Need Advice for 14 Yr. Old Son

u guys r great with advice!

This doenst seem to be going very well now does it…people saying that if you play soccer to not eat to many carbs!! what on earth you base recommendations like that on i dont know but anyway, lets try and help instead of giving the OP a hard time and poor advice.

If you’re step son wont listen to direct advice, like most 14 yr olds, its best to help him educate himself. That way he’ll feel more in control of his diet and be able to make informed decisions for himself instead of just feeling like some adult is trying to tell him what to do and how to do it.

I’d personally go down the route of buying him a solid nutrition book that doesnt go overboard with the carbophobia or any radicalised views, just something pretty generalised.

Unfortunatly I dont know of a specific book to recommend for someone of his age group. 150 healthiest foods on earth by Jonny Bowden is an incredible book, really informative and easy to read, but it can get quite complex as far as breakdowns of nutrients are concerned so I dont know if it would suit his age group. Its also not sports specific. Its more of a general healthy eating book, from which you could pick up specific points to create a sports specific diet.

I dont know if any of the guys on here might be able to recommend a more suitable book for his age, if not, thats a very good start!

[quote]whiteisle wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I’m a little worried about his preoccupation with his diet as well. He’s not the type of person that’s gonna be told to just eat and it have any affect. I’m gonna do some digging and find a sound program that might get him to eat more. Really, all these guys saying he just needs to eat…really? If that worked, I wouldn’t have posted the question. Shish. But I do appreciate your kind reply. Thanks!

[quote]EF5127 wrote:
I see some advice I like and some not so much. I’m 20 years old and I can deff relate to his mindset considering it wasn’t all that long ago for myself. I think it’d be truly sad to see someone overly obsessive about their dietary habits at such a young age if it meant not enjoying certain foods, effecting him negatively as in making him self conscious or any sort of depression. But if all he wants to do is lift weights and eat healthy then I’d totally support that. Considering he’s 14 and 5% bf carbs should really be the least of his worries. He should just be concentrated on nothing more than eating REAL food. Yeah, you could give him a run down on macros, glycemic index and all the science, but that’d probably be meaningless to him at the age 14. Meat, Fruits, Veggies…anything real. There’s a big difference between steak and potatoes vs pizza and pop. He has to understand IT’S NOT A FEAR OF CARBS BUT A FEAR OF SUGAR that he should be concerned with. By the way most athletes I know don’t have all that stellar diets and didn’t even know what it meant at 14. I know some pretty decent athletes to say the least as well. OHL, AHL, NHL, Olympic, CFL, D1 Schools. I’d encourage him to do his best with eating as healthy as possible, but at the same time don’t get too bent out of shape about it. He;s a young growing male, who’s active and at 5% BF!!! I’m jealous. Honestly, I think it’s just a phase. By the sounds of things he has a decent trainer and looks like you’re fairly concerned as a parent, so I’m sure things will work out. Cheers.[/quote]
[/quote]

I misunderstood. If you’re actually looking for a specific plan. Me and many others will highly recommend the “Quality Mass Diet” it’s off this site. I still use it to this day. It’s incredibly simple, yet effective. 5 meals, 2 of which are shakes. A ton of great tasting, 100% healthy calories and it’s practical. Just search “Quality Mass Diet” on here. Don’t ever let him get roped into that “JUST EAT” bullshit. Child hood obesity is out of control. Obvs at 5% it’s no concern, but I don’t care what kind of shape you’re in. Shovelling shit into your body isn’t good under any circumstances. Anyone who’s somewhat intelligent on this site see’s the larger picture of health and promoting a healthy lifestyle. I’ve seen plenty of young kids become fat and gain a lot of body fat doing that approach. You hear guys on “Animal Pak” and Muscle Mag talking about eating absurd amounts of food and calories no matter what the circumstances. This isn’t reality for a 14 year old kid who doesn’t rely heavily on anabolics. I’d definitely recommend buying him alternatives to snacks, like healthy meal replacements, protein bars, protein drinks etc. Metabolic Drive bars and shakes are a great alternative to lil debbies or the vending machine.

