T Nation

Need Dog Suggestion....

Married couple living in an apartment…

must be allergy free

look like a “normal” dog…

not bark a lot

any ideas?

thanks

A huge consideration when choosing a breed is how much exercise this dog will get daily. Also, most dogs except my dog, don’t bark for no reason. So if you are in a quiet neighborhood, chances are your dog won’t bark too much.

Get a fucking pit bull. They look normal as hell, so long as they’re not cross-eyed.

Have you tried a cat?

Whatever you end up getting… adopt it. There are too many homeless pets out there. And don’t think you’re stuck with the local pet shelter. There are hundreds if not thousands of organizations that serve specific locations and breeds.

Get a Bulldog.

Don’t be lame and get a Pitbull or a Rottweiler. People only get those dogs for the “tough guy” factor, as if having one makes you some sort of badass.

There is some douchebag in my apartments that has a Pitbull. It’s a two bedroom apartment, and he has a 100 lb. Pitbull living there. Obviously he only got the Pitbull because he thinks it makes him look hard. It’s these assholes that get these Pitbulls, or Rottweilers, and don’t know how to take care of them. They just wanted a mean looking dog. Don’t be an asshole and try to keep a big dog in a small place.

Big dogs need a lot of room, and a big backyard to run around in.

Bulldogs are not big, they like people, and act like grumpy old men. Great apartment dogs.

A Boston Terrier is a great dog for an apartment. Medium sized, not yappy, low-allergen, friendly.

Another great one is a Havanese. Low maintenance, loves people, doesn’t shed, doesn’t have that dog smell, really intelligent and easy to train.

Is the dog your wifes idea? Fuck that shit just more crap to deal with, I am flabergasted when I see a man walking wifeys gay lil dog like a bitch. Good luck.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
Is the dog your wifes idea? Fuck that shit just more crap to deal with, I am flabergasted when I see a man walking wifeys gay lil dog like a bitch. Good luck.[/quote]

lap dogs are annoying, especially those yappie poms.

I agree on the bulldog. Pretty neat dogs, don’t bark at all, and they don’t have hair to get all over your place/clothes/etc

Beagles are the perfect dog

There are a lot of factors: how long you’ll be at work, how much exercise you’re willing to provide, age of the dog, etc. Sure, you can get a cute puppy, but you’ll have to do house training, train it to behave & be quiet when told, put up with chewed shoes, etc.

Bulldogs are really nifty. Mine shed a little more than I expected, but I probably could have bought her different food.

I’d say go to a shelter & take a few for walk. Try not to get attached to the very first one. I had a Jack Russell in an appartment. She was SUPER sweet, but hyper. We lived in the countryside prior to the appt, and the noise drove her nuts. She started peeing at the slightest noises.

A cat might be better, for the allergen aspect & for easy maintenance.

Animal Planet/Discovery Channel seem like they would have a good web site for picking the traits you’re looking for.

Post PICS!

;o)

Renee

Not everyone with a pit bull is a drug dealer. But everyone that’s a drug dealer has a pit bull…

This is a pretty good quiz:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Get a Bulldog.

Don’t be lame and get a Pitbull or a Rottweiler. People only get those dogs for the “tough guy” factor, as if having one makes you some sort of badass.

There is some douchebag in my apartments that has a Pitbull. It’s a two bedroom apartment, and he has a 100 lb. Pitbull living there. Obviously he only got the Pitbull because he thinks it makes him look hard. It’s these assholes that get these Pitbulls, or Rottweilers, and don’t know how to take care of them. They just wanted a mean looking dog. Don’t be an asshole and try to keep a big dog in a small place.

Big dogs need a lot of room, and a big backyard to run around in.

Bulldogs are not big, they like people, and act like grumpy old men. Great apartment dogs.[/quote]

I think you’re a cynical guy so I’m going to take your post with a grain of salt.

Many people own rottweilers and pit bulls because they have discovered that they are among the smartest, sweetest and most loyal dog breeds. Both are exceptional family dogs. They are “no-shit” in their mentality and judgments of other people and dogs, and not as universally happy-go-lucky as say golden retrievers, but for a family member are incredible four-legged allies.

I own a 100 pound American bulldog/mastiff mix in a small apartment. He’s very happy. Daily purposeful walks or runs satisfy a dog’s instinctual drive to roam more than do running circles in a backyard.

A dog’s size has nothing to do with its activity level and exercise needs. Many smaller dogs need much more activity than big dogs, like beagles (20 lbs) vs. mastiffs (200 lbs).

