T Nation

Need a Good Media Player

Actually, it doesn’t even need to play movies. All I need it for is music.

Let me break down my mp3 organization:

When I download files, they all go to a folder called New Downloads. From there, I transfer them to a music folder which has a folder for each letter of the alphabet, and in each letter, folders for the artists names. I always rename my files: Artist - Song name. I download a lot of songs, so it takes a lot of work for me to constantly rename songs. What I would like is to have them automatically renamed based on ID3 tags.

In the media player, I need to be able to sort by genre, recently added, and be able to quickly search for an artist or song name. It also needs to monitor my music folder and add anything new in the folder to the library.

Windows Media Player can do all of this - except renaming the mp3s. It actually does have the ability to do it, but I find it only ends up renaming maybe 1/10 songs.

Anyone know of a better player?

I use winamp to organize my mp3s…

If you want a media player to play all types of vidoes, VLC is your best bet.

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
I use winamp to organize my mp3s…

If you want a media player to play all types of vidoes, VLC is your best bet.[/quote]

QFT

No.

The greatest music player, do its enormous flexibility and tagging/database functionality, is Media Monkey.

Be warned that if you use it with your iPod, you may experience a weird issue with song names renamed from the 4-letter iTunes-named file, but if you just have a collection of music on your comp, nothing comes close to Media Monkey.

Winamp, easy to use, and convenient. Plus I love the customization options.

Winamp can’t rename, and suggesting VLC makes me think you didn’t read my post lol.

MediaMonkey looks good though.

MediaMonkey will do a ton of batch tagging, batch conversions and there are dozens of plugins. The community is active, and that always inspires my confidence when it comes to software.

It’s a really powerful database for managing music, trust me. I am as critical as they come when it comes to this shit.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Media Monkey or its affiliates.

winamp can rename…

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
MediaMonkey will do a ton of batch tagging, batch conversions and there are dozens of plugins. The community is active, and that always inspires my confidence when it comes to software.

It’s a really powerful database for managing music, trust me. I am as critical as they come when it comes to this shit.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Media Monkey or its affiliates.[/quote]

2nd Media Monkey - after a lot of search for something like it at work, I settled with it and it’s working very well.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
winamp can rename…[/quote]

We are not talking about renaming a single or a few files, but the equivalent of playing God with gigabytes of music at a time.

Plus, MediaMonkey has a plugin that can query an album’s information from Amazon and rename your collection based on the “official” track titles. Very cool, plus you can download the album art in the same operation.

And all done in BATCH.

songbird?

It seems pretty good, but I don’t know that it’s your best bet. I’ve not had a chance to dive in and explore it yet.

Alright, I tried MediaMonkey. Pretty sweet. WMP has a nicer layout, but with a new skin MM isn’t too bad. The file renaming and tagging is perfect though. I’m sure it takes less computer resources than WMP as well.

It seems like I can take music off my ipod and paste it into my computer. Seems excellent.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Alright, I tried MediaMonkey. Pretty sweet. WMP has a nicer layout, but with a new skin MM isn’t too bad. The file renaming and tagging is perfect though. I’m sure it takes less computer resources than WMP as well. [/quote]

You can tell the program was written by a bunch of geeks. That’s why I love it; for us, by us.

Someone must’ve had 10,000 songs whose names were all jumbled, and sat down and said, “Fuck, I need to rename all these at once.”