T Nation

Need an Explanation About Results

I woke up today looked in the mirror and thought… bloody hell I look soft, I must have put on some weight at least… maybe i’m up from 164 to 167 or something, so I go to the scale and see… 159.8lb! now, i know it could be for a load of different reasons but this is pretty depressing considering-

I’m eating at least 6 meals a day and 200g+ protein, which for a guy of my size should be plenty…
My weights are going up in starting strength, even though they are still very weak

Weight training is absolutely my priority, not even college work/lessons gets as much time as all the research, eating and training I do
I have not drank alchohol in 3+ weeks to try and maximise my gains and ultimitely, look better.

So in the mirror, i’m looking worse fat wise, and on the scale, I weight less. I do not understand.

It’s really getting me down, i’ll still be giving it 100% in the weight room and never missing a meal… but it’s hard times being 160lbs, and bordering on non-visible abs, all too close to skinny fat for my liking. dont flame me for “trying to keep abs” either, because i certainly dont have a case of that

are you eating carbs and fat too? calorie surplus?

Sounds like its that time of the month again!

6 meals of what?

This may sound strange, but if you’re losing weight then you’re not eating enough.

You need to eat more food. If you are not gaining weight, you have to eat more food. This is an indisputable fact. Eat a LOT more food, get the scale moving, and make sure you are getting stronger every workout to ensure the weight gained is mostly muscle.

This is not rocket science. It really IS painfully simple.

your in college are you getting any sleep?

Sometimes the body goes through various changes, keep gaining strength and see what happens in a few weeks.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Sounds like its that time of the month again![/quote]

Think that may be most accurate answer haha… i just got pretty pissed off this morning and i’m sure it must be a fluctuation really.

I really am eating enough… diet (today for example)

Meal 1: 4 Eggs + 2 slices of toast with peanut butter breakfast + 40g protein from protein shake

Meal 2: Tortilla wrap with around 70-100g of turkey/ham slices… or a 100g+ of chicken if i have it. Also some cheese + mayo + branston

Meal 3: 100g packet of turkey, sausage roll (not ideal but.)

Meal 4: 120g Falafels +

Meal 5 (an hour later): having pasta with around 70g of mince i’d estimate

Meal 6: Meal 2: Tortilla wrap with around 70-100g of turkey/ham slices… or a 100g+ of chicken if i have it. Also some cheese + mayo + branston

Meal 7: 40g shake 20g whey protein/20 casien protein

I’m really hoping it’s a fluctuation because it’s already expensive as it is and that’s working out at almost 80g of protein just for breakfast and about 230g of protein per day for my 164 bodyweight.

So i suppose the question here is has anyone noticed their weight unexplainably dropping one day then being back to normal in the next day or two?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
your in college are you getting any sleep?

Sometimes the body goes through various changes, keep gaining strength and see what happens in a few weeks.[/quote]

College as in 16-18 here so it’s not a total party until i go to university in around 6 months. I get on average 7-8 1/2 hour sleep i would estimate… usually shoot for 9ish but takes awhile to get to sleep

OK guys I may have jumped the gun a little bit, just re-weighed myself and came out as 161… but 163.6 with clothes on… i realise now i may have recorded 164 with clothes on. I am an idiot. oh dear. /threadfail

Feel free to still comment if you don’t think i’m eating enough, though.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
OK guys I may have jumped the gun a little bit, just re-weighed myself and came out as 161… but 163.6 with clothes on… i realise now i may have recorded 164 with clothes on. I am an idiot. oh dear. /threadfail

Feel free to still comment if you don’t think i’m eating enough, though.[/quote]

You are still not eating enough.

How many calories is that? Doesn’t look like too much…

What kind of time period are we talking about here?

I doubt that’s over 3,000 calories, maybe 2,500. Best to weigh and write down everything you eat so you know exactly what your calories are, don’t guess at it.

[quote]TNBrian wrote:
What kind of time period are we talking about here?[/quote]

The 164 was a week or so back, but it may have been clothed as i realised…

@my diet: A quick but (reasonably) accurate fitday reckoned:

3,320 cals
104.5g fat
220.8 carbs
216.6 protein

calories apparently:
Fat
35 %
Carbs
33 %
Protein
32 %

It would definitely be no less then 3000 and on some days i eat more then I have/will today easily

Follow your strength levels, if they’re going up and you’re not ragingly hungry, keep doing what you’re doing. If they plateau or tank, start eating a lot more.

I don’t normally recommend this because it’s not something I think is applicable for the long term goal (just in the immediate time period). However, fluctuations in weight can happen due to stress, sleep, overactive CNS (indirectly, of course), whatever.

You still need to eat more. But if you’ve been making progress for a while and this is a road bump, chances are as long as your strength is going up you’ll eventually start gaining again, soon, whenever your body sorts out the cause of the stress. If you haven’t made progress on the scale for a while, then you’re not eating enough and disregard what I said above.

Stress, even stress you are unaware of, can do ridiculous things to a person. I lost 40 lbs (and did not get leaner) against my will over a period of 3 months when preparing my thesis and defense.

I was still in the gym regularly, though not as often, and I was still trying to keep my weight up through eating, but the stress on my system basically destroyed years of work in a matter of months.

So, yeah, you could be going through a short-term fluctuation.

STOP CALORIE COUNTING AND START PROTEIN COUNTING…THEN GO BY HUNGER!

Ummmmm I read somewhere that it depends on what time of the day you weigh yourself.
If you weigh yourself in the morning, I think you will be lighter than if you did later, idk, just somethin I saw.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
This may sound strange, but if you’re losing weight then you’re not eating enough.[/quote]

This may sound even stranger, but the body is capable of down-regulating its metabolism to maintain or even lose weight despite increased caloric consumption.

http://www.google.com/search?q=feed+efficiency&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

The lowest common denominator isn’t calories, it’s hormones.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
This may sound strange, but if you’re losing weight then you’re not eating enough.

This may sound even stranger, but the body is capable of down-regulating its metabolism to maintain or even lose weight despite increased caloric consumption.

http://www.google.com/search?q=feed+efficiency&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

The lowest common denominator isn’t calories, it’s hormones.[/quote]

Yeah, but for a guy who weighs 160 pounds, don’t you think it’s more likely that he just needs to eat more?

read some of the links though, pretty interesting.