Need a New Workout

So I’ve been doing the same workout for a little over 2 months now and I feel that I need to change it. Can someone give me a new good workout that I can do? My old workout was a 4 day split monday chest back, tues legs, thurs arms, sat shoulders.

One bad thing about this is that I’m in soccer right now and I usually go to the gym after practice but on my leg days I haven’t really been going because I went one time and my legs got destroyed and I couldn’t even go heavy.

I know this is bad but any suggestions on this would be helpful too. Thanks to anyone that helps

You could try a program based on tbt since you’ve been doing splits for a while. Here’s the link to Waterbury’s TBT http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=508031

Tbh I’m interested in hearing the replies as to arranging your schedule around your practices as I lift mon, wed, fri after which I have rugby class which is an hour and a bit of skill training followed by full contact practice five days a week.

[quote]ItWasntMe wrote:
You could try a program based on tbt since you’ve been doing splits for a while. Here’s the link to Waterbury’s TBT http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=508031

Tbh I’m interested in hearing the replies as to arranging your schedule around your practices as I lift mon, wed, fri after which I have rugby class which is an hour and a bit of skill training followed by full contact practice five days a week. [/quote]

Thanks for the link but pretty much all I do is go to school come home after school go to practice come back home eat a small snack then go to the gym. I usually get back home around 7:30 to 8 then I go chill with friends or maybe do some homework.

You know there’s a search function and an entire archive of training articles, right?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
You know there’s a search function and an entire archive of training articles, right?[/quote]

Shame on you…that would require work. Who does that anymore :wink:

OP Vader’s right. We don’t know what your goals are or your weaknesses are. Not only that, you just asked us to be your trainers when you have great resources already on this site

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
You know there’s a search function and an entire archive of training articles, right?

Shame on you…that would require work. Who does that anymore :wink:

OP Vader’s right. We don’t know what your goals are or your weaknesses are. Not only that, you just asked us to be your trainers when you have great resources already on this site[/quote]

Sorry. I tried to search the site but all I got were some forum links. I guess I searched for the wrong thing but I’m gonna try again.

The search isn’t going very well. Anyone wanna help?

[quote]ManS1aughter wrote:
The search isn’t going very well. Anyone wanna help?[/quote]

tell us what your goals are! its impossible to give advice if you dont tell us your goals.

…or just click up top where it says “article library”, see if there is something that fits what you’re looking for.

the search engine has a feature where you can search through the whole site, the forums or just the articles. It’s in the top right hand corner

Age? years training? stats? lifts? pics? current diet?

I just turned 17, a little below 150 pounds. My goal is just to lean out/get ripped first then keep working out and gain some more muscle. Does that sound good/bad? any feedback is valued and appreciated.

I think I have an alright amount of muscle for my age. I’ve been training for a year and like 2 or 3 months but I would say real training would be less than a year. When I started out I didn’t know what to do so I just went to the gym and did random workouts.

The lifts in my current workout are incline dumbbell press, wide grip bench, one arm rows, Pull ups, like I said before I pretty much stopped doing leg work outs because of soccer, preacher curls, incline hammer curls, decline tricep extensions, shoulder press, power shrugs, and some machine work.

My diet was pretty good for like 2 weeks but then it all went downhill so now I just eat some oatmeal or pretty much anything that I find for breakfast, in school I usually eat a sandwich or a slice of pizza or chinese food, then when I get home from soccer and the gym I just eat what my mom made. I know this is a horrible diet but I just couldn’t keep up with my old one, which was actually pretty good. I counted grams of protein, carbs, and fat but I just couldn’t keep up with it. Any advice on that would be awesome too.

[quote]ManS1aughter wrote:
I just turned 17, a little below 150 pounds. My goal is just to lean out/get ripped first then keep working out and gain some more muscle. Does that sound good/bad? any feedback is valued and appreciated.
[/quote]

Please realize something…you are posting on a bodybuilding site that you are 150 pounds and want to lean out and get ripped. That is the quickest way to get singled out and shunned around here.

If you really want help, do yourself a favor and read every article you can on this site. Go to “authors” and read every single article from John Berardi, Christian Thibadeau, Chad Waterbury, and Dave Tate for starters.

Then read them again. Follow a good massive eating plan. Get your mom to buy better foods and more of it. Eat a ton of meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit and then eat some more. Drink a ton of milk. Buy some protein powder

This is the best and nicest bit of advice you’re going to get if you post comments like the one above. If your goal really is to look like a girl and weigh 140 pounds then I would suggest you visit bodybuilding.com they will love you.

[quote]davidtower wrote:
ManS1aughter wrote:

Please realize something…you are posting on a bodybuilding site that you are 150 pounds and want to lean out and get ripped. That is the quickest way to get singled out and shunned around here.

