T Nation

Need Advice, Need to Gain

Ok, I am having problems. I have been lifting for two years or so, with minimal success. I weigh about 70kg, but it seems no matter how much I lift, I just don’t pack on any muscle or strength.

I’ve come to the conclusion that all of my conclusions are wrong and I need to start over from scratch. I am utterly confused with the information I have been finding, and even more confused when I read articles that just seem to completely contradict each other.

Here is my situation: I am not big. I wanna get stronger and bigger on a relatively constant basis. I also live in Japan and work at an awful gym because gyms here are like 100$ a month, which I don’t have to spend.

So far, I have been doing the Big Boy Basics plan on this site, and am feeling positive about it. I don’t want to be all huge, I just want to have some muscles to show, plus some strength so I don’t feel like the weak man I am as of now.

My diet is most likely awful, and I also need help with this. I don’t really know how to cook, nor what to cook. Many of the foods here do not have nutritional labels on them, so counting calories and fat intake is difficult, plus, I wouldn’t even know how to really do that if it was there. I think this is really my worst problem.

If anyone who lives in Japan and lifts can give me some advice, that would be great! For those who haven’t been here before, a lot of the food is the same, but they don’t really have ovens, so things like baked chicken are out of the question I think.

So if anyone has any advice about these topics, or know which articles are perfect for my situation, your advice would be invaluable. Thanks!

bump

1. fix your diet.
  2. What does your training plan look like?

Want to grow? Eat more and sleep more. Lifting comes next. You can have the most well designed workout on the planet and without those two things you’ll never grow.

Ok, I read the Massive Eating Parts I and II articles and I calculated that I need to eat 3340 calories a day to sustain myself. So I’m currently severely undereating.

I think what I’m really lost about exactly what things I should eat. The stuff here doesn’t really have nutritional information on the back of the foods, so I really don’t know what general things are good. I know chicken breast is good in protein and whatnot, but what about tofu? And like if I scramble some eggs? And white bread? And pasta? I ask because these things are part of my main diet as of now, which I need to change.

My exercise plan is 8 sets of 3 with 60 second breaks:

Day 1 (Upper Body)

Barbell Bench Press
Seated or Chest-Supported Rows
Pull-ups or Pulldowns
Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Day 2 (Lower Body)

Barbell Squats
Leg Raises
Dumbbell Deadlifts
Decline Bench Sit-Ups
Standing Calf Raises

Day 3 (Off)

Perform 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio.

Day 4 (Upper Body)

45? Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
45? Dumbbell Rows
Standing Barbell Curls
Standing Reverse Grip Triceps Pressdown

Day 5 (Lower Body)

Hack Squats
Lying Leg Curls
Lying Leg Raises
Seated Calf Raises

Days 6 and 7 (Off)

Perform 15-20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio if desired.

Simple m,anb eat real food above all EAT. But eat real things like meat, things that move make noise, breath etc, and things that come from these things like milk, eggs, meats babies. All good.

Plants tons of the fruits, veggies and nut all come from plants or are plants eat em.

All the diets massive eating included have list of foods meal plans etc. Go check the beginners thread above it has a ton of links for this type of stuff.

Eat lift gains

Hope that helps,
Phill

[quote]iwannaliftacar wrote:
Many of the foods here do not have nutritional labels on them, so counting calories and fat intake is difficult, plus, I wouldn’t even know how to really do that if it was there. I think this is really my worst problem.
[/quote]
If you still want to find the nutritional information that is shown on food labels in the US try the USDA database. It can be used online or downloaded and contains information on many different food items.

link to USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12354500