T Nation

Need Advice on Abs and Calves

Im am currently on a 4 day split and wanted some advice on abs and calves. I try my best to train instinctively so my workouts are always a little different depending on what im lacking or want to improve. I currently do 15 sets for workout (mostly compound exercises and little isolation) and what I’m really lacking is my calves and want to hit them more than I currently am. As of right now im working them twice a week and for my abs I hit them once a week. I understand less is more and don’t want to overtrain, but I was wondering what everybodys thoughts are as far as increasing sets to add some calf and abs to the end of my workout. I’ll post my current routine below. Thanks in advanced!

Monday: chest, shoulders, triceps 15 sets
Tuesday: off or cardio
Wednesday: back, traps, biceps 15 sets
Thursday: off or cardio
Friday: abs and what ever needs work 15 sets
Saturday: off or cardio
Sunday: legs and calves 15 sets

Additional info: im a natural body builder on a 40/40/20 split for cutting and my goals are to become bigger, stronger, and leaner per transformation each year. Here’s more detail to my current schedule, please keep in mind that some of the exercises switch weekly, so it’s not always the same but any other advice on my training would be appreciated!

Chest, shoulder, triceps: (Monday)

Dumbbell press 3 x 8-12 reps
Machine fly 3 x 8-12 reps
Dumbbell shoulder press 3 x 8-12 reps
Dumbell Lateral raises 3 x 8-15 reps
Weighted dips 3 x to failure

Back, traps, biceps: (Wednesday)

Deadlift: 3 x 10-15 reps
Weighted Pull UPS: 3 x to failure
Chin ups 2 x to failure
Dumbell Shrugs 3 x 12-15 reps
Rear delt flys 1 x to failure
Preacher curl 3 x 8- 12 reps

Abs and calves (Friday)

Single leg calf raises 1 x 15-20 reps (each leg)
Seated calf raise 5 x 15-20 reps
Abdominal machine 3 x 15-20 reps
Weighted leg raises 3 x 15-20 reps
Obiques 3 x 40 reps

Legs and calves: (Sunday)

Back squat 4 x 15-20 reps
Romanian Deadlift 4 x 15-20 reps
Calf raises 3 x 15-20 reps
Seated calf raises 4 x 15-20 reps

I’m not exactly an advanced lifter but I don’t think abs need their own day. The big compound lifts and the bodyweight exercises work them pretty well already. Maybe a couple of sets at the end of other workouts. Calves I’m less sure about though. I’ve heard a lot of different things from different lifters.

I forgot the name but a thread mentioned calves daily, 100 reps = 10 min., 2 sec up, 2 sec. hold, 2 sec. down.
It is done barefeet, try to avoid falling, allways maintaining our equilibrium is key, only contact allowed is the ground/floor. 30 days get results.