Ned to Lose 15kg (33lb) for Meet in July

[quote]trollDude wrote:
In general though, I suspect a lot of fat people react better to the all meat than skinny people. In fact, I suspect that it’s why a lot of us are fat to start with, because our body doesn’t really react well to high carbs. It doesn’t know what to do with them so it just stores them. We are closer to our hunter gatherer ancestors than the skinny people. Our ancestors lived on all meat diets. If you look at Arctic peoples, they live almost entirely off meat, getting their vitamins from whale blubber, caribou and walrus liver, and the occasional berry. We are like them. Bread isn’t in our DNA.

Anyway this probably sounds totally nuts so take it for what it’s worth. If all meat is too extreme, try the 7 day carb diet, where you eat meat on the 7th day.[/quote]

The body is supposed to store energy if you eat more than your body needs. If you force sedentary skinny people to eat 2-3 times their normal caloric intake for a few weeks and you see them blow up, does that make them closer to our hunter gatherer ancestors? Force them on that diet for a few months to a year and I’m sure they’ll get even closer to our ancestors.

If the Arctic people had access to bread back in the day, they would probably eat it. People had to adapt to their environment to survive. In addition to eating a lot of meat, they were generally more physically active.

Too much of something isn’t always a good thing.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

If the Arctic people had access to bread back in the day, they would probably eat it. People had to adapt to their environment to survive. In addition to eating a lot of meat, they were generally more physically active.[/quote]

I dunno bro. I lived in the Arctic with an Inupiat tribal group for two years and never felt stronger than when eating Muktuk/ whale blubber. Just throwing that out there. The stuff is a lot better than whey.

[quote]trollDude wrote:
Yeah I’ve had ups and downs for sure.

But go back and read my post again. I clearly said, I lost 35 pounds last year without dieting, by adding walking. If I were going to advise a major life change, I’d say walk a lot. But that won’t take the weight off by July.

His question isn’t about lifestyle. It’s about losing weight by July. I’m not giving the guy a lifestyle answer, I’m giving him a good answer on how to lose weight by July, which was his question.

Having said that, yes, I still think that for a lot of people reducing carbs long term is a good idea. It might not be possible to just eat meat forever, but the less the better.

[/quote]

You didn’t read the whole thread. The OP later said he was more interested in a lifestyle change, and that he could stand to lose 70 pounds. I think you missed that post.

I’m curious about your case. You said you lost 35 lbs last year just by walking. You also said you need to lose that much weight now, which leads me to believe you’ve gained 35 lbs again. So in the course of 12ish months, you lost 35 lbs and gained it all back, and didn’t manipulate your diet? Does that mean you walked for 6 months and stopped walking?

Also, do you eat 8000 calories per day? I don’t believe the OP can continue to eat 8000 calories per day and lose 35 lbs per day by walking. Maybe if he was closer to 400 lbs than 300 lbs that would be in the realm of possibilities. How much do you weigh?

[quote]rusty92 wrote:

[quote]tylerkeen42 wrote:

[quote]rusty92 wrote:

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:
Which fed has a 264? Isn’t it 242, 275, (308), shw?
[/quote]

IPF has 105kg, 120kg, 120kg+, so that’s 231, 264, 264+ in your silly American weights [/quote]
Yea well at least we measure in weight! Once we get powerlifting on the moon, all those kilo records are gonna be gone. But Merica’s good ol’ pound records will still be competitive! :P[/quote]

I believe, although I’m happy to be educated, that the lb is defined and was introduced/agreed upon as 0.454kg…so not sure how this will make it any different from the kg when we get our moon powerlifting going on?[/quote]

A kilogram is not actually a measurement of weight, but a measurement of mass. A pound is a unit of force, like a Newton. So while that conversion is correct in earth’s gravity once you get to the moon 1000 kg is less than 365 pounds.

Mainly though that post was just a flag waving American making a bad joke lol Idk why we’re still having to remember that there’s 5280 feet in a mile -_-

Quick update after 1 week after diet modification
Body weight down 8 pounds still getting stronger hopefully it will keep going…

[quote]Big Al 1983 wrote:
Quick update after 1 week after diet modification
Body weight down 8 pounds still getting stronger hopefully it will keep going…[/quote]

I’m not sure how much of that is water weight but it would probably be best to slow the cut down a bit. IMO, you should add calories back in and only cut around 500-1000 calories from your baseline to shoot for 1-2 pounds a week and make weekly adjustments from there. Think long term. At the rate you’re currently going, you’ll likely feel a drop in strength within a week or two (depends how demanding your program is). Learning to make small tweaks for small changes in weight will come in handy in the future as well.

I think a lot is water weight - I have only dropped around 1000 calories by cleaning up my diet i.e. eating a lot but cutting the junk food and carbs slightly. I’ll keep updating weekly hoping to keep it around 2 pounds per week and hopefully keep the strength going

Thanks

Al

Saw in your log you do rowing -try some of these a couple times a week…

Longer term, I would consider getting on a higher volume routine also

[quote]If you’re currently eating 8000 calories a day to maintain your weight, dropping to 3500 calories immediately is absolutely the wrong approach. And I wouldn’t remove much protein from your diet.

I would simply cut the pre-bed meal. That will drop you to between 75 and 80% of your current maintenance calorie level. If you’re truly eating 8000 calories everyday, see how far you can get by dropping to 6000. You should be able to maintain strength levels, and see bodyfat drop substantially if you’re consistent with it. If you see your scale weight level off for a week or 2, you can adjust your calories from there.