When you say bulldog, do you mean English bulldogs? There are lots of bulldog breeds.

I have a bloodhound, it’s a pretty fuckin’ awesome dog. It’s over a year old and has yet too bark, but it does bay loudly when excited.

If by “normal” you mean “not small” one that is still lower shedding and good for allergies a Portuguese Water Dog is good, and a Wheaten Terrier looks similar but is white. These are both medium sized 45-55 lbs with curly hair and friendly. And they are not too big for an apartment. Airedales are a little bigger.

If by “normal” you don’t want curly hair but a small dog is ok then get a Boston terrier. They looks like little bulldogs but with less saliva and without the foo foo hair usually associated with hypo allergenic dogs. They are pretty great dogs. They do shed a little bit compared to true “hypo allergenic” breeds like a Bichon but people with allergies can often own them.

There is a list of hypo-allergenic dogs here:
http://www.dog-breed-facts.com/dog-grooming.html

The secret to having a dog that doesn’t bark much is to get him socialized. Get him out and playing with other dogs and people. Spend alot of time out with him meeting others and having playtime with others, do NOT just leave him alone or on the balcony all the time especially when young. Meeting others will get him desensitized so that he doesn’t think every noise is someone invading his territory. Also do not be afraid of larger dogs if he is small, but encourage him to be friendly, this will cut down on yapping and also make sure he is not fear-aggressive.

Note hypo allergenic breeds often require more grooming.

[quote]SMS wrote:
Married couple living in an apartment…

must be allergy free

look like a “normal” dog…

not bark a lot

any ideas?

thanks[/quote]

I truly believe that a dog should have more than an apartment for it’s own sanity. If you both work, you will have a bored dog on your hands, and it will be likely to have behavioral issues. They need a lot of attention and excercise.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Get a Bulldog.

Don’t be lame and get a Pitbull or a Rottweiler. People only get those dogs for the “tough guy” factor, as if having one makes you some sort of badass.

There is some douchebag in my apartments that has a Pitbull. It’s a two bedroom apartment, and he has a 100 lb. Pitbull living there. Obviously he only got the Pitbull because he thinks it makes him look hard. It’s these assholes that get these Pitbulls, or Rottweilers, and don’t know how to take care of them. They just wanted a mean looking dog. Don’t be an asshole and try to keep a big dog in a small place.

Big dogs need a lot of room, and a big backyard to run around in.

Bulldogs are not big, they like people, and act like grumpy old men. Great apartment dogs.

I think you’re a cynical guy so I’m going to take your post with a grain of salt.

Many people own rottweilers and pit bulls because they have discovered that they are among the smartest, sweetest and most loyal dog breeds. Both are exceptional family dogs. They are “no-shit” in their mentality and judgments of other people and dogs, and not as universally happy-go-lucky as say golden retrievers, but for a family member are incredible four-legged allies.

I own a 100 pound American bulldog/mastiff mix in a small apartment. He’s very happy. Daily purposeful walks or runs satisfy a dog’s instinctual drive to roam more than do running circles in a backyard.

A dog’s size has nothing to do with its activity level and exercise needs. Many smaller dogs need much more activity than big dogs, like beagles (20 lbs) vs. mastiffs (200 lbs).

When you say bulldog, do you mean English bulldogs? There are lots of bulldog breeds. [/quote]

Yes I meant English bulldog.

I understand your view on pitbull owners, and I was generalizing a bit there, but I do often see dipshits with pitbulls. Like the guy in my apartment complex, he lives on the seond floor and has a small balcony that he just leaves the dog out on while he isn’t there. That’s animal abuse if you ask me. The poor thing looks so miserable.

You can’t deny the fact that many people get pitbulls because they think it makes them look tough. If you watch enough rap videos you see all the rappers with pitbulls with chains around their necks, like it’s a hard core thing or whatever. Pitbulls get a bad rep because of shit head owners that just want a pitbull for the tough guy factor.

Here in Michigan all stray pitbulls are put to sleep, there are no pitbulls in the animal shelters. Apparently people still use them for dogfighting out here.

Anyway, I don’t think it’s a great idea to try and keep a larger dog in a smaller apartment. My mom has a German shepherd adn she LOVES to run around and play fetch and all that shit. She has a nice big backyard to run around in, and if it’s raining or snowing she has to stay inside, she gets quite antsy when she has to stay inside for long periods of time.