Need a Plan to Lose Weight

hello,

so I will go to the gym soon but I want a plan to follow, I want to lift 5 days with high reps to lose weight and run so what program do you recommend? and about running, should I run every day after lifting or every other day? I will eat around 1000 calories because my Bmr is 1800 calories I know this will cause muscle loss but I don’t have muscles to lose anyway I want to lose those 13kg extra fats to begin bulk for the first time in my life but will I gain any muscles with this calories? note:I’m a complete beginner.

Age?
Weight?
Height?
Lifting experience?
Running experience?

2 Likes

First off, forget what you wrote.

Then, answer all questions above.

Baby steps.

4 Likes

Sound advice by the gentlemen above
Those stats are vital for the input and planning that will go ahead to your regime
And a little bit of advice, everyone on these forums who give you a little out of their day has been through the hoops of “complete beginner” to the level they are now so generally speaking, when they offer advice, take it, digest it, live by it and run with it

Please please please be a complete sponge to what I’m sure that is coming, will be really good advice
:+1:

2 Likes

After rereading the original post…either the person in question is very uninformed and this thread is going to be long. Or some SON OF A BITCH is trolling.

2 Likes

thanks for replying,

my age is 21
my weight is 84 kg’s
my height is 5.8
my lifting EXP is that I know some basics I joined a gym 1 time before for 2 months and I was learning through that then I quite.
I have no EXP in running
I did a calorie deficit 8 months ago and I lost 110 pounds but now I have no muscles at all
my goal is to gain any size in a cut.

okay thanks for the reply I just wrote those stats to him and I’m open to all of the advice’s

lol, I’m not trolling but I have a friend who did high reps with a calorie deficit and he did cardio and he has lost weight pretty fast with very low amount of size he said so that’s why I said that in the thread. thanks for replying !

Find your BMI.
Find your body fat %.
Find your Lean BMI.
Find your macros.
Write a meal plan.
Do your research.
Work your ass off.

No. Just no.

The op will get amazing feedback shortly that will set him up for success. It has nothing to do with bmi.

The one thing op will need to drill in his head is consistency.

5 Likes

I don’t think lifting for 5 days is a good idea. In any case, it depends on the plan.

If you want to hit the gym often, then you should learn about splits: Hit certain body parts on certain days. The most obvious split is Upper body / Lower Body. With this type of split, hitting the gym 4 days a week can make sense.

Don’t bother with running or cardio. Focus on learning to lift and getting strong.

Feed yourself before a workout. Never show up hungry to the gym. Immediately afterwards, get some protein in you. Take advantage of the time that your body wants to create muscle.

The most important thing is to begin! Start now. Don’t wait for exact instructions. Go!

3 Likes

thanks for replying, i will start asap but what will you recommend for a split routine?

Very nice work :+1:

1 Like

Alright good that information will go a long way into helping you shape your nutrition and workouts
And there are a fair few gents on here that you’ll get to know very quick as they give advice on many threads all over T nation forums

So judging by the original post, you have been pretty misinformed as to how to “healthily” lose fat so I suppose the first step here is to inform you and educate you before you start lifting.
Btw, great job with the fat loss, but only keep that dedication, throw out whatever else was helping you then and start again
It may also be of benefit to you to go start a thread in the “supplement and nutrition” section for advice on a meal plan for lean body mass

So basic fundemantals is that the more muscle your body has on it, the more calories your body will burn.
So that idea of “I know that will lose muscle but I have no muscle to lose” - very stupid
You want the complete opposite
Those extra “13kgs fat” will come off but chances are you won’t see any changes to a scale because the best way to lose fat is to … build muscle
I’m sure @RampantBadger will have some awesome plans to follow or even as mentioned split days but your training should really emphasise on building strength in the compound lifts, that you’ll get to learn very quickly with the plans that can be constructed for you

Also, why running? Do you find enjoyment in it or only because you have used it thus far for your current weight loss?
There are thousands of ways of cardio that are a hell of a lot shorter in time required to burn calories, more enjoyable and promotes muscle gain and strength than running, and they generally are a lot less taxing on the joints
Examples are sled pushes, weighted runs, 10x 60 metre sprints or any HIIT workout

Any who keep your mind open and liase with the fellow posters, and I’m sure in no time if you keep an open mind, you’ll be well on your way to a better physique and healthy body

1 Like

This is hands down the most helpful article I’ve come across for diet. I’ve used it myself with reasonable success.

