll support you on your quest for a better buzz.

Did you piss your pants in that picture??
If so, maybe you can just tell em you have to go home and change your pants. Or you don’t like having to go out wearing diapers.

T

Just chiming in to echo what everyone else has said. Man up. If your friends give you shit then they’re not your friends. Period.

Kill a couple birds at once… drink something that won’t carb you up… like a rye and diet coke or something.

Then, start ordering diet cokes.

Nobody pays that much attention. If asked, say you were thirsty. Personally, I have a rule, if I’m thirsty, I don’t drink alcohol. If I plan to do some drinking, I’ll often have both an alcoholic and a non-alcoholic drink available at the same time.

Nobody gives a shit, because they see you working on the alcoholic drink, so they don’t feel threatened by some “I don’t drink” or “I’m not like you losers” attitude coming from you.

At the same time, my friends don’t give a shit what I do or don’t drink. If I don’t feel like drinking, that’s what they hear. If they don’t like it, they can fuck off.

Are you drinking for them or for you?