T Nation

Need a Routine That'll Kick My Ass

Alright, although this is my first post, I am not new to the site. I have followed discussions and articles on here for a while now and have finally decided to join in and make a posting of my own. Before I go off asking questions let me tell you a bit about myself, I am 18(19 in a week) between 6’-6’1 and 160 pounds. I have worked out religiously for about 2 years, after starting off as a pretty pudgy 190 pounds.

Obviously 160 pounds is pretty light, but all things considered, I am pretty fit, have a decent body and am looking to take things to the next level. I want to take my physique from what I consider to be “averagly” athletic, to for lack of a better word, “ripped” or “jacked.” Although I am 160, I wouldn’t call myself a natural ectomorph, but instead someone who worked hard through diet and exercise to drop a few pounds and get to where I am now.

All that being said, I am looking for a new lifting routine. Currently I am on a self-designed split consisting of 3 workouts, one dedicated to Chest/Back (mostly presses and rows), one dedicated to Shoulders/Arms and some Back (primarily Shoulder presses, lateral raises, curls,dips,pullups,chinups…) and a third day of Legs/Lowerbody (squats,lunges,stepups,leg presses,deadlifts…). I have been making some pretty nice gains, but want to get on a program with some professional/expericenced basis behind it.

What I would like is a routine that you could say, kicks my a$$. I want to be sweating, grunting, wanting to quit every single workout. My goals are to add a good amount of muscle while maintaining leanness. I pretty much have all the time in the world to spend in the gym, as I am a student, but with all the time off between classes and that, time is not a problem. I am up for pretty much anything you guys can throw at me. Looking forward to your advice.

Also, just wanted to say, that I know in order to get big, I have to eat big, and I am taking care of that. So eating is not a problem, my diet is pretty much in line, I just want to see what a solid program/routine would be to benefit me the most. Also, the rep/set ranges I have been using is decreasing reps/increasing weight typically for 4-5 sets something like 10-8-6-6-4 or something like that.

Thanks

Smolov Squat Cycle. Its very difficult and will kick your ass.

Its up to YOU to make the program “kick your ass” not the actual program. There are tons of pre-made programs on this site and a few articles on how to design your own. Get searching.

Its up to you to kick your own ass in the gym.

I got pretty sore from EDT.
I have heard Smolov is pretty hard.
Currently doing HSS-100 which is pretty intense too.

Poliquins Advanced German Volume program has me limping around like I have never squatted before…One thing I have learned after trying a few of his programs over the last few months is NOT to underestimate them. Some, dont read out THAAAT challenging, but sure do hurt.

GJ

[quote]Gymjunkie wrote:
Poliquins Advanced German Volume program has me limping around like I have never squatted before…One thing I have learned after trying a few of his programs over the last few months is NOT to underestimate them. Some, dont read out THAAAT challenging, but sure do hurt.

GJ[/quote]

Not to hijack, but how were the results?

Thibs’ new “Get Jacked” program has been destroying me lately.

Hardgnr,

I tried Lactic acid training for fat loss and a couple different German Body Composition programs MAINLY for fat loss, and got decent results considering Id already been dieting for a while. I JUST started the Advanced German Volume training so far too soon to see results, but I sure am pulling up sore!

GJ

Try decreasing the amount of rest between sets to really get a hardcore burn. Do some 20 rep squats and 20 rep deadlifts. Also it seems that you are training each body part only one day a week. Try upping the intensity by doing each body part 2 times a week and see what happens.