Here’s the link The Quality Mass Diet

[quote]whiteisle wrote:
Bonez217, thanks for the reply. Trust me, I didn’t think he was actually listening to the audio books. He usually has his ipod on, so who knew? The books are mine or my hubby’s. Just a great way to stay awake while making the long commute between his houses. He just recently started saying, “well that book you were listening to said…”

His Dad and I are a little frustrated with how much he’s limited what he’ll actually eat, and the amount he eats. I think he’s possibly limiting his potential as an athlete bc he’s not eating enough. But he’s gonna have to hear it from someone else…possibly someone who hasn’t done the V diet a few times. Hard to convince him he’s not being sensible when he watched me live on shakes for a month.

[/quote]

I haven’t read past this post yet.

“His Dad and I are a little frustrated with how much he’s limited what he’ll actually eat, and the amount he eats.”

Um, thats pretty scary to me. Sounds disordered. Any type of specific “program” “food plan” “meal plan” “diet plan” etc. may just feed that disorder.

[quote]Seouldier wrote:
for specificity:

1. Every meal should contain protein
  2. Protein intake should be at least 1 gram/lb of body weight. Have more if possible.
  3. Eat plenty of natural carbs, the less processed the better.
  4. Invest in some natural nut butters (peanut and almond).
  5. At his height, weight, and activity level try 3400 calories a day as a starting point and adjust accordingly by small amounts.
  6. As long as he hits his protein and at least 20% of his calories come from fat, the only way this can fail is if 3400 calories is too low and his trainer has no clue what he is doing.[/quote]

This sounds good, or at least as good as anything else. I have only two additions:
7. Adjust the plan if he’s not progressing the way he wants to. This is important.
8. He’s probably not going to screw with counting calories, so you’ll have to approximate with serving sizes, adding or subtracting meals and snacks, etc.

Search for an article online about how college and pro football players eat and show it to him. Those guys eat tons of food. They are big, strong, and athletic, and I assume since he plays football he aspires to be like them. This may help convince him that he needs to eat big to be a good football player.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Im with JLone.
What the hell is this kids mother doing on T-Nation asking advice for her 14 year old son??

Let the kid be a kid. Its the only time in his life where he can eat 3 large meals of McDonalds at once and get away with it. When I was 14 I would eat 2 big macs, 2 cheeseburgers, apple pie and a large chocolate shake after football training. Ofcourse its good to set him a good example etc etc, but dont forget to let him enjoy his youth and the stupid things you do in it. He will learn via trial and error,

Go join a mothers group or something.

tweet[/quote]

You are an idiot, the gist of your post seems to suggest that eating bad food is essential to enjoying youth.

[quote]IrelandOrr wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Im with JLone.
What the hell is this kids mother doing on T-Nation asking advice for her 14 year old son??

Let the kid be a kid. Its the only time in his life where he can eat 3 large meals of McDonalds at once and get away with it. When I was 14 I would eat 2 big macs, 2 cheeseburgers, apple pie and a large chocolate shake after football training. Ofcourse its good to set him a good example etc etc, but dont forget to let him enjoy his youth and the stupid things you do in it. He will learn via trial and error,

tweet[/quote]

You are an idiot, the gist of your post seems to suggest that eating bad food is essential to enjoying youth.[/quote]

No, your an idiot. I was just saying let the kid find out for himself. His 14. 14!!!

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]IrelandOrr wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Im with JLone.

tweet[/quote]

You are an idiot, the gist of your post seems to suggest that eating bad food is essential to enjoying youth.[/quote]

No, your an idiot. I was just saying let the kid find out for himself. His 14. 14!!!

tweet[/quote]

No you are still an idiot. the 14 year old asked for advice and so he IS finding out for himself. he dosent need you in here suggesting that eating bad fad is essential to enjoying youth. you seem to have misunderstand in two totally different retarded ways.

I honestly think this will work, because I think the problem here is his mindset:

Find some big strong meathead, or maybe a star linebacker from one of the local high school football teams. Someone your son would admire. Have that person over for dinner. Let your son watch him inhale ridiculous amounts of food.

That’s about it. Worked for me, although my mother didn’t arrange for it to happen that way.

If you really want to make an impression upon the kid, tell the gorilla your plan ahead of time and that you want him to eat as much as possible at said dinner, and maybe have him mention some cliche like “gotta eat big to get big.”

