T Nation

Need Advice, Home Gym w/ No Bench

My gym closed last week. I have a power rack and bar at home but no bench. I wont be able to get the bench shipped in until Christmas, put as many bench and hamstring exercises as you can for my situation, right off my chest is my weak point so I don’t think floor presses for a month will cut it, willing to do any DIY projects or anything cheap

Unless you know how to weld, you would have to be either very brave or very weak to use a homemade bench. It looks like you are stuck with floor presses for the next few weeks.

[quote]PlutoTheGod wrote:
My gym closed last week. I have a power rack and bar at home but no bench. I wont be able to get the bench shipped in until Christmas, put as many bench and hamstring exercises as you can for my situation, right off my chest is my weak point so I don’t think floor presses for a month will cut it, willing to do any DIY projects or anything cheap [/quote]

I was in a similar situation for a month recently. I now have a bench, but I did nothing but floor presses for almost four weeks. While at first I hated it, it actually made a huge difference for me. My starting point strength went up and, as an added bonus, floor presses require you to use your arms a lot which, after several weeks, added noticeable muscle to my arms (particularly triceps).

Look at it as a positive thing and make the best of what you have.

as a 300lb guy benching in the low 400s looks like that’s not gonna work lol

Perhaps you could try some pike press ups or press ups very slowly and paused at your chest. You can perhaps do these weighted. Even slow tension pushups will work a bit for keeping up your strength . Maybe just do some HSPUs or holds against a wall especially if you are a heavier guy.
I used a wooden garden bench for a while which was very strong.

[quote]PlutoTheGod wrote:
as a 300lb guy benching in the low 400s looks like that’s not gonna work lol[/quote]
Haha…ok…I can see how that might be an issue.

Buff Dudes have a video on a DIY wooden bench on YouTube which they loaded up with plenty of weight and from memory provided a max weight rating.

Add steel brackets to all joins if you’re paranoid. That will make it buckle rather than break if it fails.

Use the time to work on your overhead pressing and all the other lifts. I workout in a power rack with no bench and usually improvise with floor pressing etc