Need a Diet to Gain 25 Pounds

[quote]HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
I’d say most grow best with a dietary fat percentage of 30%, protein at 1.5 grams per pound, and the rest carbs. Include 6 to 10 servings of fruits and veggies per day and peri-workout nutrition.

What else is there really?

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat. [/quote]

I see what you mean dude. Those recommendations I gave are just examples I gave to show how damn simple designing a weight-gain diet can be. Your food-choice recommendations are all great.

This guy is going for a giant goal. If he said he wants to gain 25 pounds in a year, I’d say, “Good, go for it!” With this goal he has here, I say, “Good, go for it–but you better know what the heck you’re doing in order to reach that goal!”

That goal is more reasonable for 2 years.

i aim for like 2 dozen eggs, 1-2 litres of 3.255% milk, a batch of protein cookie from the Lonnie Lowery interview (approx 800 cals, 50gs of protein) 1-2 yams per day, and if i plan for it/have time, 1-2 bowls of chili. plus a bowl or 2 of oatmeal with frozen fruit.

milk is a godsend, its like water. but with protein in it. obviously its lackin in veggies. and fiber. but im gainin weight and thanks to the chili i can throw garlic and onion in there. i put a lot of spices and peppers for the marginal health benefits (eases my conscience). carrots will be added soon.

how much food is that every day? i unno. i dont like math very much.

usually eat 6-10 eggs at a time, plus a big glass of milk for as many meals as i can, so im usually between 14-20 eggs a day

gallon of whole milk a day in addition to your other food
widowmaker squats
as in 20 rep rest pause squats with your 12 rep continuous max
promise you 15lbs in a month
It won’t all be muscle but it’s a promised way to gain weight

[quote]HBSBound wrote:
silverhydra wrote:
HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
I’d say most grow best with a dietary fat percentage of 30%, protein at 1.5 grams per pound, and the rest carbs. Include 6 to 10 servings of fruits and veggies per day and peri-workout nutrition.

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat.

Bricknyce offered 30% Protein and lots of carbs as a way that ‘most people gain weight’, and also mentioned a lifestyle diet above maintenance.

You, on the other hand, Tell OP to buy certain foods at precise weights, with no lee-way to his tastes (Just Spinach? No Eggs?) and then say that it should put on quality mass without fat? Any adjustments are to the amounts and not the foods themselves?

Who the hell opened up Pandora’s Box here?

I see that you feel very strongly about this. Admirable display of passion! I didn’t provide any normative suggestions advocating for him to put on muscle without fat, although I subscribe to that school of thought (put this out there for the benefit of full disclosure). I gave him an example of what a diet to help him accomplish his goal would look like. I also provided the macro breakdown for him to evaluate. I guess you’re taking issue with my specifically answering his question after making a lighthearted comment about the invitation for disagreements that would result from the other poster’s comment. Apologies are in order for unduly putting the burden on you to exercise critical analytical thinking.[/quote]

Aw, man, why do you have to be agreeable and logical? I wanted to flame looks down and kicks feet

Reviewing your post, if I were to look at your outline of foods as an example of a day, then it seems fine. I was just a bit annoyed as (I thought) you were shitting on simple but effective advice for a newbie and making it more complicated than it should be.

And yes, I am passionate about nutrition; I’m a dietetics student in university surrounded by holistic vegans and vegetarians who think that cancer will befall me when I eat some eggs. It’s a kind of environment where I have learned to listen to other views, but at the same time be very defensive about mine.

[quote]Yeti in Training wrote:
gallon of whole milk a day in addition to your other food
widowmaker squats
as in 20 rep rest pause squats with your 12 rep continuous max
promise you 20-25lbs in about a month[/quote]

Right: 20 to 25 pounds of muscle… AND FAT!

Even if one can pull off the respectable feat of 4 pounds of muscle in a month, is it necessary to gain 20 pounds or more of fat with it?

High rep squats are not a bad idea; they’re effective for quad development with most people; a lot of bodybuilders have experienced better results with high reps for quads.

Rest pause and advanced techniques aren’t even necessary with a person who’s so far behind that they don’t know how to eat to gain. That’s a REAL newbie, both in experience and education.

eat 1 lbs of ground beef plus a cup of rice 5 times a day

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
HBSBound wrote:
silverhydra wrote:
HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat.

Bricknyce offered 30% Protein and lots of carbs as a way that ‘most people gain weight’, and also mentioned a lifestyle diet above maintenance.

You, on the other hand, Tell OP to buy certain foods at precise weights, with no lee-way to his tastes (Just Spinach? No Eggs?) and then say that it should put on quality mass without fat? Any adjustments are to the amounts and not the foods themselves?

Who the hell opened up Pandora’s Box here?

