Need a Better Training and Diet Plan

I would like to clarify that the “food diary” I described above is not me on my diet :stuck_out_tongue: In the first post I mentioned how I went on a diet for about 2-3 months at the beginning of this year but developed stomach issues and combined with exams I decided to give the whole gym thing a break, hence I put this post up so I could start again but with a more suitable plan as I was clearly doing something wrong when I was on the diet. So the food I was describing wasn’t me trying to be healthy by any means, it was me on a normal day and is an honest description of what I’ve been eating most my life.

Well my advice is to change that shit, pronto.

1 Like

Yeh hence I’m here. But that still doesn’t address the issue of adjusting my diet in a way that can be kept in the long term

ok, well beastcoast gave you a fairly easy one with this:[quote=“beastcoast58, post:19, topic:219921”]
veggies, fruit, protein, rice
[/quote]

it’s all there really is to it. It’s as much about what you don’t eat as what you do.

If you’re eating plenty protein, tons of veggies and getting your carbs from rice then you can’t really go too far wrong.

1 Like

So you’re saying I need to cut out roti or just lower it?

I know I keep bringing it up but it’s a staple in my home food.

roti’s not the worst thing ever. It’s all the shit like pizza, burgers etc that you really need to cut loose

Yeah, I can do that.

you’ll be grand. Little changes can make big results.

1 Like

As for training, if that sleek slimmer look i would look up full body workouts with a good amount of plyometric work involved. It seems that for that look at is what a lot of people do. You can do it just stay the course.

1 Like

Yeah you’re spot on when you describe it as a “sleek, slimmer look”

Seems closer to cardio than weightlifting but if that’s what I need to do then I’ll do it

yes its a lot of “cardio” but it is more using your body and other resistance to create more athletic looking muscles i would describe it as. The speed and number of reps they normally do keeps body fat down and muscle growth more lean looking.

But that does not mean it wont make you toned. For example, if you did as many push ups as fast you could in a range of say 2 mins, well that might put you in a fat burning state similar to cardio, but at the same time you’re working muscles and breaking down tissue.

Um…Toning ? what is toning ?:confused:

1 Like

Young lady ( I mean no disrespect by this since you are the same age as my eldest son)

The view point that you are coming from seems to have been shaped by several old myths that still for some reason have still remained alive.

One its not easy too gain max muscle for anyone male or female especial for a young women your age unless they are genetically incline to do so.

Now the other is the whole concept of toning … Im just going to post part of a article posted on here by a respected professional trainer:

Myth #1: Lifting light weights for high reps will “shape and tone” your muscles.

This is the grand daddy of all training myths! Somehow the aerobics, yoga and Pilate’s community have convinced us that when we perform bodyweight exercises or light resistance training for high reps, our muscles magically take on a beautiful shape without growing or bulging. On the other hand, if you challenge yourself with moderately heavy weights, your body will take on a bulky, unflattering appearance. If you believe this, you probably still believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus!

Here are the facts. The main difference between a “lean and toned” physique and a “bulky” physique is the amount of body fat that surrounds your muscles! Basically, the “lean and toned” look that most people desire is a result of having muscle that isn’t hidden under layers of fat. And let’s not forget that the best way to build muscle is through strength training.

Generally speaking, this means challenging yourself with moderately heavy weights in the 6 to 15 rep range. It doesn’t mean using an insignificant resistance for a countless number of reps. This will do little to change your appearance. Remember, it’s the muscle on your frame which gives you your shape. Muscle also increases your metabolism which helps your body burn extra calories throughout the day.

1 Like

Yes, you do have the same goal they did. :blush: You are right of course that I need to be stricter than you do. After all, my long term goal is to be able to lift my own body weight over my head so I need to lose as much fat as your entire body weighs while adding 50 pounds to my clean and press.

I have read that shorter resting periods between reps are good for losing weight. My shortest rest period is one minute but you might go as short as 30 seconds after you are certain you are performing an exercise correctly.

@star_gazer

You’re getting some good advice here from @Yogi1, @bulldog9899 and @tsantos.

I’ll offer my two cents’ worth:

• what you want to achieve requires to you get your eating right and then your training right, in that order;

• there is no quick fix and it takes consistent work over a long period of time (years). If you focus on what changes you can see in the short term, you’ll sell yourself short. Buy into the process and run with it. A big part of that is keeping things manageable: be realistic in what changes you make and how you make them; and

• you don’t want to tone. You want to lose fat and add muscle. Eat and train reflecting that goal. That will give you that sleek, slender look despite what you may think. It is incredibly hard for a woman to gain significant muscle mass quickly without pharmaceutical assistance, so don’t worry that you’ll suddenly wake up as the Hulk. Besides, training to get strong and muscular is fun.

You definitely do not want cardio. Not cardio as in the typical way girls think of cardio–stairmaster, treadmill, elliptical.

The bottom line is that your muscles are the engine for your metabolism. If they are ignored or even atrophy, your metabolism tanks. Period.

I train a variety of women, and although the majority of my clients have goals more closely related to figure competitors, the one thing they share in common is this: weight training is their best friend for fat burning.

Put it this way–it is way, way easier to bust ass and work incredibly hard, hit your goal, and then simply MAINTAIN your body for a long time than it is to take forever and ever doing half-ass workouts because you’re scared of getting too big. Nobody–not even steroid using guys–wakes up one day and goes “OMG, I’m waaay TOO BIG!”. Doesn’t happen. Building muscle is about 5 times slower than pure fat loss…but if you’re not training to build muscle your fat loss eventually stalls. Kind of a zen thing.

I agree that whole body workouts will be a good way to go. The other thing I would advise is to consider yourself an athlete…and train like an athlete would. This means a: hard weight training with compound movements and challenging weights, b: a mix of conditioning that makes you move “athletically” rather than like a gerbil on a wheel and c: finally a sparing amount of traditional cardio.

Basically I would break down your starting point like this: Lift weights 3-4 times a week with a focus on whole body and big exercises, do conditioning 1-2 times a week. Do “regular” cardio 1 time a week if you do it at all.

Also, as others have said, ditch the obvious bad food.

1 Like

I had no idea Curry was asian, thought it was Indian which I guess is in Asia.

Seriously though, you are 18, don’t start counting calories or weighing food. It isnt healthy mentally. Learn to listen to your body. Eat the amount you want but of healthy foods.

You want to lean up a bit cut out the ice cream and desserts. I personally think hamburgers are on the healthy side depending on what you put on them.

For lifting the CT doesnt look terrible. I would go simpler. Upper Lower Off consisting of squats, lunges, deads, pullups dips power rows pushups bench in the 5-8 rep range.

Not sure why I am typing all this out, I made a FB page so I wouldnt have to anymore for friends or whoever is looking for advice.

Do the hardbody program it gets great reviews for leaning out fast and really bringing up dat ass.

Also you are Indian? -to be blunt you have like some of the worst genetics on the planet(Hello Olympics!) -in this case thats a good thing :sunglasses:

you will not get too muscular unless you dedicate your life to heavy training, eat beef, perfect sleep etc for years

We have loads of Indian males coming here asking for advice lately -they actively want to get as jacked as possible and really stuggle. You need to make double the effort for half the results.

Re diet: At 18 you just need to push it in training and not eat junk and youll see results. As others have said the main thing is sugar ie. skip the desserts/ice cream. Otherwise just eat to support your training, unless the roti and rice are massive portions i wouldnt worry about it. Adding green vegetables always a good thing also