Need Advice: Apartment BS

I’d say just ride it out for the next month and a half and find a new place. In your previous post you said you were having a rough time of it there, anyway.

What doesn’t ring true to me about the OP’s story is that if the ex’s pit is dog-aggressive, I doubt that this would be the first time this ever happened. The fact that the apt complex doesnt seem to be concerned about her indicates that nobody else has complained. As far as teh other witnesses being “her friends,” I dunno, this just sounds like HS BS. The only thing it sounds like you can do is to try and break your lease based on not having access to a feature, as BG said.

I’ll also say that I’m probably biased because my dog is a shelter dog that is at least part pit. And while BG knows a helluva lot mroe than I do about dogs, I’m also goign to go ahead and disagree with him (certainly not the first time, right BG) that dog parks are no place for any pit.

I can only speak for mine, but I’ve never ever seen him have a problem with any other dog at the park, or anywhere else (and I’ve seen him nipped/bitten and just kinda walk away confused). Then again I follow him around the park and try to stay within 20-30 feet, so if play does start to escalate I can stop it, unlike a lot of fat ass owners who use the park as an excuse to socialize.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
I think you have a well-thought out plan of attack. You should certainly be entitled to know the reasons your dogs got banned. Your dog got attacked by the pit, not vice versa, and you shouldn’t get penalized for it.

Where was the owner when this happened?[/quote]

Lol, she was just sitting down while the whole thing happened. Fucked up, I know.[/quote]

I don’t know how long she’s had the pit, but it might be worth asking around to see if it has been aggressive before - that might help your case.

As I said, establishing where the pit owner was at the time of the attack might strengthen your story and weaken her’s - esp. if you can prove that the dog wasn’t supervised properly. Also, it might put a hole in the ‘eyewitness’ accounts if they’ve claimed she was watching the pit when she wasn’t.

And that apt. owner really should’ve interviewed all five witnesses, not just three. She clearly wants the whole dispute to go away.

[quote]Big Banana wrote:
Move.

You are the consumer, don’t give them your money.

And don’t bother talking to them anymore. Put everything in writing and request they do the same.[/quote]

If I just up and move, I have to pay penalties which would cost more than just staying for the 1.5 months and I can’t afford to pay double rent. 1.5 months isn’t that long to put up with this kind of BS. I’m just concerned about potential harm the pitbull may cause (children go to that dogpark). When I was pulling it off my dog, he was aiming to clamp his jaws on my dog’s shoulder and motioned it’s jaw threateningly at my hands and feet more than once (I was kicking the other dog and trying to pull it away).

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
What doesn’t ring true to me about the OP’s story is that if the ex’s pit is dog-aggressive, I doubt that this would be the first time this ever happened. The fact that the apt complex doesnt seem to be concerned about her indicates that nobody else has complained. As far as teh other witnesses being “her friends,” I dunno, this just sounds like HS BS. The only thing it sounds like you can do is to try and break your lease based on not having access to a feature, as BG said.

I’ll also say that I’m probably biased because my dog is a shelter dog that is at least part pit. And while BG knows a helluva lot mroe than I do about dogs, I’m also goign to go ahead and disagree with him (certainly not the first time, right BG) that dog parks are no place for any pit.

I can only speak for mine, but I’ve never ever seen him have a problem with any other dog at the park, or anywhere else (and I’ve seen him nipped/bitten and just kinda walk away confused). Then again I follow him around the park and try to stay within 20-30 feet, so if play does start to escalate I can stop it, unlike a lot of fat ass owners who use the park as an excuse to socialize.[/quote]

My dog was on a leash at the time. The other dog was not. The other dog charged my dog.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
What doesn’t ring true to me about the OP’s story is that if the ex’s pit is dog-aggressive, I doubt that this would be the first time this ever happened. The fact that the apt complex doesnt seem to be concerned about her indicates that nobody else has complained. [/quote]

There may well have been other incidents: I mean, the ex, the apt. owner and the “witnesses” have done a pretty sterling job of covering this up so far. The apt. owner also seems to be trying to avoid police involvement at all costs, so there is the possibilty of the police having been called to the complex to investigate a similar incident prior to this.

Only one way to find out, and that’s to get the police involved.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
I think you have a well-thought out plan of attack. You should certainly be entitled to know the reasons your dogs got banned. Your dog got attacked by the pit, not vice versa, and you shouldn’t get penalized for it.

Where was the owner when this happened?[/quote]

Lol, she was just sitting down while the whole thing happened. Fucked up, I know.[/quote]

I don’t know how long she’s had the pit, but it might be worth asking around to see if it has been aggressive before - that might help your case.

As I said, establishing where the pit owner was at the time of the attack might strengthen your story and weaken her’s - esp. if you can prove that the dog wasn’t supervised properly. Also, it might put a hole in the ‘eyewitness’ accounts if they’ve claimed she was watching the pit when she wasn’t.

And that apt. owner really should’ve interviewed all five witnesses, not just three. She clearly wants the whole dispute to go away. [/quote]

The pit has been aggressive before, but no one wants to be a part of this and shy away when I make any sort of mention. I’ll keep track of apt. numbers of the dogs that he has tackled to the ground. This was the first time the pit tried to bite another dog that I know of.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
What doesn’t ring true to me about the OP’s story is that if the ex’s pit is dog-aggressive, I doubt that this would be the first time this ever happened. The fact that the apt complex doesnt seem to be concerned about her indicates that nobody else has complained. [/quote]

There may well have been other incidents: I mean, the ex, the apt. owner and the “witnesses” have done a pretty sterling job of covering this up so far. The apt. owner also seems to be trying to avoid police involvement at all costs, so there is the possibilty of the police having been called to the complex to investigate a similar incident prior to this.

Only one way to find out, and that’s to get the police involved. [/quote]

Is there a chance through false witness that my dog could be taken away? I guess I feel leery because when I reported the pit this time, I got the bad rap.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Is there a chance through false witness that my dog could be taken away? I guess I feel leery because when I reported the pit this time, I got the bad rap.[/quote]

Unlikely. Their story so far is that your dog was the aggressor and that wouldn’t stand up under scrutiny, as the pit was running free and your dog was on a leash. Just proving that would strengthen your position because to maintain their story, the eyewitnesses would then have to claim that you were running around the dogpark with your dog deliberately chasing down the 'bull. And all this time the owner of the pit was sitting back at a distance while you were letting your dog attack hers…see what I mean? If you pick at it enough it’ll start to fall apart.

What you need to do is show up the inconsistencies in their story. Finding other tenants who may have been on the receiving end of the pit’s aggression would be a huge asset. Ask around, because there may be someone who wasn’t present when your dog was attacked and will back you on the pit’s behaviour.

Strange how nobody else in the complex wants to get involved: it would be very different if the pit had injured an animal or tenant.

Do you have a friend in the area who could pet sit until your lease runs out?

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Is there a chance through false witness that my dog could be taken away? I guess I feel leery because when I reported the pit this time, I got the bad rap.[/quote]

Unlikely. Their story so far is that your dog was the aggressor and that wouldn’t stand up under scrutiny, as the pit was running free and your dog was on a leash. Just proving that would strengthen your position because to maintain their story, the eyewitnesses would then have to claim that you were running around the dogpark with your dog deliberately chasing down the 'bull. And all this time the owner of the pit was sitting back at a distance while you were letting your dog attack hers…see what I mean? If you pick at it enough it’ll start to fall apart.

What you need to do is show up the inconsistencies in their story. Finding other tenants who may have been on the receiving end of the pit’s aggression would be a huge asset. Ask around, because there may be someone who wasn’t present when your dog was attacked and will back you on the pit’s behaviour.

Strange how nobody else in the complex wants to get involved: it would be very different if the pit had injured an animal or tenant. [/quote]

I think no one wants to get involved because they saw what happened to me and don’t want to get involved with it now. I could sense uncertainty and a little bit of fear in the apt. owner when I spoke to her. Maybe that was just because I maintained eye contact and remained cool as a cucumber while she ranted and yelled.

Well… I have to have someone willing to say my dog was on the leash… I don’t think I have that. Maybe the children who were there remember, maybe not. The apt. owner refused to contact the parents of the kids to see if they could give their own report.

I’m thinking the two adult witnesses weren’t going so much with her version, just going with what the owner wants… I dunno. They did say that they were told by the apt. owner not to talk to me or the pit owner and they said the reason was that the apt. didn’t want police involved.

Not wanting police involved… is it just to avoid drama in general or it just makes the place look bad?

Dude, put it all in writing, call the cops. First, ask for a statement saying that you are denied privileges and why. You need it all written down in PEN or typed. Which dog was scratched visibly?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Well… I have to have someone willing to say my dog was on the leash… I don’t think I have that. Maybe the children who were there remember, maybe not. The apt. owner refused to contact the parents of the kids to see if they could give their own report.

I’m thinking the two adult witnesses weren’t going so much with her version, just going with what the owner wants… I dunno. They did say that they were told by the apt. owner not to talk to me or the pit owner and they said the reason was that the apt. didn’t want police involved.

Not wanting police involved… is it just to avoid drama in general or it just makes the place look bad?[/quote]

1. Make anonymous tip you smelled marijuhana coming from the pitbulls owners appartment and that you are concerned FOR THE CHILDRENZ!!!1!!

2. Watch SWAT team beat down door, shoot dog, beat her up and make claims she assisted arrest.

3. ???

4. Profit!

At the very least, this episode has shown you that a lot of your neighbours aren’t the sort of people you can borrow a cup of sugar from.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Dude, put it all in writing, call the cops. First, ask for a statement saying that you are denied privileges and why. You need it all written down in PEN or typed. [/quote]

^ Good advice.

Dude, put it all in writing, call the cops. First, ask for a statement saying that you are denied privileges and why. You need it all written down in PEN or typed. Which dog was scratched visibly?[/quote]

One that looks like this?

You had recently come into the office to report a dog park incident that occurred last night. We have been reviewing the evidence and contacted multiple witnesses. Because of the evidence we have concluded that you will no longer be allowed to have your dogs in the dog park while other dogs are present.

We realize that this may seem harsh but the dog park is for socialization of the dogs and we must prevent incidents from occurring. Please continue to walk your dogs around the property and enter the dog park if no other dogs are present. If you have any questions or concerns, please the call the office at … .

Thank you

(her signature in ink)

Neither dog was scratched that I could see, but my dog’s coat is so thick that it’s possible I missed it.

What kind of dog do you have? The reason I ask is if both dogs involved are considered an “aggressive” breed that is going to make it even easier for the apt. owner to side against you.

Pit attacks Golden and the Pit is to blame. Pit attacks Rottie and the lines get a little more blurred. (This is not a judgment on the breed, just recognizing public perception).

As far as the letter you received, I would request a copy of the incident report which should list the “evidence” they have against you. Without that, you are just running around in circles.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Dude, put it all in writing, call the cops. First, ask for a statement saying that you are denied privileges and why. You need it all written down in PEN or typed. Which dog was scratched visibly?[/quote]

One that looks like this?

You had recently come into the office to report a dog park incident that occurred last night. We have been reviewing the evidence and contacted multiple witnesses. Because of the evidence we have concluded that you will no longer be allowed to have your dogs in the dog park while other dogs are present.

We realize that this may seem harsh but the dog park is for socialization of the dogs and we must prevent incidents from occurring. Please continue to walk your dogs around the property and enter the dog park if no other dogs are present. If you have any questions or concerns, please the call the office at … .

Thank you

(her signature in ink)

Neither dog was scratched that I could see, but my dog’s coat is so thick that it’s possible I missed it.[/quote]

That does not say WHY you were evicted. They are trying to play judge and jury without making any facts public as to how they arrived at that conclusion…which is why they don’t want the cops involved. This could go to court or you could just move.

They need evidence and it doesn’t seem like they have any. I also know that you may need a lawyer in that situation more than the cops if that was the statement.

I would report that your dog was attacked to the cops specifically. You need that reported and you need the case number afterwards. I would then show them that you reported it and ask for the evidence that allowed them to evict you and not the other dog’s owner.

If they can’t provide it, you will either see them in court or have to move…but I personally don’t lie down for bullshit like that.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

I can only speak for mine, but I’ve never ever seen him have a problem with any other dog at the park, or anywhere else (and I’ve seen him nipped/bitten and just kinda walk away confused). Then again I follow him around the park and try to stay within 20-30 feet, so if play does start to escalate I can stop it, unlike a lot of fat ass owners who use the park as an excuse to socialize.[/quote]

You can disagree, but you’d be wrong.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn’t mean it’s advisable. First, you say your shelter dog is perhaps “part pit”. Big difference. I am an expert on the american pitbull terrier - let me just put that out there, not as a brag, but a point-of-reference for my opinion. The NATURAL disposition of the american pitbull terrier is to be dog aggressive (“DA”). It does not mean they are all DA or that DA can never be controlled, but it does make the breed a poor candidate for off-the-leash excursions amongst other dogs. In fact, an american pitbull terrier should NEVER be off-leash in a public setting, let alone other dogs. Add to the fact that the average owner is EXTREMELY ILL-EQUIPPED TO BREAK UP A FIGHT, and you have a disaster-in-waiting. PITBULLS ARE NOT DOG PARK DOGS. If the dog park experience is important to you, get a different breed. No one with any real time and experience with the breed would ever tell you it’s advisable to have a pitbull off leash in a dog park.

Now, to where we “agree”. If a pitbull really engaged his dog, he’d probably have no chance of thwarting the attack. I’m sure there was a “dust-up” or some threat displays - something happened, but as it concerns the point of the story, it really doesn’t matter in my opinion.

OP what kind of dog do you have?