Need Advice For My Father

Well, my Dad is out of shape. WAAAAY out of shape, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t really worried about him having a heart attack from being that way.

Anyways, he is the kind of guy who would really get into lifting/exercise if he had the time to do so and didn’t cause pain, but because of many circumstances he doesn’t really have the time. He can maybe work out 2 or 3 times a week MAX. Please don’t say that he can just make time because he honestly can’t.

Anyways, He is 6’ and about 245, and I’d say at least 60lbs overweight. Most of which is in the gut. He eats like crap which I know he CAN fix, but I just have to continue pounding into his brain.

I’ve read some articles about stress induced weight gain and it seems like that might be his problem (aside from not exercising). He’s been under the gun with his work situation for at least the last 15 years. Cortisol ring any bells?

Another big concern that has prohibited him in the past from consistently working out is sciatica in his right side. We know he gets this because is he over weight, but I don’t know the best way to get around it.

So I come to you to seek advice about which path I should take him down with the end goal of fat(gut) loss. I’m thinking I’ll just get him walking on an incline for 30 minutes on the days he can fit it in, and maybe do some lighter weight, little rest, high rep weight training. Would an elliptical be better for his sciatica?

I’m really lost here so anyone who can offer up advice or a situation similar that they’ve experienced is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, the cortisol is playing a big part, if he is under alot of stress from work- especially if its been for the past 15 years.

As for exercise, it sounds like anything will help him. Yes, incline walking and the eliptical and even riding a stationary bike will all be low impact, good beginning forms of cardio. Get him to try all three, and alternate when he feels like it- keeping him from getting bored will help him stick with it.

As for his diet, try getting him to take Flameout and greens+, as a start. Also, just cleaning up his diet a little bit will help alot.

Good job trying to help him out, just remember the only way he’ll change is if he wants it. Good luck.

Is there anything we can do about the cortisol?

[quote]Politico wrote:
Is there anything we can do about the cortisol?[/quote]

Hmm, I don’t think there is much that can be done unless the stress level can be reduced.

However, there may be some hidden minor stresses that may be controllable… since there might be an additive effect.

Things like stimulants (caffeine) comes to mind. Reducing stimulants, improving sleep, improving nutrition and so on. It might make sense to look into other stress reduction techniques, including simple ones like having some relaxing music on around the home.

Having lost about 140 lbs. on a couple of diets I’ll tell you the secret:

Wanting to do it.

Losing the weight will make a lot of his problems go away. What did it for me was realizing that my family had such an awful history of heart trouble and diabetes. I know it will sound callous but excuses are excuses. Most of what he needs to do e doesn’t need a gym for – he is quite well able to chance his eating habits and lose the gut without working out.

Don’t get me wrong,I am immensely sympathetic to him because I know how much his life will have to change. That will be hard for a few months. You might point out to him he has a great son who can help him and genuinely cares for him. If he can make up his mind I’m sure you will fall all over yourself to help him. In short, he has everything he needs. You can also always post here and get help.

Good Luck,

jj

Just put him on some Testosterone and Deca…kidding. As someone already mentioned, get him on some EFAs and greens+. Working out will help with his stress. It seems like a good workout for your father would be a dumbdowned version of the 2-day workout by Tony Gentilcore.

Keep in mind, your father is most likely not going to want to do deadlifts and squats in the beginning, so give it some time and he’ll come around.

As for diet, start incorporating Berardi’s principles. Once he starts cutting out shitty foods he’ll feel 10x better, and it becomes much easier to eat clean. Just by cutting out fast food, soda, candy, chips, it will make a huge improvement for someone who eats shitty.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know he is the only one who can make it happen so hopefully he’ll take this seriously.

Should I make him cut out coffee? He really likes his coffee to help him keep going at work.

I’m thinking I’m gonna have him do cardio four or five times a week before he goes to work and then hopefully he’ll have time for a TBT circuit training type of workout twice a week.

Thanks again, I’ll definitely get him some Flameout.

[quote]Politico wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys. I know he is the only one who can make it happen so hopefully he’ll take this seriously.

Should I make him cut out coffee? He really likes his coffee to help him keep going at work.

I’m thinking I’m gonna have him do cardio four or five times a week before he goes to work and then hopefully he’ll have time for a TBT circuit training type of workout twice a week.

Thanks again, I’ll definitely get him some Flameout. [/quote]

I wouldn’t totally cut out coffee, but maybe add in some green tea.

Well I just got back from his first work out with him and I guess I’m fairly pleased with what I’ve come up with.

I started him out with a 10 minutes incline walk and whichever speed he wanted, which turned out to be a pretty good speed walking pace; about the same speed I do.

Then we did 2 rounds of a TBT circuit type of training. We used only machines and freemotion machines. I had him to the following in this order.

Freemotion lat pull down
freemotion face pull
freemotion chest press/fly
Leg extension machine
Ham curl machine
Calf press machine
Freemotion bicep curl and tri pushdown combo machine
Back extender machine

After we went through this he wanted to do the crunch machine and hip abductors so I let him.

I had him doing 15-20 reps on these, and went through them twice (eventually going to 3 times through). I made him focus on timing, form and focusing on the muscles that were being targeted.

Then I had him hop on the elliptical and go for as long as he thought he could so that he could have a base and something to compare his progress through. He made it 6 minuets haha.

Anyways, I’m going to have him do this work out Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings and hopefully he’ll take the initiative to do cardio on the off days.

Any comments are welcome and thanks for those who helped me out already.