I see that you feel very strongly about this. Admirable display of passion! I didn’t provide any normative suggestions advocating for him to put on muscle without fat, although I subscribe to that school of thought (put this out there for the benefit of full disclosure). I gave him an example of what a diet to help him accomplish his goal would look like. I also provided the macro breakdown for him to evaluate. I guess you’re taking issue with my specifically answering his question after making a lighthearted comment about the invitation for disagreements that would result from the other poster’s comment. Apologies are in order for unduly putting the burden on you to exercise critical analytical thinking.

Aw, man, why do you have to be agreeable and logical? I wanted to flame looks down and kicks feet

Reviewing your post, if I were to look at your outline of foods as an example of a day, then it seems fine. I was just a bit annoyed as (I thought) you were shitting on simple but effective advice for a newbie and making it more complicated than it should be.

And yes, I am passionate about nutrition; I’m a dietetics student in university surrounded by holistic vegans and vegetarians who think that cancer will befall me when I eat some eggs. It’s a kind of environment where I have learned to listen to other views, but at the same time be very defensive about mine.[/quote]

I WAS a dietetics student and am now an RD. Nice to “meet” you.

[quote]Kerley wrote:
eat 1 lbs of ground beef plus a cup of rice 5 times a day[/quote]

That’s 157 grams of protein, a small amount for most. Plus that would be an extremely boring, unless you’re giving this as an example of food to be eaten with other foods.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

I WAS a dietetics student and am now an RD. Nice to “meet” you. [/quote]

Caught wind of you title in another thread, first RD I have “met” who acknowledges that nutrition can be used in a sports and bodybuilding sense effectively (I hope that I have only met oblivious dieticians, hope the entire field isn’t blind).

Your passion for nutrition is also inspiring; so nice to “meet” you too.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
He’s also seeking to attain a VERY difficult thing: 25 pounds of muscle in a year! That’s almost 1/2 a pound of muscle per WEEK on average.

I HATE being rude… but I really don’t think that someone who asks what the proper diet is for gaining has the dexterity or is in the position to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year.

i can gain it sooner than that I got good genes for that sort of thing.

You can gain 25 pounds of muscle in less than a year?! You better be a total newbie then!

You got the genes for this sort of thing? Well, this isn’t all about genes!

It’s obvious what I say rings true–that you don’t have the DEXTERITY/COMPETENCE–considering that you even asked if 4,500 calories was the recommendation for day or week’s worth of food.

I’m NOT saying this to not go for your goal or that you CAN’T. I’m saying that if you don’t go trough the giant pain in the ass of giving yourself a thorough nutrition education; or seek out the advice of a professional; or some other well-educated person who’ll counsel you for free, AND applying this information, then you can’t make good gains, let alone a stellar, jaw-dropping result of 25 pounds of muscle gained in LESS THAN A YEAR.

What I’m saying is, people who are in the POSITION to embark on that goal either have someone helping them with their diet or know how to do it themselves already. Granted, you can set up your diet in a day if you just figure out how to design one. But it will take some adjustment and experimentation to see which one works for you, and this experimentation can slow down gains. If you’re very experienced with your body and diet, then you don’t need much experimentation anymore. That’s what I mean by POSITION.

I don’t know if I’ve explained myself well or not, but maybe it came across OK.

AND we also left out how you’re training… to gain 25 lbs in a year. [/quote]

Well ill be 23 years old in a few weeks and have been at it since 2003. I am pound for pound one of the strongest men in my gym and I lift at the original Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park, MI. Now for the past 6 years i lift real hard and heavy, check my hub for my lifts, but my giet has been shit. When I went to the doc a while back, he said my t levels are high.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
He’s also seeking to attain a VERY difficult thing: 25 pounds of muscle in a year! That’s almost 1/2 a pound of muscle per WEEK on average.

I HATE being rude… but I really don’t think that someone who asks what the proper diet is for gaining has the dexterity or is in the position to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year.

i can gain it sooner than that I got good genes for that sort of thing.

You can gain 25 pounds of muscle in less than a year?! You better be a total newbie then!

You got the genes for this sort of thing? Well, this isn’t all about genes!

It’s obvious what I say rings true–that you don’t have the DEXTERITY/COMPETENCE–considering that you even asked if 4,500 calories was the recommendation for day or week’s worth of food.

I’m NOT saying this to not go for your goal or that you CAN’T. I’m saying that if you don’t go trough the giant pain in the ass of giving yourself a thorough nutrition education; or seek out the advice of a professional; or some other well-educated person who’ll counsel you for free, AND applying this information, then you can’t make good gains, let alone a stellar, jaw-dropping result of 25 pounds of muscle gained in LESS THAN A YEAR.

What I’m saying is, people who are in the POSITION to embark on that goal either have someone helping them with their diet or know how to do it themselves already. Granted, you can set up your diet in a day if you just figure out how to design one. But it will take some adjustment and experimentation to see which one works for you, and this experimentation can slow down gains. If you’re very experienced with your body and diet, then you don’t need much experimentation anymore. That’s what I mean by POSITION.

