T Nation

Need a Routine

Hi all,

I've trained for about 3 years, albeit not very consistently, averaging maybe 2 -3 times a week during this period. More often then not I've been program-less, diet-less etc.

Crude stats: 6' 181lbs Bench 305 Squat 355 DL 485

Progress has been lacklustre, especially on the bench.

What routine would be most effective for me (for any of the lifts) if gaining weight (counter-productive to my other sports) was not an option?

Thanks all!

[quote]ZanderX wrote:
Hi all,

I’ve trained for about 3 years, albeit not very consistently, averaging maybe 2 -3 times a week during this period. More often then not I’ve been program-less, diet-less etc.

Crude stats: 6’ 181lbs Bench 305 Squat 355 DL 485

Progress has been lacklustre, especially on the bench.
[/quote]

You mean squat, right?

[quote]ZanderX wrote:
What routine would be most effective for me (for any of the lifts) if gaining weight (counter-productive to my other sports) was not an option?

Thanks all![/quote]

5/3/1
Texas method/Madcow "advanced"
Sequence of Sheiko programs.
Various DUP programs available online.
Basic Ed Coan style linear periodization.

Paul Carter’s … silly named program: http://www.T-Nation.com/training/guaranteed-muscle-mass

Really, pick whatever. It’s my opinion that your squat is what is really lagging, so you may want to prioritize that depending on your goals (which I can only assume is to increase your total, since you’re in the Powerlifting forum afterall).

Yea, definitely prioritising my squat at the moment.

The difference is, my weak squat is a result of neglect and laziness whereas I’m finding it hard to progress on my bench and deadlift regardless of whether I put the the time and effort in.

So I guess to clarify my question (or better yet, two questions) - What’s a good routine for squats at my level and what programs should I follow to tackle the my bench and DL plateaus?

@goochadamg You’ve hit the nail on the head for my first question, thanks for the recommendations mate.

I have very minimal knowledge of routines, so everything’s helpful. Been playing it by ear for too long.

A run of a Westside template wouldn’t hurt…

Based on your height, weight and stats, it seems like you are better built for deadlifting than benching, but like others have said, your squat is lacking in relation to the others. What have you been doing so far to get you to where you are currently? What sport has you limited to 181 at 6 ft tall?

A strong squat will generally help performance in most sports. IMO, getting your squat above 400 would provide the most value. Unless you row then it may be debatable whether you should focus more on your deadlift. What sports are you involved in?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Based on your height, weight and stats, it seems like you are better built for deadlifting than benching, but like others have said, your squat is lacking in relation to the others. What have you been doing so far to get you to where you are currently?[/quote]

Bench: I usually just work up towards a five, triple or single (once a week). I used Smolov Jr to break my previous plateau which worked pretty well. I gained weight while I was on that routine though, so I’m not entirely sure where to attribute the success to.

Squats: All I’ve done is 5x5 (same weight every set) up to this point. Started squatting about 1.5 years in to lifting - really silly.

Deadlift: I’ll work towards a working five, triple or single once a week or once every two weeks.

Also do OHP 5x5 (same weight every set) once a week.

I usually pair two of the above lifts together (whatever I feel like doing) and do them in any one session.

Run and swim

Definitely agree on the squatting. Will look into what the guys above have recommended. If you have your own suggestion, that’d be appreciated!

Do you run and swim competitively, or just recreationally?

As to your bench, if you are just doing one session a week, working up to a single work set of 5, 3, or 1, then doing more volume, and or a second bench day could make a noticeable difference. Also, don’t get hung up on a weekly schedule. So maybe instead of benching once per week, you bench every 4-5 days. Also try adding some back off sets for volume in the 5-8 rep range.

I would say the same about your squatting, if only once per week, add more volume and squat more often.

Is it short or long distance for both sports? If you’re doing short distance then I don’t see why you can’t push your lifts hard even with minimal weight gain. If it’s long distance then I’m not sure how much strength training can help. I remember my strength hitting a plateau when I was going for mile run PRs so I decided to drop running lol.

I agree with Ecchastang on the programming. The easiest thing to do is add a bit more volume with moderate intensity. Otherwise you can choose any program that has slightly more volume than what you’re currently doing.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Do you run and swim competitively, or just recreationally?

As to your bench, if you are just doing one session a week, working up to a single work set of 5, 3, or 1, then doing more volume, and or a second bench day could make a noticeable difference. Also, don’t get hung up on a weekly schedule. So maybe instead of benching once per week, you bench every 4-5 days. Also try adding some back off sets for volume in the 5-8 rep range.

I would say the same about your squatting, if only once per week, add more volume and squat more often. [/quote]

Competitively, long distance.

Trying to add more volume to all my lifts now - hopefully I respond well to that.

I did try Smolov Jr again at the end of last year to try and break through my plateau but whilst I did get stronger at higher rep ranges I didn’t see an explicit increase in 1rm strength.

My sticking point has been the same this whole time too. The bar comes off my chest and up for the first 5-6 inches pretty quickly but I stall right after. Not sure if this is a form issue or not.

I’m definitely starting to think that unless I fill out my lanky 185lb 6’ frame I’m not going to see much improvement in my bench and deadlift.