T Nation

Need a Big Bench Increase

Hey guys so heres the story. I’m 16 years old my birthday is on May 18, and I want to beat troy Kays bench record before I turn 17. Troy Kay at 16 benched 330 pounds. Currently I’m benching 315. I was wondering, do any of you think this is possible or is it just a hopeful dream that I wont complete.

Your best bet is probably to make some changes in your technique that will push you over the limit. Post of video of you benching and there may be some here that can give you some pointers that will give you an extra 20 lbs.

Ill see if I can get a video up some time. I really try and imitate the way Ryan Kennelly benches. tried many other ways and I just found the way he sets up just give me a huge arch in my back.

Could try to run Smolov Jr. If you were to start the program Monday you would have enough time to finish and have a few days to rest before you retest your max. However you did not mention what your current program is so I’m not sure if that would benefit you at all.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:
Hey guys so heres the story. I’m 16 years old my birthday is on May 18, and I want to beat troy Kays bench record before I turn 17. Troy Kay at 16 benched 330 pounds. Currently I’m benching 315. I was wondering, do any of you think this is possible or is it just a hopeful dream that I wont complete.[/quote]
You’re just gonna have to get on a peaking program and go for it. Is there a certain weight you need to be at? If not start eating fucking everything and put on as much weight as you can in a month.

FFMatt actually right now I don’t run a program. My days in the gym are somewhat sporadic since I don’t have a consistant schedule with school and work. I just make sure to get good volume on my chest legsand back right now. Once school is out though I will definatly start hitting a solid program like Smolov Jr. But Ill look into Smolov Jr. and csulli i dont have to be at a certain weight. This is going to be unofficial so i just want to get a video of me benching over 330. Right now i way 250 and am about 6 foot.

O also one thing that i should mention. And, this may be because I’m still a kid but I try and model my form like some pros. and I have found that Ryan Kennellys bench setup is the way I find the best arch. But on most of the lifts that i have seen Ryan do his ass is in the air like 3 or 4 inches nowadays. What is everyone opinion on that

Smolov JR is supposedly good. I’m running it right now, have 6 sessions to go.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:
i dont have to be at a certain weight. This is going to be unofficial so i just want to get a video of me benching over 330.[/quote]
Alright well if you’re serious about this then throw caution to the wind and start bloating yourself up like a fucking maniac.

You do realize there are 16 year olds who have benched well over 330, right? Not much of a point to picking one federation’s record for a 16 year old as your reference point if you’re not actually competing in a comp run by that federation. Why not just focus on continuing to get stronger? I wouldn’t be running a peaking program at 16 year olds with a gym lift as my end goal of that peaking program.

Also, you’re obviously very strong for a 16 year old. Whether or not you focus on trying to add 20lbs to your bench in the next month, after May 18th find a good strength program you like and follow it. A lot of them are flexible such that it’s OK if the days on which you can lift are sporadic. Train with a purpose and a plan in mind so you can get the most out of the natural strength you’ve been blessed with.

Hey rock your totally right man like there really isn’t a point. I’m really just wanting to see if im capable of doing it. also i’ve looked through many pages and forum sites and the highest i could find proof of in the past like 10 years was troy kays. I’ve seen a “16” year odl do 345 for 8 on flat with close grip but ill be damned to believe that. But i totally agree with you there really is no point im just more or less curious.

Also yea Im going to look for a good program soon Ive been some what lazy. but I’ve been thinking about running a 5x5 or like cube. I’m not sure really. Whenever I’m able to really sit down and look at them Ill decide

5x5, cube, WSFSB, mad cows, 5-3-1 … they’ve all resulted in great strength gains for lots of people. Give one a shot and stick with them until you stop making gains. If you can’t get to the gym on a certain day that the program calls for a workout, just do that day the next time you can get in a gym.

Didn’t want to discourage you from going for 330+ as quickly as you can if that’s your goal. But you’re already an Ox at 16, probably a better bench than anyone you know your age or at your school. Focus on getting stronger over the course of 6 months, a year, 3 years etc. If starting to focus on the long term has to wait a month, probably not a big deal.

Thanks man ill definatly give it a shot. if i dont get the gains i want to in the first week or so then ill just cut it off and do exactly what your saying.

So this is a super dumb question. I’ve been looking at smolov Jr. Im suppose to bench on monday wednesday friday THEN saturday?? also how do i know how to add the non precentage bar weight.

Also what accesory movements should i do to accompany it??

-Train heavy bench singles with high frequency.
-Get heavier (since there’s no limit on what weight you have to be in right?)
-Train heavy bench singles with high frequency. (worth repeating ;))

[quote]shffl wrote:
-Train heavy bench singles with high frequency.
-Get heavier (since there’s no limit on what weight you have to be in right?)
-Train heavy bench singles with high frequency. (worth repeating ;))[/quote]
So what is the difference between that and Smolov Jr. also no I don’t care about my weight. Have a tub of mass gainer and I’m planning on taking 2 1/2 shakes a day. not to worried ;D

You have exactly four weeks. You can do this, your mindset is gonna play a big role. Each day spend 20 minutes visualizing yourself purforming that perfecrt rep with 351 lbs. See yourself walking out from the warm-up room, approaching the bench, setting up perfectly, unracking the weight, stabilizing the weight. bringing it down to your sweet spot, blowing that weight off your chest and blating it up and locking it out.

Workout wise I would traing chest 2x a week.
Day 1 Heavy chest,Hi volume/Lo intensity back, Low volume/Hi intensity tri’s
Day 2 Shoulders, traps
Day 3 Chest singles, Low volume/Hiintensity back, Hi volume/Low intensity, tri’s
Day 4 Legs Don’t really need to need to do legs. Leg strength will help with getting the weight moving at the expense of affecting your recuperation. At 250 lbs your legs are probally plently strong

Day 1, Week 1-2 board press work up to 3-2 rep max, Week 2-1 board press work up to a 3-2 rep max, Week 3 Bench to chest work up to a 1 rep max.
Accessory work- Reverse band press 3-4 sets of 3-5 reps, pyrimid up in weight.Chest supported rows 3-5 sets, seated or db rows 3-5 sets, Pulldowns to front 3-5 sets. Hammer curls 3 sets
Day 2 Front press- establish 5 rep max and 10lbs for the next 2 weeks, side laterals, bent laterals, Shrugs
Day 3 Bench press do about six singles, concentrating on perfecting your technique and exploding weight off chest. Week 1-8 singles @ 80% of 1 rep max, Week 2-6 singles @ 84% of 1 rep max, Week 3-6 singles @ 88% max.
accesory- Flat DB presses 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. chins 5 sets week 1, 6 sets week 2, 7 sets week 3. Lying db extensions 6 sets x 6 reps. Curls 3 setsOn all accesory work try to stop 1 rep short of failure.

Week before meet Just do some light singles @ 75-85% and some light incline db presses

Gain some weight and get plenty of sleep.