If you really want help, do yourself a favor and read every article you can on this site. Go to “authors” and read every single article from John Berardi, Christian Thibadeau, Chad Waterbury, and Dave Tate for starters.

Then read them again. Follow a good massive eating plan. Get your mom to buy better foods and more of it. Eat a ton of meat, veggies, nuts, and fruit and then eat some more. Drink a ton of milk. Buy some protein powder

This is the best and nicest bit of advice you’re going to get if you post comments like the one above. If your goal really is to look like a girl and weigh 140 pounds then I would suggest you visit bodybuilding.com they will love you.

[/quote]

Alright I know I’m not gonna be ripped when I’m only 150 pounds, but that’s why I’m asking if leaning out first then gaining muscle would be a good idea.

I guess it’s a dumb question but I actually thought I knew a good amount of stuff until I found this website and this is why I’m asking for help so I can learn some more.

I’ve read some good articles here but I’m still working on reading more and I tried to keep a pretty good carb cycling diet but that only worked for like 2 weeks so I just want to start a good regular diet that’s why I was asking for advice. Thanks for your help I guess.

[quote]davidtower wrote:
ManS1aughter wrote:

If you really want help, do yourself a favor and read every article you can on this site. Go to “authors” and read every single article from John Berardi, Christian Thibaudeau, Chad Waterbury, and Dave Tate for starters.

[/quote]

Read this again, he hit the nail on the head.

Honestly, start reading old articles by the authors mentioned. You’ll learn everything you’re waiting to hear from forum members.

The last thing you need to be doing is worrying about things like carb cycling. At 17 years old (I wish I found this site at 17) you can eat pretty much anything you want and not put on too much fat if you’re training hard.

Don’t worry about macronutrient breakdowns…just make sure you’re getting in a lot of protein (eat some with every meal) and a lot of calories.

This part took me a long time to learn…you will not get any stronger if you don’t eat enough. Read that statement 10 times.

Focus on getting stronger in the big compound lifts and everything else will come. Squats, Benchpress variations, Rows, deadlifts, pull ups, and overhead pressing should be the core of everything you do.

Happy training

guys if this kid is 150 and wants to lean out i think having him read every article is the last he’s gonna want.

i remember when i first started out, i wanted to be ripped like the guys from 300. i read every article, i started DIETING (at 170 6ft) and lets just say it was cause i had all this info and wanted to apply everything.

bodybuilding is just like anything else, you want to keep it as simple as you can. at your weight you just need a basic split program. its pretty simple to diagnose a scheme:

you can probaly do 2 parts per training day since your so new to this.

chest/back or chest/triceps

arms (biceps/triceps)

back/biceps (if you arent already doing back+chest)

legs

you can do things like shoulders and abs in the same day also.

that would give you 5 days on 2 days off

you could compress it more and add take a seperate day and split them into 2 other days to make it 4 days with 3 off. so for example add shoulders to arms and calves into legs and there ya go, 4 days.

next you choose your lifts. you want to start each session with a compound lift, look that up if you dont know what it is. anywhere from 3-4 sets with 6-8 reps. you descend from the most taxing lifts to the least as your program continues so you wouldnt start with a close-grip press then do pushdowns then do skullcrushers because pushdowns are a very non-taxing isolation movement.

some people reccomend going with higher reps when you first start out as its supposed to help you get better acquainted to ROM and just overall getting used to lifting, pushing yourself, etc.

i suggest you hang out in beginners section for a while. generally the bodybuilding section is for people who already have been doing this for a bit and want to discuss bodybuilding.

also due to the nature of this site (testosterone/alpha) youre expected to kinda go out and attempt solving your own problems instead of just hoping everyone will do it for you. which doesnt mean its wrong to ask questions but its kinda like you just wandered into here and were like uhhhh what do i do?

so yea, just hang in beginners and learn the ropes. just dont become a “starting strength” pawn.

since nobody said it, i’m going to:

just because you play soccer, doesn’t mean you should neglect your legs. you still need to squat, and you still need to deadlift. nothing is going to make you grow better than those two exercises.

You need to stop neglecting the leg workouts - big mistake. You need to eat a BIG amount of food not just a “small snack” after your soccer session.

Are you not making progress on your current routine anymore? If you are still making progress why do you feel the need to change programs? Program ADD = bad. Just make sure every workout you are adding reps or weight or both and keep eating.

Oh and at 150lbs the last thing you should be worried about is trying to “get ripped”.

I understand what you mean, but starting strength may be a great way for him to get started. Squats, bench, military, row and deads with a TON of milk, meat, vegetables and nuts can quickly add 30 pounds and a lot of strength. Of course, I mean this as a starting point before he moves to say, a 5x5 and then a higher volume routine.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:

so yea, just hang in beginners and learn the ropes. just dont become a “starting strength” pawn.[/quote]

im sure its a dandy routine but after i started checking out the beginner forum again i noticed it seems to be the topic of almost every thread.