T Nation

Need a Bit of Wisdom

Hey guys I need help choosing what 3 day split would probably work best for me between these two routines. Im 6'0 160lbs, and want to gain muscle mass. I have the hardest time gaining chest muscle. I also have boxing training 3x per week which is pretty much all cardio and bodyweight exercises, so I really want to be careful and not overtrain.

Mon: Chest/Back
Wed: Shoulders/Legs
Fri: Arms

~OR~

Mon: Chest/Tri
Wed: Back/Bicep
Fri: Shoulders/Legs

I heard that Chest/Tri is good for not indirectly hitting other muscles, which can lead to overtraining. But I also heard that if you're doing only 1 body part per week it can start to shrink before the next time to do it comes around. And by doing the Chest/Back split you will indirectly hit chest while doing triceps. Just enough to keep it from shrinking, before you blast chest again the following Monday.

With both weightlifting and boxing your body will have a difficult time recovering properly for growth to occur. Since you’re asking how to gain mass your answer will be stop boxing and make sure your eating 3500-4000 kcals/day. With boxing your looking at closer to 5k cals and will still have non-optimal growth. You will probably tell yourself you can eat that much but most ppl cant/wont - keep a food log. Good luck

K thanks but I really just want to know which 3 day split would be better in my situation. To help with chest growth and not cause overtraining?

K thanks but I really just want to know which 3 day split would be better in my situation. To help with chest growth and not cause overtraining?

bump

I think that MaxPower said it best, it’s going to be hard chasing 2 goals at once. I think the expression is equated to masturbating and riding your bicycle at the same time - sure you could do both, but you can’t do both very well.

If given only the 2 choices you’ve posted, I’d choose the 2nd. I don’t believe in arm-only days, but that’s my opinion.

Give legs their own day and move shoulders with chest/tri.

And stfu about overtraining. Just eat enough and you’ll be fine. I doubt you could overtrain even if you tried.

chest/tri
back/bi
shoulders/legs

Deads are done on “back” day.

Somethig like this maybe:

flat bench
incline bench
dips
tri-ext

bentover rows
deads
chins
curls

overhead press
shrugs
squats
lunge

Start with 5x5. Keep adding weight. That should keep you busy for a while.

Gain 40lbs and your chest wont have a hard time gaining muscle…

Do you want a big chest, or do you want to box?

If want to box and have a low weight class, then forget about your chest. If it doesn’t matter, then start eating.

[quote]McMusclesNHam wrote:
K thanks but I really just want to know which 3 day split would be better in my situation. To help with chest growth and not cause overtraining?[/quote]

HAHAHA

You’re looking for wisdom, but all you really want is an A or B answer…