Need a Poor Man's Diet

Hey everyone! I am in dire need of a good nutrition plan that will help me gain muscle but is also inexpensive. I am a graduate student at the University of Illinois and have very little living expenses. I am looking to spend somewhere around 50 dollars a week on food. I really like the sample diet Dr. Berardi posted on here that mentioned his Scrawny to Brawny book, but I just can’t afford that much quality food.

If anyone can help with a sample diet plan I would be greatly appreciative. It doesn’t even matter if it’s the same meals every day. Thanks!

I don’t know how amazing my diet plan is, but I think it’s fairly cheap. This is what I eat every day.

Breakfast:
4 eggs
1 scoop Grow! with 8 oz. of milk
(considering looking into rolled oats, as I hear they are good for breakfast and are cheap)

Lunch:
Chicken breast
1 cup rice
PB sandwich or scoop of PB
8 oz. milk

Lunch 2:
Repeat

Mid-Afternoon:
PB sandwich
1 scoop Grow! Whey with 8 oz. of milk

Dinner:
Varies every day (im 16 so I can’t choose). I would advise some kind of protein source you can find cheap. Usually my biggest meal.

Night:
Cottage cheese if I have any, if not more PB with milk or water.

Mix veggies and fruits in throughout the day.

I’m in the same boat as you, I need cheap food so this is what I came up with. Im sure it’s nowhere near perfect, but it gives a good amount of protein/calories.

Milk is cheap. So is chicken.

It’s strange that you’re in need of such a spartan diet plan, while Biotest list you as one of their top 20,000 purchasers…

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Milk is cheap. So is chicken.

It’s strange that you’re in need of such a spartan diet plan, while Biotest list you as one of their top 20,000 purchasers…[/quote]

Nothing against the sponsor of this fine website, but given how much Biotest cost, I don’t think it strange at all!:wink:

I’ve been pretty broke myself lately. ALDI is a great friend of mine, esp. for cheap protein sourses. I’m on the Anabolic Diet and I thought of starting a thread for budget-concious AD recipes -may still do! I do miss the fresh salmon and fillet steaks I could afford when I was richer, but I can do wonderful things ALDI’s frozen beef patties.

As far as suppliments go, I reccomend buying up big when you do have some money.

If you buy the whole chicken, it is cheaper than buying chicken breasts. Also, look into beef hearts (Phil recommended that before) and other less consummed parts. ground beef isn’t that expensive and you can always search for sales.

Eggs from costco/sam’s are cheap and you get a lot. Same with the cottage cheese from there. In fact, buy what you can from there.