[quote]IrelandOrr wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]IrelandOrr wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Im with JLone.

tweet[/quote]

tweet[/quote]

No you are still an idiot. the 14 year old asked for advice and so he IS finding out for himself. he dosent need you in here suggesting that eating bad fad is essential to enjoying youth. you seem to have misunderstand in two totally different retarded ways.
[/quote]

Ok I admit I went over the top regarding my advice with eating copious amounts of cheeseburgers etc, but the point I was trying to make is that it is a little scary having a 14 year old going on a strict diet plan. I would say teach him the basics and encourage it by having the right foods available. But as Hallowed mentioned, I would be concerned about the possibility of a eating disorder been developed.

And IrelandOrr, your still an idiot.

tweet tweet

[quote]whiteisle wrote:
I’m looking for some guidance regarding a nutritional plan that would be appropriate for my step-son, Bryce (I’m Step Mom). He’s 14 yrs old, 5’7, 140 lbs, and 5% BF (using calipers). He’s really involved with sports, especially football. We actually went a little nuts (well, his Daddy did) this summer and hired a personal trainer to work with him. This trainer has a really solid reputation, is a former NFL player, and curently works with our beloved Saints; we feel pretty good about his training program.

This summer, Bryce has worked really hard in the gym and it shows. He has a great, lean athletic build, but he wants to improve, of course. He`wants to add some size and support his athletic goals. His Dad and I often listen to audio books/seminars about weight training, fat loss, etc (Tom Venuto, Gary Taubes, Chris Shugart, etc) while in the car with him, and unfortunately, what he’s taken away from all that info is that carbs are bad. We’ve tried talking to him about this, his trainer’s tried…but he’s 14. Listening to his parents is not really his thing right now.

His Dad’s out of town, so he actually ASKED ME to help him with his nutritional plan this weekend. He lives at 2 different houses (we eat very healthy muscle food, his Mom’s house, not so much) and he wants to make it clear to both sets of parents what he’s doing so that the foods he needs are available. Little Debbie cakes tend to be a major food group at his Mom’s.
So, I hoped some of you guys could offer some suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

[/quote]

Let the boy suck on your MILF titties he will grow , he will grow. Best source of protein

[quote]I AM INVINCIBLE wrote:
Search for an article online about how college and pro football players eat and show it to him. Those guys eat tons of food. They are big, strong, and athletic, and I assume since he plays football he aspires to be like them. This may help convince him that he needs to eat big to be a good football player.[/quote]

I totally agree with this. The best approach is to get him to go online and research about what, when and how much pro NFL players eat. Also, if he is still meeting with his trainer, I would ask the trainer to continue encouraging your son to eat more healthy carbs. But most importantly, let your son discover this for himself - let him loose on the internet to find out how those he aspires to be like, eat. Good luck! I wish my parents had encouraged these types of eating habits when I was young.

Lastly, you mentioned you wanted a specific eating plan. Seoldier posted some great advice. At his age he should be eating a balanced meal every 2 hours (and some meal replacement shakes if needed, but not ideal at his age). Each meal must have protein, carbs (incuding fruit or veg) and good fats.

Oh - please ignore the negative postings

With regards to his eating, dont worry about counting calories at his age (that is taking it too far, and may encourage obsessive habits etc). Just encourage him to every 2 hours and eat as much as he likes (provided it is a good balance of carbs, fat and protein)

:slight_smile:

[quote]Springbok1 wrote:

[quote]I AM INVINCIBLE wrote:
Search for an article online about how college and pro football players eat and show it to him. Those guys eat tons of food. They are big, strong, and athletic, and I assume since he plays football he aspires to be like them. This may help convince him that he needs to eat big to be a good football player.[/quote]

I totally agree with this. The best approach is to get him to go online and research about what, when and how much pro NFL players eat. Also, if he is still meeting with his trainer, I would ask the trainer to continue encouraging your son to eat more healthy carbs. But most importantly, let your son discover this for himself - let him loose on the internet to find out how those he aspires to be like, eat. Good luck! I wish my parents had encouraged these types of eating habits when I was young.

Lastly, you mentioned you wanted a specific eating plan. Seoldier posted some great advice. At his age he should be eating a balanced meal every 2 hours (and some meal replacement shakes if needed, but not ideal at his age). Each meal must have protein, carbs (incuding fruit or veg) and good fats.

Oh - please ignore the negative postings[/quote]

Shut up foo, there nothing negative about sucking on your mama big old titties.