Need an Ab Routine

I’ve been in and out of martial arts since 1970. Currently, I olympic lift. I have been a power lifter. I’ve got decent numbers and I’m 48. ALL TIME BEST AB EXERCISE IS FROGS. Hang from bar bring knees to elbows. One set of twenty five and you’re an official abdominal stud.

Agree with the above. I would Highlky suggest resistance beyond that of your body. Med balls, cables bar bells. Etc. Even simple over head walks can be great and all other angels with added resistance.

To go along with the above one extremely Brutal one I found is much the same as the frog mentioned but reversed using inversion boots. Crunch/culr up to get your head as near to you feet as possible and slowly reverse that.

Another Great one is holdoing supermaximal ar near supermaximal loads on a decline sit up bench and do eccentric holds. with a 15second pause/neagtive. Brutal.

Do as many excersizes as you can standing. Pushes pulls etc… Builds a strong and functional core.

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]Babalu wrote:
Im a Pl and an amateur MMA fighter…

on sunday i attempted a PR squat of 315 and nailed it but in the process tore one of my middle abdominal muscles. Also sometimes when i dead my abs feel like they are about to tear. I dont want a six-pack, my bf is too high for that, i just want strong abs and know next to nothing about really strengthening the abs…thanx[/quote]

Put your back up against a
dipping rack for knee ups. Lift your knees in the up position so that they are parallel to the ground. Place a plate on your knees and hold it there for time. Do this three times for time. Work up to :60 with a 45lb. plate (you won’t be anywhere near that right now). Oh…you are going to have very very strong abs from doing this.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Babalu wrote:
Im a Pl and an amateur MMA fighter…

on sunday i attempted a PR squat of 315 and nailed it but in the process tore one of my middle abdominal muscles. Also sometimes when i dead my abs feel like they are about to tear. I dont want a six-pack, my bf is too high for that, i just want strong abs and know next to nothing about really strengthening the abs…thanx

Put your back up against a
dipping rack for knee ups. Lift your knees in the up position so that they are parallel to the ground. Place a plate on your knees and hold it there for time. Do this three times for time. Work up to :60 with a 45lb. plate (you won’t be anywhere near that right now). Oh…you are going to have very very strong abs from doing this.
[/quote]

Isn’t this more hip flexors than abs?

TNT

[quote]jamej wrote:
I’ve been in and out of martial arts since 1970. Currently, I olympic lift. I have been a power lifter. I’ve got decent numbers and I’m 48. ALL TIME BEST AB EXERCISE IS FROGS. Hang from bar bring knees to elbows. One set of twenty five and you’re an official abdominal stud.[/quote]

For a gymnast (or even ex-gymnast)this is considered a WARM-UP exercise.

Reverse the proceedure. Hang by the back of your knees and bring your elbows to your knees. That’s the other warm-up exercise that gymnasts do. For strength work, hang by your toes (or gravity boots) and reach for the bar.
Use a spotter.

TNT