I don’t know if I’ve explained myself well or not, but maybe it came across OK.

AND we also left out how you’re training… to gain 25 lbs in a year.

Well ill be 23 years old in a few weeks and have been at it since 2003. I am pound for pound one of the strongest men in my gym and I lift at the original Powerhouse Gym in Highland Park, MI. Now for the past 6 years i lift real hard and heavy, check my hub for my lifts, but my giet has been shit. When I went to the doc a while back, he said my t levels are high.

[/quote]

Alright, so maybe you can do it. Good! Straighten your diet out then, design one, or get someone to help you. Someone who knows this shit inside out can design a diet in half an hour.

You either educate yourself or shell out the 75 to 300 bucks to get help.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Caught wind of you title in another thread, first RD I have “met” who acknowledges that nutrition can be used in a sports and bodybuilding sense effectively (I hope that I have only met oblivious dieticians, hope the entire field isn’t blind).

[/quote]

Dude, there’s a whole dietetics practice group (DPG) for sports nutrition: SCAN (Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists) (www.scandpg.org).

There’s a whole slew of qualified sports dietitians out there.

Some have written for this site:
Lonnie Lowery
Marie Spano
Thomas Incledon
Chris Mohr
Eileen Bonci
Doug Kalman
Ryan Andrews

Colette Nelson RD is an Olympia level bodybuilder. Lonnie is fucking huge for a natural bodybuilder.

You can get a masters degree in sports nutrition. Many DPD programs also have an undergraduate class in exercise physiology.

So no, not every RD is a protein-phobic, lab coat-wearing, nebbishy, out-of-shape, granola bar-eating schlub.

I’ve only had professors in my public health-related, sports nutrition and other exercise-related courses that were up with the times.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Kerley wrote:

That’s 157 grams of protein, a small amount for most. Plus that would be an extremely boring, unless you’re giving this as an example of food to be eaten with other foods.

[/quote]

5 lbs of beef will provide more than 157g of protein

First off, I don’t believe your lifts. You can incline 255 for 10 but 225 for 20? That doesn’t add up at all. Second, if you “had the genes for this” you’d already be where you’re trying to get.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
Kerley wrote:

5 lbs of beef will provide more than 157g of protein[/quote]

Look at the way he wrote the sentence. He wrote: eat 1 lb of beef… plus 1 cup of rice 5 times per day. I read it wrong. There’s 3 grams of protein in 1/3 cup of rice and 7 grams of protein in every oz of protein.

So I did the math wrong because of how he wrote it or how I read it; whatever.

Why the hell would someone consume 5 pounds of beef per day? That’s 560 grams of protein, not to mention the other 45 grams from the rice!

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
Kerley wrote:

Look at the way he wrote the sentence. He wrote: eat 1 lb of beef… plus 1 cup of rice 5 times per day. I read it wrong. There’s 3 grams of protein in 1/3 cup of rice and 7 grams of protein in every oz of protein.

Why the hell would someone consume 5 pounds of beef per day? That’s 560 grams of protein, not to mention the other 45 grams from the rice!
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I think it’s a reference to the cutting diet of Kai Greene, which was listed in a thread in the BB Training forum as having been a pound of meat (salmon, chicken and steak) and a quart of rice, 5 times a day.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
Kerley wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think it’s a reference to the cutting diet of Kai Greene, which was listed in a thread in the BB Training forum as having been a pound of meat (salmon, chicken and steak) and a quart of rice, 5 times a day.[/quote]

yes…but i was being slightly sarcastic as well.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
silverhydra wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Dude, there’s a whole dietetics practice group (DPG) for sports nutrition: SCAN (Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutritionists) (www.scandpg.org).

There’s a whole slew of qualified sports dietitians out there.

Some have written for this site:
Lonnie Lowery
Marie Spano
Thomas Incledon
Chris Mohr
Eileen Bonci
Doug Kalman
Ryan Andrews

Colette Nelson RD is an Olympia level bodybuilder. Lonnie is fucking huge for a natural bodybuilder.

You can get a masters degree in sports nutrition. Many DPD programs also have an undergraduate class in exercise physiology.

So no, not every RD is a protein-phobic, lab coat-wearing, nebbishy, out-of-shape, granola bar-eating schlub.

I’ve only had professors in my public health-related, sports nutrition and other exercise-related courses that were up with the times.

[/quote]

Your comment is reassuring (so I DO have shit luck with those I meet)
And you link made my year, a thousand thanks!

Does anyone else worry about Brick every time he posts?

I feel the poor guy loses 12 hours off his life with the frustration with which he sometimes seems to respond.

Bring back Ghetto Brick! Give regular Brick a break from the high blood pressure!

:slight_smile:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

You either educate yourself or shell out the 75 to 300 bucks to get help. [/quote]

Whoa its a recession my brotha!!!