Need a New Routine

At 37 I’m ready to change up my routine. Been doing an upper body/lower Body split for a while now with a mix of compound and isolation movements. Would like to try something new that may have a cardio element to it.

I don’t want a heavy squat/bench/DL program because my knees and shoulders can’t take heavy bench or squats anymore. I did some cleans with 135lbs the other day and liked it.

DL’s is the only exercise I can really use heavy weight. I’m looking for a full-body program (vice split) to do 2X’s a week with moderate weight, augmented by cardio 2-3X’s a week to keep the fat away. Thanks.

I guess I stumped the band.

Try Waterburys 10 x 3 for fat loss. You will find it here on T-Nation. I am planning on starting it myself very soon. My goal has been to bench press 315 and I hit 295 yesterday. Once I hit the goal, I will begin 10 x 3 to loss some weight and keep muscle.

HTH - Stiddy

I started the Waterbury’s 10x3 FFL this week. It will definitely kick your ass if you do it right. I split by lifting in the morning and doing the cardio section at night after work. definitely a change up from the 5x5 program I was doing for the last 6 weeks.

[quote]Stiddy wrote:
Try Waterburys 10 x 3 for fat loss. You will find it here on T-Nation. I am planning on starting it myself very soon. My goal has been to bench press 315 and I hit 295 yesterday. Once I hit the goal, I will begin 10 x 3 to loss some weight and keep muscle.

HTH - Stiddy[/quote]

I’ll check it out. I’ve given up on heavy bench. My shoulder just won’t take it. Every time I get up to around 250-260 my shoulder kills me. Sharp pains.

What I’ve decided to do is just do what I feel like doing. No set program I have to do every week.

I like curls, so I do curls. CG bench doesn’t hurt my shoulder so I do some of those. I hate squats, so I do leg presses. Bench press kills my shoulder so I do a kind of BP on the leg press machine (looks like a football player hitting the sled), I like DL’s and cleans so I do some of them. No set or rep plan. Just hit the gym and have fun again.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
What I’ve decided to do is just do what I feel like doing. No set program I have to do every week.

I like curls, so I do curls. CG bench doesn’t hurt my shoulder so I do some of those. I hate squats, so I do leg presses. Bench press kills my shoulder so I do a kind of BP on the leg press machine (looks like a football player hitting the sled), I like DL’s and cleans so I do some of them. No set or rep plan. Just hit the gym and have fun again. [/quote]

This is good, as far as it goes. You should know by now what your body can handle. However, I guess the question I would have is why are you not going to structure your set/rep scheme? Do you have any goals, or do you just go to the gym because you like it?

My feeling is that you are better off if you have some goals, even if they are to maintain what you have rather than to improve. What about flexibility? This will get more important as you get older.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
PGJ wrote:

I like curls, so I do curls. CG bench doesn’t hurt my shoulder so I do some of those. I hate squats, so I do leg presses. Bench press kills my shoulder so I do a kind of BP on the leg press machine (looks like a football player hitting the sled), I like DL’s and cleans so I do some of them. No set or rep plan. Just hit the gym and have fun again.

This is good, as far as it goes. You should know by now what your body can handle. However, I guess the question I would have is why are you not going to structure your set/rep scheme? Do you have any goals, or do you just go to the gym because you like it?

My feeling is that you are better off if you have some goals, even if they are to maintain what you have rather than to improve. What about flexibility? This will get more important as you get older.[/quote]

I’ve used various strict set/rep schemes for the last 3 years. I have every workout during that period documented in logbooks. I can tell you exactly what I was doing on April 15, 2005. I think I just burned out on it.

About 3 months ago I started to not enjoy lifting. I was looking for ways to NOT go to the gym and I did skip a lot. My goal right now is to just get back to hitting it on a regualr basis and recharge my motivation. This is just to hold me over until my body tells me to get back on a program. My goal is to just have fun for a while.

Sounds good to me. I tend to do much the same - do a limited range of lifts that I enjoy, with set/rep combinations that suit me. I still record the details of each session though!

Hope you get your enthusiasm back. If you are going to keep it up long term, you have to enjoy it.

Try the workouts at Hypertrophy Specific Training for a new approach.

Is the problem a lack of fun or a lack of progress? I have fun every time I work out, but it’s getting bigger and stronger that is the reason I’m having fun at the gym and not having fun at the bar shooting pool and ogling the babes.