Need Advice, Son Taking Steroids

[quote]Grumpy_Bob wrote:
Well, this ain’t good.

I had him read the SDI article, this thread, and WideGuy’s PM response, and he is still convinced that this is the way to go since “all the guys at school took this exact stuff last year and it worked for them.” I’d confiscate them if I could find them, but then he’d just buy more. I can advise him, talk to him, even lecture him, but he’s still got to make his own decisions.

Since he is going to continue taking them, are there any early warning signs that I can watch for? My wife feels strongly that his personality has changed in the last few days and he got in a wreck on his way to school this morning. He apparently was speeding and cut somebody off, and they couldn’t stop in time.

This may be a dumb question, but I hear that acne can come from improper use, but how long does it take to show up? What about the man-boobs thing? He has no anti-estrogen, so if he takes it for a month and then stops, what should we watch for?

Sorry for all the questions, it’s that damn paternal instinct again…[/quote]

The best advice I’ve read here is to gently push him to this site and point out all the hardcore (yes, its hardcore b/c here you’ll get the truth and not necessarily some politically correct crap) information available for his perusal should he decide upon this course. In fact, tell him, if he intends to do something like this, he should at least do it correctly…don’t get the impression I’m advocating his using, I’m advocating his education and if you push, he’ll pull.

And also, I’d point out that ANY kind of training for an 18 year old is going to elicit results. Just b/c his buddies took something and lifted doesn’t mean the results were due to what they took - but it has everything to do with their training and 18 year old hormones!

Bottom line, as well intentioned as you are, you are ill equippped to argue and/or inform him so just tell him about this great site where he can get all the information he needs if this is what he chooses - the folks here are more than qualified to school him thereafter - and as an added bonues, he’ll get steroid users here telling him there is no need to start now at age 18 - you won’t get some “father” who has never smelled a steroid telling him no, he’ll get his own contemporaries telling him no.

Just my two cents. And remember, you and the wife push, the the strong willed will pull. I know, I was, and remain “strong willed”… :slight_smile:

Good luck and get him over here.

Steve

Well there are worse things he could do - like smoke tobacco. An insanely addictive, expensive, habit forming and cancer causing drug that is widely available, hard to kick, tears down your fitness and has hundreds of negative effects.

Seriously he is not a kid, he is 18, get him some education, get him onto T-Nation, let him make his own choices.

If you ask me at that age you’d be better spending your cash on good food and your time on many a squat. After 5-7 years maybe he can think about steroids.

Get him on this site!

Man if this site was around when I was 18 and my dad put me onto it I’d be the happiest chap you could imagine.

Heck, if just ONE ARTICLE from this site existed back then I’d have been happy instead of the rubbish that was around. In your face Charles Atlas.

The biggest gift you can give him is this: treat him like a man and let him know the decisions he makes are his own responsiblility and share with him knowledge resources like this, and let him at it.

Don’t present him with a list of scientific facts shoved down his throat like a lecture. Don’t make him feel he was “caught out” and is a naughty boy. 18 is considered full adult in my country. But I wouldn’t treat anyone of any age like a child.

I seriously doubt he would use steroids if he read through this site. He probably turned to them because he wasn’t getting results exercising / eating - and that is probably coz he was doing it wrong. If he learns to do it right he should be happy making progress. Also he will read and realise that his age / level of development is not the time to use them, and money is better spent elsewhere.

Good luck!

[quote]MODOK wrote:
There seems not to be a whole lot you can do, considering he’s 18 and you can’t dicipline him anyway.
[/quote]

Sorry to go on a tangent… but MODOK, its pretty obvious you’re a smart guy, and definitly know your shit (about steroids, in this case) but I think this was one of the most stupid/ignorant comments I’ve read from you.

To the OP, alot of the replies have said its not the real stuff, but I agree with alot of the replies that he’s going to want to use the real stuff soon.

Theres plenty you can do, whether its worthwhile or not is how much you feel its necessary. Being a young 18, if I were in his shoes (uneducated and impatient, I’m assuming) and other people knew the dangers of it, I’d sure as hell want them to let me know. If hes going to be stubborn after that, you can at least know you tried to do your part.

Either way, good luck. PS… You definitly could send him our way, there are plenty of people on here that know their shit, and could point him in the right direction.

[quote]WideGuy wrote:
Bro you’re 20 and juicing? How long have you been on, and assuming that the impression I’m getting is correct don’t you think you might not wanna add your 2 cc’s on this one bro. Your kinda young to be on? Btw sorry if this is already been explained.[/quote]

I wasn’t referring to just steroids. I was a pretty hard-headed teenager and I had to learn a lot of things the hard way. I know I’m young to add advice on the topic but when my parents told me it’s my life and my consequences I have to live with(basically good luck) it was a wake-up call that I was no longer rebeling against anyone but myself. And I’m not really on, I just dabbled a little.

Mate that sucks. He’s seen the truth but he still won’t back down. Plus he sounds like a stooge anyway. What he has is grade A crap so that car wreck and his attitude is 100% natural him.

There’s nothing I hate more than willfully ignorant people. At least when I argue with my parents I bring my A game, research whatever it is and tell them why I feel the way I do.

I live with a step dad too but I can’t really offer much advice as I don’t know your son. All I can say is keep giving him the truth, research it, print it off, and give it to him. The rest is up to him, at some point it has to click. Getting stuck in to a guy like that is just going to make him more defiant.

Good luck bro, just think once you get passed this hurdle you get to try and convince him that he shouldn’t take the real thing yet either. Isn’t being a parent great.