For training it’s more up to you, but taking into account relative inexperience you don’t want something that needs you to think too much. Here are two that I think would fit the bill, with the caveat that whichever you pick make no changes to whatsoever for at least two to three months. You’ll notice that all of them stress the necessity of eating a lot. Now, yes, to gain size this is true. However, if you’re sensible about how you eat, they will work fine even eating below a surplus. That’s essentially what I did.

1 Like

Really thanks man for taking the time to write I appreciate this, I will create a thread for nutrition plan but how will it be a plan for lean body mass if I will cut? I mean the cut will be low in calories so I will gain no muscles with a caloric deficit and with a bulk I will gain more fat and muscles am I right? or the plan will be eating at maintenance?

Thanks for the recommendation I will read some articles for the writer you mentioned but about strength training, I really don’t have any body size and I’m self-insecure about my body with that said, I have some knowledge in compound movements I did them before and I know the basics of back squats and deadlifts, bench-press that’s why I wanted a split so i can make any size gain with it.

I wanted to run because I wanted to increase my heart rate to burn fat and do some work to change my body but I never really liked it and never did it through my previous weight-loss process but I recently got a bike I like bicycling but not for too long because I do it alone and it gets boring but unfortunately in my country sled pushes, weighted runs doesn’t exist even in big gyms. and I’m open for all of the advice’s

As a rank beginner I’d do this below for about 6 weeks to build a base and prepare yourself for heavy training and then follow one of the programs Markko gave you:

(on off days can do HIIT type bike rides)

1000 cals is like entry level anorexia. Even 2000 cals is less than ideal for a 5’8 active young male. For diet I would up your calories to maintenance/1800 to restore your metabolism and support tough workouts then up it by 100 cals once a fortnight.
Train very hard, and being 21 and thanks to newb gains you will put on muscle and lean out at the same time.
If make very clean food choices you will be shocked at how many calories you can get away with.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’d say around 2500 cals, following the macro split in the Paul Carter article. If you find you’re getting fatter, drop to 2400 cals. You probably won’t need to though.

1 Like

Precisely this is why you need to drop whatever information you had thought was correct before and run with this
Believe it or not, if you don’t eat enough you won’t lose fat AND gain muscle
Eating too far below your base metabolic line will cause your body to enter what we call “starvation mode” which in a chemical hormone sense turns every nutrient into fat for the body to survive
You have to eat at your BMI at maintenance and work from there

2 Likes

I would do an Upper / Lower Split.

You can train your mid-section every workout.

I would also recommend that you organize your workout alternating between pushing and pulling. For instance:

1. Bench Press
  2. Pull-ups
  3. Overhead Press
  4. Row (cable row or barbell row or find a machine that allows you to pull comfortably.)

Actually, do those 4 exercises and your upper body workout in nearly complete. Throw in some crunches, back extensions and bicep curls and you can head home knowing that you did a proper job of it. This workout should last about an hour.

Lower body is not as obvious. From this website I have learned:

1. Before you squat, warm up with some leg curls (they hit the back of the upper leg).
  2. For Squats, use lighter weight and higher reps especially as a beginner. Technique and form are critical. Do research! If you can’t hit 10 reps, the weight you are using is too heavy or your conditioning needs to come up.
  3. Deadlifts: Also really critical to get your technique and form right. Do research! Again, don’t go crazy trying to see what your “max” is. Use weight that you can get to 10 reps with.
1 Like