T Nation

Need Dog Help!

So…I have a seven year old Terrier and a two year old pug. I’m moving out of my parents house in the fall and taking my pug with me.

The pug was raised with the westie, and to me it seems like they are in love - always side by side, cleaning each other, playing, etc.

Will the pug be depressed living on her own for the first time? Should I get a cat in the new house maybe? I can’t get her a new puppy, that will be way too much training while I’m away at college. Thanks guys.

Dogs do get attached to other dogs easily…your dog may get a little depressed but the pug will get over it.

A cat would help

[quote]HangerBaby wrote:
Dogs do get attached to other dogs easily…your dog may get a little depressed but the pug will get over it.

A cat would help [/quote]

Absolutely. My mom has a German Shepherd, but she would get lonely when my mom wasn’t home. She brought home a cat and the two got along great.

Just to echo what they said, yeah it’s probably a good idea to get a cat. One of my two dogs recently died and ever since then the other dog and the cat have been teaming up for food and laying near each other. Of course I hope you realize that cats are spawned from the underbelly of Satan himself though.

Thanks a lot guys…looks like I’ll be getting a cat. I should probably give her some time on her own to see if she gets over it, though. Maybe a month or two?

I own a dog and my girlfriend owns a cat. We live together and I’ve had to Steve Irwin my dog off of my girlfriends cat because the cat swiped @ the dog and he got pissed and went after the cat. The cat was in my dog’s jaws and was about to be shaken to death until I intervened and saved the cat. Now they are in separate rooms permanently.

The pug is a smaller dog so it may not pose a problem. But do some research before randomly hooking up dogs and cats together.

Why not adopt a mature dog for a companion? You know that the only options are not either a puppy or a cat?

Dogs don’t really differentiate between other dogs vs. humans as pack members. They are more attached to higher status members, and hopefully that is you. Living “on her own” to you means without another dog but she doesn’t make that distinction like you do.