Need a Diet to Gain 25 Pounds

Over the next year i want to gain 20-25 pounds of muscle ( get my weight to about 195-200 pounds). I know the only thing holding me from that is what I eat, I eat pretty much at random and whatever I can find. What I need is a steady diet so to that end im asking if anyone knows a particular diet i should follow?

Im 5’10.5 tall

Seafood diet

really? over 1000 posts and this is what your throwing out there…

eat that woman in your avatar and you’ll be well on your way

lol

Have you ever tried reading some of the thousands of articles on here or on the internet.

[quote]BMellow wrote:
really? over 1000 posts and this is what your throwing out there…

[/quote]

Hey! Those were quality posts! I especially liked the Oly-lifting experience and the ghana-girl stories.

OP: We have a beginner’s forum. I heartily recommend reading through the stickie’d threads.

C’MON HOMIE!

A lifestyle diet with enough calories and nutrients to grow.

How’s that?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
A lifestyle diet with enough calories and nutrients to grow.

How’s that? [/quote]

There you go.

Find your maintenance, then eat a balanced diet 500 calories over it.

I’d say most grow best with a dietary fat percentage of 30%, protein at 1.5 grams per pound, and the rest carbs. Include 6 to 10 servings of fruits and veggies per day and peri-workout nutrition.

What else is there really?

He’s also seeking to attain a VERY difficult thing: 25 pounds of muscle in a year! That’s almost 1/2 a pound of muscle per WEEK on average.

I HATE being rude… but I really don’t think that someone who asks what the proper diet is for gaining has the dexterity or is in the position to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year.

Brick you’re giving away valuable information…stop that!

OP buy lots of beef, rice, eggs, blah blah blah…consume.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I’d say most grow best with a dietary fat percentage of 30%, protein at 1.5 grams per pound, and the rest carbs. Include 6 to 10 servings of fruits and veggies per day and peri-workout nutrition.

What else is there really? [/quote]

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat.

[quote]HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat. [/quote]

Bricknyce offered 30% Protein and lots of carbs as a way that ‘most people gain weight’, and also mentioned a lifestyle diet above maintenance.

You, on the other hand, Tell OP to buy certain foods at precise weights, with no lee-way to his tastes (Just Spinach? No Eggs?) and then say that it should put on quality mass without fat? Any adjustments are to the amounts and not the foods themselves?

Who the hell opened up Pandora’s Box here?

[quote]HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat. [/quote]

Is ths daily???

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
He’s also seeking to attain a VERY difficult thing: 25 pounds of muscle in a year! That’s almost 1/2 a pound of muscle per WEEK on average.

I HATE being rude… but I really don’t think that someone who asks what the proper diet is for gaining has the dexterity or is in the position to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year. [/quote]

i can gain it sooner than that I got good genes for that sort of thing.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Oh boy! Here we go again. Really? You had to go to the macronutrients detail? You just opened Pandora’s box. I hope you enjoy the ensuing flurry of bad advice that’s about to come as a result. How about this OP? 2 lbs of steak, 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 lb of brown rice, 4 cups of spinach, 3 apples, 3 protein shakes, 3 tsp of fish oil. That would put you at roughly 4,500 calories, 490 grams of protein, 200 grams of carbs, and 190 grams of fat. Adjust up or down as desired, but that should be a decent start for putting on quality mass without gaining unwanted fat.

Is ths daily???
[/quote]

Is there really another option? I’m not sure that you can thrive on 4,500 calories a week.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
HBSBound wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Bricknyce offered 30% Protein and lots of carbs as a way that ‘most people gain weight’, and also mentioned a lifestyle diet above maintenance.

You, on the other hand, Tell OP to buy certain foods at precise weights, with no lee-way to his tastes (Just Spinach? No Eggs?) and then say that it should put on quality mass without fat? Any adjustments are to the amounts and not the foods themselves?

Who the hell opened up Pandora’s Box here?

[/quote]

I see that you feel very strongly about this. Admirable display of passion! I didn’t provide any normative suggestions advocating for him to put on muscle without fat, although I subscribe to that school of thought (put this out there for the benefit of full disclosure). I gave him an example of what a diet to help him accomplish his goal would look like. I also provided the macro breakdown for him to evaluate. I guess you’re taking issue with my specifically answering his question after making a lighthearted comment about the invitation for disagreements that would result from the other poster’s comment. Apologies are in order for unduly putting the burden on you to exercise critical analytical thinking.

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

I HATE being rude… but I really don’t think that someone who asks what the proper diet is for gaining has the dexterity or is in the position to gain 25 pounds of muscle in a year.

i can gain it sooner than that I got good genes for that sort of thing.[/quote]

You can gain 25 pounds of muscle in less than a year?! You better be a total newbie then!

You got the genes for this sort of thing? Well, this isn’t all about genes!

It’s obvious what I say rings true–that you don’t have the DEXTERITY/COMPETENCE–considering that you even asked if 4,500 calories was the recommendation for day or week’s worth of food.

I’m NOT saying this to not go for your goal or that you CAN’T. I’m saying that if you don’t go trough the giant pain in the ass of giving yourself a thorough nutrition education; or seek out the advice of a professional; or some other well-educated person who’ll counsel you for free, AND applying this information, then you can’t make good gains, let alone a stellar, jaw-dropping result of 25 pounds of muscle gained in LESS THAN A YEAR.

What I’m saying is, people who are in the POSITION to embark on that goal either have someone helping them with their diet or know how to do it themselves already. Granted, you can set up your diet in a day if you just figure out how to design one. But it will take some adjustment and experimentation to see which one works for you, and this experimentation can slow down gains. If you’re very experienced with your body and diet, then you don’t need much experimentation anymore. That’s what I mean by POSITION.

I don’t know if I’ve explained myself well or not, but maybe it came across OK.

AND we also left out how you’re training… to gain 25 lbs in a year.