T Nation

Need Advice For a Split

I’ve been training for 5 years and believe it or not, have only done full body workouts. The main reason was because, hell, I just liked them and with my schedule it was the most convenient and efficient way to workout. I would change parameters every 6 weeks or so, in order to avoid adaptation.
I was looking to shock my body and try a split routine through the Summer but honestly, I don’t know where to start.
Any advise on a good routine…I’m all ears.

Stats:
40 yo
6’2"
213 lbs
about 15% bf and looking to get leaner for Summer.

I know I could do a search, but God knows, I’ll be reading forever if I type in “split routine” in the search option.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I started with fullbody workouts, then I did EDT for 6 weeks… then I started a MWF split, with an optional day on the weekend (if I can make it in)

I posted this in the training split autopsy and never got a critique…

Mon-Legs/Core
Squat
Leg Press
Calf Raises
Russian Twist
Cable Crunches
Leg Raises
Planks

Wed-Chest, Tri, Shoulders
Weighted Dips
30 Degree Incline DB Press
Standing DB OH Press
DB Lateral Raises
Tricep Pressdowns

Fri-Back, Bis
Sumo DL or Rack pulls (alternating)
Weighted Pull-ups
Chest Supported Rows
EZ Bar Curls

Optional Day
Cleans, Snatches, or High Pulls… just go in and do whatever…

I personally like this split. Never got criticism for it, but would like to hear any if available…

Any particular rep/set scheme?
thanks

btw, I’m looking for hypertrophy, at this stage. I’ll be on a lesser caloric diet to slowly lose the fat, but not too extreme.

I’m basically looking to figure which muscle groups to pair and a set/rep range. I can figure out which exercises to do.

[quote]kurmatt wrote:
btw, I’m looking for hypertrophy, at this stage. I’ll be on a lesser caloric diet to slowly lose the fat, but not too extreme.

I’m basically looking to figure which muscle groups to pair and a set/rep range. I can figure out which exercises to do.

[/quote]

First you need to realize that you need a surplus of calories if you want to build muscle. This makes burning fat extremely difficult, if not futile. If you really want to build muscle you may actually need to accept that you’ll gain a little fat in the process.

If on the other hand you want to lose fat, then you’ll need to realize that you’ll also lose some muscle. You can’t really try to do both at the same time and expect any kinds of results.

As far as training splits go, I’m personally on a similar split to the one gabex posted. It’s basically a “Push/Pull/Lower” split. In other words you work all of your upper body pushing muscles (chest, shoulders, triceps) on one day.

Then all of your upper body pulling muscles (back, biceps, and forearms) on another day. And finally all of your lower body muscles (quads, hamstrings, glutes, hip adductor/abductors, calves, anterior tibialis, etc…) on the final day.

Of course, you can switch the order around as you see fit. Some people like doing legs for the first workout, some like doing it last. Some might like placing it in the middle. It really doesn’t matter too much.

As far as sets and reps go…if you’re going for pure hypertrophy then you probably want to be somewhere in the 8-12 rep range. Realize though that it is possible to stimulate hypertrophy using a wide range of rep schemes, as long as the volume is sufficient.

As far as sets go, if you’re using 8-12 reps then you probably want to be doing 3 sets per exercise.

Hope this helps.

Good training,

Sentoguy

thanks

Look at the shut up program by Tim Henriques.

I like and recommend many of CT’s training programs/split routines (the more recent stuff).

The Super Hero workout is good for specializing on certain areas. If you’re a Precision Nutrition member, you can download a full 24-26 week program for mass gaining and pre-contest training.

I finish the Super Hero workout this week and move onto pre-contest training next week to get lean and mean for summer.

I’m happy with the results so far, and in 8 weeks, I should be shredded!

Also, check out CT’s article on Vince Gironda. There’s some good split info from a true legend in bodybuilding (and who has also influenced CT’s work to a great extent).