T Nation

Need critique/input

Im trying to design a strength-focused routine. I like the Westside ideas of ME and DE training, but dont want to limit myself to Squats, Deads and Bench, - but rather strength in all planes of movement, - and additonally I prefer the full squat to the powerlifter style. So here is the idea:

Do 1 ME and 1 DE exercise every session, plus supplementary (hypertrophy) work for the muscles not used for ME/DE. With my current schedule, I can commit to 3 session a week for sure, so this would maximally be every other day. Cycle the lifts as below, with the supplementary work not listed:

Day 1:
ME: Full back squat
DE: Power cleans or snatches

Day 2:
ME: Pin presses (my sticking point is about halfway)
DE: Barbell rows

Day 3:
ME: Deadlifts
DE: Full front squat

Day 4:
ME: Pullups
DE: Military press

Day 5:
ME: Full front Squat
DE: Power cleans or snatches

Day 6:
ME: Push press
DE: Pulldowns

Day 7:
ME: Rack pulls
DE: Full back squats

Day 8:
ME: Cable Rows
DE: Bench press

Any comments/ideas ? Should I mix upper/lower body for the ME/DE pairings or keep it separated as here ?

looks good… if you can withstand that then great, try it out, have you done stuff like that before? if you havnt… and you are just designing it like that, most definitly something will change in there, but dont worry about that. looks solid, intense, and hardcore.

your body is gonna take a nice beating :slight_smile:

give it a try…who knows maybe it will work…bm

Kentucky fried CNS :slight_smile:

So you think it will be “overtraining” ? Even if I follow a schedule of say tuesday, thurday, saturday and then no lifting until tuesday again ?

My suggestion would be to do the DE before the ME

I would try breaking the ME and DE up into separate weeks pendulum style, that way you wont have to worry as much about over training and can take more volume. I would still recommend some box squating as it will help your full squat and try some pause squats as well…

This thread may give you some more ideas as well:

http://t-forums.t-mag.com/read Topic.
do?id=404085

I have been trying a program that is close to what you’ve come up with. If you would like to compare notes just PM me.

Thanks for the link ! So would something like this be better

Day 1:
ME: Full squat, Pullups
Supplementary

Day 2:
DE: Bench press, Power cleans
Supplementary

Day 3:
ME: Push press, Rows
Supplementary

Day 4:
DE: Full squat, pull downs
Supplementary

Day 5:
ME: Pin press, Deadlifts/rack pulls
Supplementary

Day 6:
DE: Military press, rows
Supplementary

The repeat for another 2 weeks, afterwards switch exercises ?

you are falling into the scientific routine trap, it will only make your head explode. i liked your first routine, and that comment about putting DE before ME was good…

trying to get the routine ‘perfect’ of something you are creating works by trial and error only, so re-working it on paper over and over before you start doing it is just a waste… i have done the same thing… and i ended up changing it 1 million times…

ill stop bugging you, but my final advise is to just stop re-working it, plan it for your two week thing and just do it see how it goes. thats why creating your own programs are such a pain in the a$$.

:slight_smile:

jamnobody…good post bro…bm

good advice, - I will fill in the blanks (supplementary lifts) and get on with it…