Need a Big Bench Increase

[quote]shffl wrote:
Creatine is all you need. Beta alanine is useful but not much when it comes to absolute strength. BCAA/EAA’s are nice to have but again, not required at all. Any other supplements will be a waste of money. [/quote]

For me at least Beta alanine gives a definite strength boost and for pretty much everyone will give a significant boost to workout capacity

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[quote]shffl wrote:
Creatine is all you need. Beta alanine is useful but not much when it comes to absolute strength. BCAA/EAA’s are nice to have but again, not required at all. Any other supplements will be a waste of money. [/quote]

For me at least Beta alanine gives a definite strength boost and for pretty much everyone will give a significant boost to workout capacity[/quote]
I have a protien that has some EAAs in it that I’ll mix in a post workout shake.

That’s def strong for a 16 y/o I don’t think I hit 315 until the end o my JR year in high school so I would have been at least 17 but I had the unfortunate luck of going to school with two of the strongest guy in the nation… One was a 2 time state powerlifting champ and the other did a 700sq 525 bench and 600+ deadlift… Talk about being stuck in third!! Good luck…

Not sure what you decided but in my opinion training max singles is stupid. Run smolov jr and hit your back following each session to keep your shoulders healthy. Volume is what builds strength. I’ve done smolov for the bench before while I was training around an ankle injury and I put 40lbs on my bench in 3 weeks. I also only weighed 165lbs at the time.

[quote]clutz15 wrote:
Not sure what you decided but in my opinion training max singles is stupid. Run smolov jr and hit your back following each session to keep your shoulders healthy. Volume is what builds strength. I’ve done smolov for the bench before while I was training around an ankle injury and I put 40lbs on my bench in 3 weeks. I also only weighed 165lbs at the time. [/quote]

Max singles are stupid? Volume is what builds strength? Seriously?

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:
Not sure what you decided but in my opinion training max singles is stupid. Run smolov jr and hit your back following each session to keep your shoulders healthy. Volume is what builds strength. I’ve done smolov for the bench before while I was training around an ankle injury and I put 40lbs on my bench in 3 weeks. I also only weighed 165lbs at the time. [/quote]

Max singles are stupid? Volume is what builds strength? Seriously?[/quote]

100%

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

100%[/quote]
x2 on what clutz said.

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

100%[/quote]
x2 on what clutz said.[/quote]

There’s quite a bit of respected authority that wholeheartedly disagrees with both of you. Doing max singles alone, and nothing else, is not the best way to build strength. But ME work is a staple of any program that will succesfully achieve long term strength gains.

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

[quote]Rock978 wrote:

[quote]clutz15 wrote:

100%[/quote]
x2 on what clutz said.[/quote]

There’s quite a bit of respected authority that wholeheartedly disagrees with both of you. Doing max singles alone, and nothing else, is not the best way to build strength. But ME work is a staple of any program that will succesfully achieve long term strength gains.[/quote]

I have to respectfully disagree. Read any Russian literature or almost any european training protocol for that matter and explain to me how often they do max singles.

Don’t derail the thread. A lot of us are intersted in the OP’s goals.

Beta alanine always helped me with strength. I got a few more pounds on my lifts and could do more work longer.

We all would be interested in a log of your training. It will may also help with your motivation.

By the way clutz my strength went no-where when i did a german volume traing routine(10X10). Singles build the most absolute or limit strength. But you can’t do singles all the time. That’s where the repition and speed work come into play. Check out Prilipin’s chart. You also might want to read some bulgarian workouts and literature.

I hear where your coming from with the volume idea. But lower volume builds more strength.

3 reps X 10 sets with 300 lbs = 9,000lbs

10 reps X 10 sets with 300 lbs = 30,000lbs

You get more strength from the lower volume routine

[quote]dayoff wrote:
Don’t derail the thread. A lot of us are intersted in the OP’s goals.

Beta alanine always helped me with strength. I got a few more pounds on my lifts and could do more work longer.

We all would be interested in a log of your training. It will may also help with your motivation.

By the way clutz my strength went no-where when i did a german volume traing routine(10X10). Singles build the most absolute or limit strength. But you can’t do singles all the time. That’s where the repition and speed work come into play. Check out Prilipin’s chart. You also might want to read some bulgarian workouts and literature.

I hear where your coming from with the volume idea. But lower volume builds more strength.

3 reps X 10 sets with 300 lbs = 9,000lbs

10 reps X 10 sets with 300 lbs = 30,000lbs

You get more strength from the lower volume routine[/quote]

I base all my training off of prilipens chart and no where on there is a set of 10 a recommended range for building strength. Obviously someone who can bench 10x10 at 300 isnt going to get the same training response by benching 10x3 at the same weight. Building strength is achieved through the manipulation of volume and intensity, which is obviously a continuum. If you constantly train near 100% intensity the volume will be too low to elicit strength gains. Just like if you train at too low of a percentage (ie 10x10) you aren’t handling enough weight to properly build the neuromuscular pathways to handle heavy loads. The 70-85% range is by far the most effective way to train with a high frequency allowing for the highest proficiency in the competition lifts.

