T Nation

Need Advice on Job and GF

They say that a wise man seeks councel before making decisions. So thats why I’m here; to seek councel from you all.

Last night I had a deep conversation with my GF regarding my line of work; window washing. I’ve been self employed for 10 months and going.

To get to the point, she claims that regardless of how much money I make ( up to 80 grand a year by yourself in my area) she dosnt have the same respect as she does for a doctor or corperate 9 to 5er or a lawyer. As a window cleaner “she claims” dosent use his mind.

She wants me to pursue another line of work that is more prestigious and brings in a steady paycheck.

I want to hear what all haft to say about this. She is 21 years old.

If your making 80 grand a year and enjoy what you do and your gf doesn’t approve of it, dump that bitch(the gf).

If this isn’t a joke, your GF is.

Dump her, or she will soon dump you for a doctor/lawyer/professional 9-5er; and don’t EVER change yourself for a woman if you’re happy with the way you are. There’s far too many women in this world to change who you are for one of them.

Let me give you some advice that was given to me by a very intelligent man. Wealth is developed by working for yourself. Working for others you will never develop the wealth that you will working for yourself.

Your girlfriend wants to tell her friends she is dating a lawyer or a doctor. Its embarassing for her to say she is dating a window washer. Fuck her. Leave her behind now and move on with your business. There will be many more women who will be interested in you, that won’t ridicule what you do for a living.

Imagine if the guy who opened Stanley Steemers girlfriend saying she didn’t wanna be with a guy who cleaned carpets or the guy who opened Jiffy Lube’s gf saying she didn’t wanna be with a mechanic. I bet those guys would be very glad they didn’t listen to their woman.

Not to mention in most markets lawyers and doctors don’t even make 80k/year starting out. Not to mention the school expenses and time lost. You are already on your way to being wealthy. If it ain’t broke bro don’t fix it. Only thing that needs fixing is your relationship. End it.

I wish I made 80k a year…

How much does she make? How prestigious is her line of work?

Think of it this way…

there are millions of women that won’t give two shits what you do for a living as long as you make money and don’t come home and bitch about it…

sounds like the gf is a little too concerned with how others look at her…a girl like that will never be satisfied even when she starts bangin’ the doctor or lawyer

Her: “why don’t you retire or become a window washer so you have more time with me”

Chris Rock said it best, "you can’t make a woman happy, you could make her come 10 ten times with a diamond dick and she’d be like, “this diamond dick is cloudy…why didn’t you go to Tiffany’s…you’re so fuckin’ cheap!”

I would also like to add if your making 80k a year, more women will come.

You are not a window washer. You are a CEO. That should give her the bragging rights she wants.

As long as YOU are happy with your line of work and making 80K a year, that’s all that matters. It doesn’t matter what other people think, if she doesn’t like you or respect you for the person you are, then it seems to me she is materialistic and is just looking at a ‘job title’, not the quality of person you are.

There are plenty of women who will like you for who you are.

Think about it: If she wants a doctor or a lawyer, you will have to go to college for 4-5 years, then 3 years for law school, and 4 years of med school, and 4 years of fellowship, so that’s up to 13 years of additional schooling, and you won’t be making good money until much after that time frame. Then, possibly, if you take this path, the same girl might say ‘you are taking too long to make money’ and find someone else.

Keep on keepin on with what you have going on now, it seems like it’s working good for you.

Zap hit this one on the head. You are a CEO.

One of my best friends is a mechanic. When he meets women he says he is a mechanic. Little do they know he owns three shops. His mentality is that they will like him for who he is and not for his wealth or job. This system has worked for him so far.

The main thing that I notice on this thread, is there is not a single response defending the GF. And there won’t be. I sincerely hope the OP came here asking for counsel and intends to listen to the counsel he has received.

I’m sorry about your situation because I think you have the wrong girl.

I think she shouldn’t be interested in your job, she should be interested in you.

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
Let me give you some advice that was given to me by a very intelligent man. Wealth is developed by working for yourself. Working for others you will never develop the wealth that you will working for yourself.

Your girlfriend wants to tell her friends she is dating a lawyer or a doctor. Its embarassing for her to say she is dating a window washer. Fuck her. Leave her behind now and move on with your business. There will be many more women who will be interested in you, that won’t ridicule what you do for a living. [/quote]

This is good advice.

As a general note, you should never be ashamed of what you do. The only time you should feel shame is when you are not giving your career 100%.

If you enjoy what you are doing, you should walk tall.

Dump the ho.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for anyone who’s found something that they enjoy doing, and can make a living from it.

Ask her why she doesn’t respect it as much.

Are you sure that this is how she feels, and it’s not a result of her mates making fun because her bloke is ‘only’ a window washer?
At 21, she probably still feels judged by what her friends think, and they may ‘compete’ with each other.

It may even be that it’s her parents who have the problem. They may be worried that you won’t be able to look after her?

Just thought I’d try and give a different view of things from what’s already been posted.

No offense but your gf sounds like a lousy cunt.

If you enjoy what you do, take pride in it, and make a good living then you are better off without a stupid bitch for a gf. Tell her to fuck herself.

Ooh, I had another thought.

Are you planning on expanding your business at all?
If so, you could pacify her with the fact that you’ll be window washing for a while, but at some point will be in the position of having people who do the work for you, and you supervise/manage them?

[quote]WelshBoy wrote:
Ooh, I had another thought.

Are you planning on expanding your business at all?
If so, you could pacify her with the fact that you’ll be window washing for a while, but at some point will be in the position of having people who do the work for you, and you supervise/manage them?[/quote]

I wouldn’t even bother.

She’s already got that mentality and you can’t change it, so get yourself someone better.

Well, I have two observations for you:

1. She would rather have someone in a suit and tie, and hates his job, than someone who is happy and financially secure?

2. If you were to get a suit and tie job, and the relationship does not work out, how much will you regret giving up your business?

1. I’m not sure if anybody read what you said.
  2. If they did they wouldn’t have enough details to be able to answer your question.

You said they can make up to 80 a year, but is this what you make? How does this person making 80 a year make his 80? If you have one person out of 1000 who worked for 40 years making 10k a year then made 80, then she is just looking out for her future, as you should.

On the other hand if this guy opened up a window washing company, and this is what you aspire to do then maybe you need to better reflect this to her and your plan of action.

Women–95% in a relationship do what you let them do. If you handle yourself and your business in an intelligent manner, then you can tell her to shut the fuck up and finish eating her dinner that you helped make possible next time you guys are arguing.

Or make her jealous wash a nice looking woman’s window down the street.

However if your asking people on the internet if you should dump her, maybe you don’t like her and you should get some and get going.

I think you have found some wise council here my friend, lose the dead weight, she is just holding you back!
One other point for you to keep in mind is that you will also have more time to train if you dump her HEY BUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY!