Need a Technique Coach in DFW

Hey T-Nation,

I’ve been reading this site for a while now and it’s inspired me to go from 215 with a 37 inch waist to 196 with a 32 inch waist in the last 2.5 years. So thanks to the authors for all the great advice, and the forum members for interesting insight and entertaining commentary. I finally have a question for y’all though that I couldn’t find an answer already posted for.

I recently tweaked my lower back doing some heavy (for me) rdl’s and since this is the second lower back injury for me I decided that my form probably needs improvement. Now I haven’t ever had the benefit of a regular lifting partner, and it’s difficult to check yourself in the mirror ya know so I’m not 100% on what I’m doing wrong. I’ve read numerous descriptions on this site and elsewhere about form, and watched videos as well. I want something more though than mental cues to try for myself.

To make a long story short (too late) can anybody recommend a truly skilled weight lifting coach or personal trainer somewhere in the Dallas Ft. Worth area that can coach me on proper lifting technique over 1-4 weekend sessions? I workout at lifetime fitness out of convenience, but I wouldn’t trust the trainers there to coach me on the bicep curl. Can’t say that cost isn’t an issue at all, but I’d be willing to pay for true quality. Any suggestions?

Yea man, go to metroflex in Arlington Texas and ask for Brian. He is the owner of metroflex. He has helped train Ronnie Coleman, so I think he has a pretty good background in training… He will work with anyone, I believe.

Metroflex is a good gym with some strong guys there; might be a place to look for training partners or someone who can at least help you with technique.

If you are looking for someone to teach the olympic lifts don’t ask a powerlifter or bodybuilding coach though. For that you will want to look on some of the olympic lifting sites (or the section here) and find a certified OLY coach. They are the ONLY people who I would trust to teach proper technique since those lifts are quite complex.