T Nation

Need Advice, On TRT for a Year

I turn 36 this month and have been running 1 to 1.3cc of 250mg cyp weekly for a year. Everything seems fine but I thought it would be prudent to ask the question, is there anything I should be conscious of or worried about? I have heard it’s a good idea to to HCG and kickstart my own endocrine system for maintenance, but also that the amount I do is not concerning and I should be fine. Please advise.

[quote]DodgeHombre wrote:
I turn 36 this month and have been running 1 to 1.3cc of 250mg cyp weekly for a year. Everything seems fine but I thought it would be prudent to ask the question, is there anything I should be conscious of or worried about? I have heard it’s a good idea to to HCG and kickstart my own endocrine system for maintenance, but also that the amount I do is not concerning and I should be fine. Please advise. [/quote]

If I were you I’d be most worried about elevated estradiol, hematocrit, and RBC.

You’re on a VERY high dose of testosterone. It’s not often that we see somebody on this type of dose without the above 3 lab values being an issue.

I’d also have concerns about lipids and liver function.

If you could post your most recent bloodwork, with reference ranges, that would be very helpful.

In terms of it being a lot, that’s the exact opposite opinion of every other source on the entire internet. Not trying to be a jerk, but it is. Everything says 100-200mg is considered minimal, 500mg considered max. I’ve been at a steady 250-280.

In terms of it being a lot, that’s the exact opposite opinion of every other source on the entire internet. Not trying to be a jerk, but it is. Everything says 100-200mg is considered minimal, 500mg considered max. I’ve been at a steady 250-280. [/quote]

500mg/week is not TRT, it’s a steroid cycle. For many guys, the same applies to dose of 250-280mg/week. I’m not sure who your sources are, but they certainly aren’t doctors who specialize in TRT. I’m not trying to be a dick either, I’m really not. It doesn’t bother me at all if people want to use steroids, but there’s no way that somebody is within the physiological range while on 500mg/week…or anything close to it.

Most guys on TRT do great in the 100-200mg/week range, some need even less. There are some instances where a guy may need more than 200mg/wk for TRT, but it’s far from the norm.

Also, you asked what some potential concerns would be, so I listed some. Regardless of TRT or on a cycle, the labs that I listed are still a concern.

In terms of it being a lot, that’s the exact opposite opinion of every other source on the entire internet. Not trying to be a jerk, but it is. Everything says 100-200mg is considered minimal, 500mg considered max. I’ve been at a steady 250-280. [/quote]

And everything on the internet is true. :slight_smile:

The average TRT dose (for injected T-cyp) as prescribed by ethical doctors is about 100 mg per week. Many need less. Some need more, if their blood tests justify it, but it is rare for someone to legitimately need more than 150 mg/week, and very rare for someone to need more than 200 mg/week. Basically you have to have a bit of a freaky metabolism to need 250 mg/week.

Doses higher than necessary bring risks of high hematocrit, for example, which can cause a lot of cardiovascular damage.

I use 180mg of test cyp per week, but I metabolize testosterone at a really fast rate due to very low SHBG. I’ve never heard of 250-325mg per week for TRT…“blast and cruise” maybe.

If you’re running 325mg (1.3cc) of testosterone cypionate per week that’s a cycle…and a year is a REALLY long cycle. You probably feel great right now doing that much (I haven’t tried it, but have thought about it before), but long term there are going to be problems. There’s just no getting around it. I’m 49 years old and try to balance risks/rewards. I wouldn’t mind trying that dose for a short period, but I’d like to live past 70, so I know I wouldn’t do it for an extended period of time. Starting at that dose at only 34 years old and expecting to live to a ripe old age…is not going to end well.

Are you being prescribed this dose by a doctor, and if so are they monitoring labs closely?

Well, that’s a lot of bad news. No, no blood monitoring of any sort. I’m waiting for insurance to kick in. Do you recommend dialing it back, then? Maybe to the 200 range, and gradually down to 150?

I realize that none of you are signed on for my life story so I’ll spare you, but to clear up my motivation for this, I get mild depression and severe anxiety in the long winters in MN. It was so bad I had two TMI’s from stress when I was 30. Facial hair growth will decrease and body hair will basically only grow on one half of my body (the right side, I’m virtually hairless though). My doctors wouldn’t listen to me, tried to force me on antidepressants, refused to even see me halfway at Xanax, and I was opposed. I did the test as a possible solution and it WORKED. Everyone I spoke to told me to just do 1cc/wk and “cruise.” So here we are. Since then I have experienced no complications, some light bacne and chest acne, but nothing major. General mood elevation, but no anger fits, and I also drink a lot of tequila.

I hear you man, a lot of us were in similar situations. Doctors wouldn’t listen or even acknowledge that anything was wrong, etc.

You’ve come to the right place though. Nobody here is going to set you up for failure like whoever gave you the initial advice.

My advice would be to immediately drop your dose down to a total of 150mg/week, split into 75mg every 3.5 days.

You’ll also need some bloodwork to assess the damage that your high dose has done. Your hormone values won’t normalize until ~6 weeks on your new protocol, but I’d want to see your hematocrit, RBC, liver values, lipid panel, and estradiol ASAP.

Much appreciated. So what’s my most likely case scenario? Any irreversible catastrophe? Or just need to ween off the high dosage and normalize? Will I need to run HCG? Clomid? Like I was saying, I’m fine. The most noticeable effect I have had over the last 50 weeks is some bacne and chest acne, and not a ton of it either. No huge gains. Some, but I had expected much more. And I have experienced ZERO sexual side effects, positive or otherwise. None.

Where the heck have you read this?

DH, we have 7 stickies in this forum that you can look at.

The R in TRT is “replacement” for restoring youthful hormone levels.

Much appreciated. So what’s my most likely case scenario? Any irreversible catastrophe? Or just need to ween off the high dosage and normalize? Will I need to run HCG? Clomid? Like I was saying, I’m fine. The most noticeable effect I have had over the last 50 weeks is some bacne and chest acne, and not a ton of it either. No huge gains. Some, but I had expected much more. And I have experienced ZERO sexual side effects, positive or otherwise. None.
[/quote]

Your blood values should normalize after you’ve been at a more reasonable dose for awhile, but I’d wager that your hematocrit is sky high right now, so you would probably benefit from donating some blood ASAP. That won’t completely fix it if it’s super high, but it will help tremendously. It’ll come down more once you’ve been on a better protocol though.

No need for Clomid right now, but hCG will help your testicles regain function again and reverse the atrophy. To be honest I wouldn’t add any other meds until you get the other stuff sorted out.

The lack of sexual improvement could definitely be attributed to elevated estradiol, which you most certainly had/have on the dose of your testosterone you’ve been taking without an AI to control it. That would certainly cause the acne as well.

Most states you can get your blood tested using an online blood test service. Your E2 is more then likely way out of range.

I like my trt dose to get me around 1300TT… I get a blood test every other month to make sure all is well tho… Its not all doom and gloom that you have been on 280mg/w for a year… The likely hood of your T250 being properly does is slim. If your going to be on trt you owe it to yourself and your family to do it right. You can do it yourself, but I would try and try again to find a doctor. I was lucky, the third doctor was a good one…

Get your blood tested… No one can help you with dosage or much of anything without a blood test… a min you need a CBC and A male hormone panel with E2 tested…

Good luck