Tying this back to the original post, considering you are only concerned with improving one specific lift, my personal opinion is following something volume based like smolov is your best bet because it allows for you to train the competition lift most frequently which will improve your technique and allow for you to handle the most “work” over the course of the next month. Now assuming you have already started your prep for this the whole conversation is pretty pointless.

Sorry for derailing the thread! :smiley: goodluck, hope you get it.

There’s nothing that says you can’t train at or near 100% and get volume in as well after the ME work, and get volume in on days when you don’t do ME work. Obviously if you’re just training at or near 100% and nothing else that’s not a good idea. And given the demands and stress of high intensity training, you are of course going to be doing the majority of your lifts below 90%. But to suggest that max singles are stupid and don’t lead to strength gains is, well, beyond stupid.

For the science behind it, take a look at Zatsiorsky. For actual practice, you need look no further than Westside Barbell. Do max efforts comprise the majority of lifts? Of course not. But they’ll all tell you that ME is necessary to achieve the best strength gains.

OPs case may be unique, at least for his short term goal of benching as much as he can one month from now. In that case, a peaking program for the bench like Smolov Jr. may be best. But let’s not start making unsupported statements like max singles are stupid and lower intensity, higher volume work produces the best strength gains.

[quote]Rock978 wrote:
There’s nothing that says you can’t train at or near 100% and get volume in as well after the ME work, and get volume in on days when you don’t do ME work. Obviously if you’re just training at or near 100% and nothing else that’s not a good idea. And given the demands and stress of high intensity training, you are of course going to be doing the majority of your lifts below 90%. But to suggest that max singles are stupid and don’t lead to strength gains is, well, beyond stupid.

For the science behind it, take a look at Zatsiorsky. For actual practice, you need look no further than Westside Barbell. Do max efforts comprise the majority of lifts? Of course not. But they’ll all tell you that ME is necessary to achieve the best strength gains.

OPs case may be unique, at least for his short term goal of benching as much as he can one month from now. In that case, a peaking program for the bench like Smolov Jr. may be best. But let’s not start making unsupported statements like max singles are stupid and lower intensity, higher volume work produces the best strength gains.[/quote]

I stand by my statement. I personally choose lifters I would like to emulate and I think you’d be hard pressed to find any Westside followers internationally outside of the US. But thats a whole other discussion.

Lifters like Olech, Belyaev, Malanichev and Fedosienko are perfect examples of the volume approach in practice and are all respectfully at the top of the sport.

I usally hit 90% almost every week and I often would hit 100% but not all the time. Also for those who asked i decided that dayoff’s programm was the best for me. I’m not to confident in my own ability to handle Smolov Jr. I know it is great program ,but I don’t think my body could handle that much bench in one week. Reguardless ill keep you guys updated on everything.

Tuesday did some boards presses up to 365 for 2 reps, then did some slingshot work. Hit my back hard and did some tris. I forgot my straps at home so my grip was absolutly dead be the end of my back. Tonight I’m going to hit some shoulders and traps then tomorrow I’m going to do a bit of singles work to end the week. Thanks for all the support and attention guys helps ALOT!!

Man this post got quit now.

Were still here. Wanting to know how your progress has been. Let us know how your trainings been goin.

Wed May 1st.

As of right now my last bench day I did 4 singles at 295 and the last was really grindy so I failed it and went down to 275 then did some slingshot work. Hit back super hard then a bit of tricep. During my dumbell rows I screwed the ligament up in my knee ,and i think ill have to get it drained or something. Idk but the swelling in it was super bad so I’m going to ice it and heat it tonight and take it really easy.

Do the rice for 24 hrs. R=rest I=ice C=compression E=elevation. Take some ibuprofen. Don’t apply heat it will make it swell more. Your going way too high on the singles. First week of singles should be @255. 80%x320=256. 2nd week singles @ 84%=268lbs. 3rd week singles @ 88%= 281lbs. Wrap the shit out of and don’t be a pussy and use it as an excuse.

[quote]dayoff wrote:
Do the rice for 24 hrs. R=rest I=ice C=compression E=elevation. Take some ibuprofen. Don’t apply heat it will make it swell more. Your going way too high on the singles. First week of singles should be @255. 80%x320=256. 2nd week singles @ 84%=268lbs. 3rd week singles @ 88%= 281lbs. Wrap the shit out of and don’t be a pussy and use it as an excuse. [/quote]
Thanks for letting me know i was going to high on singles. Also yea I’m not going to let my knee be an excuse. If I don’t get the lift it is my strength ,but I’ll try this might help more.