The post-training meal would be the next meal I would overhaul, but I would wait on that until the first approach stops working. But when that happens, I would reduce the fat in that meal substantially. Like basically to zero. Change it to either chicken and rice, or some kind of shake like Plazma. If you can’t get Plazma, try to get a similar protein to carb ratio as Plazma, or Surge Recovery. Basically 2:1 carbs to protein. This will give your dieting a huge boost, and take you very close to where you want to be, I believe.[/quote]

I’m one of those few people that has probably succeeded at this long term (I dropped >100lbs in well over a year or maybe 2 starting about 4-5 years ago, and have done it in a way that I believe it could be permanent, I eat all i want and maintain it now, actually still very slowely getting leaner, I could stand to loose a little more but have currently decided that I would be quite happy with my weight if I can just slowly turn it into more muscle mass (and that’s what I’ve been doing for the last maybe 3 years, I’ve been getting steadily stronger, narrower waist and bigger chest while only dropping another ~10-20lbs in the last few years).

That said, I’ve had a few people ask me for help to do the same, and I’ve run into the same problem more than once (and am currently dealing with it again): I ask them to log what they’re eating and doing before we change anything, and they grab an app like myfitnesspal and it tells them “you should be eating x calories” and they immediately start trying to do that rather than figuring out what they were eating and adjusting gradually.

You think you’re giving them a week or so to figure out what they’re eating and doing, and in the mean time they’ve done something like cut half their caloric intake. They’re proud of themselves they loose a few lbs, you don’t want to discourage them so you let it go… and 2 or 3 weeks later they stop loosing weight, their body/metabolism rebels…

How do you fix it at that point? Not only have they done something at an unrealistic rate, but they’ve already adjusted to something that they can’t maintain long term.

Just a quick update 6 weeks in to the diet:
Mainly eating less carbs apart from before training I have been using Plazma and I love it!

start weight 298 pounds
weight today 281 pounds

lower body lifts still increasing, upper body have all but stalled but that is to be expected. Decided to set my initial goal weight for 264 then a longer term goal of 242

Nice work! If the lower body lifts eventually stall, an option you can take is to gain a few pounds back over a few weeks to boost recovery and then get back into dieting again. Keep it up.

Cheers mate - stalled a bit on deads today missed my reps trying for 5 at 485 but only got 3. Cant expect to get PR’s every workout I suppose!!

Cheers mate - stalled a bit on deads today missed my reps trying for 5 at 485 but only got 3. Cant expect to get PR’s every workout I suppose!![/quote]

Yeah, don’t get too greedy with the gains when you’re on a cut, lol. Better to make small gains at a time than push too hard and start going backwards. There’s less room for error when on a cut.

had a reefed over the weekend, a couple of pounds up on the scale but the gains are back for now! Thinking of putting in a reefed say every 10 days to stop stagnation but keep the weight loss going

had a reefed over the weekend, a couple of pounds up on the scale but the gains are back for now! Thinking of putting in a reefed say every 10 days to stop stagnation but keep the weight loss going[/quote]

You’re doing fine. Refeed is ok, just really encourage you not to refeed unless you really, reaaaaally need it. The reason is that it re-customizes your tastebuds to shitty food, and that is one thing you really want to kill.

Frankly, you are not likely to get lean enough to really need a re-feed. It won’t hurt too much, just be careful with them.

Training wise, any PRs on a diet are good. Work on adding volume and conditioning finishers rather than cutting calories first–it both keeps you from being hungry and helps out with overall caloric expenditure. And it helps conditioning for lifts. It’s a win-win-win.

Expect your upper body lifts to stall or decrease, this is normal. If your lifts stay within 90% of your current maxes then it is safe to assume that the loss of “strength” is actually loss of intramuscular water and the resulting tension that helps you with the movement. Same reason people bloat up on purpose after making weight (I mean outside of simply rehydrating).

That isn’t real strength loss, even though it is very frustrating.

Quick weight loss update:

7 weeks to go until meet Starting weight 298lbs current weight 270lbs 28lbs down - 6lbs to go.

strength is doing ok got 440lb deadlift for 12 reps yesterday

Quick weight loss update:

7 weeks to go until meet Starting weight 298lbs current weight 270lbs 28lbs down - 6lbs to go.

strength is doing ok got 440lb deadlift for 12 reps yesterday[/quote]

That’s awesome, you made great progress. You have a couple options now:

1. Don’t worry about cutting anymore weight. Do a small water cut to lose the rest prior to weigh-in. Take this time to get a bit stronger while maintaining weight. After the meet you can continue making the cut down to 242. This will give you a break from cutting as well.
  2. Continue cutting if you feel like there is no impact on strength and you’re able to maintain strength or get stronger. This is easier if you still have a lot of fat to lose.

I would personally go with option 1 but it really depends on your goals. If you’re doing this meet for fun and body weight/composition is more important in the short term then option 2 might be better. Regardless, you’ve set yourself up well for whatever step you take next.

Thanks mate! Another 3 lbs down so only 3 to go. The game changer is that im now getting married in august so the plan is to try and maintain strength and muscle but keep dropping the fat at a sensible rate until I hit target. The meet is a novice meet just to get the experience under my belt so I’ve changed my goals a little.

I’ll keep updating on my progress

I don’t wanna sound sarcastic but I had colonic irrigation and that took nearly 7 kilos out of me in one sitting. I’m 132 kilos and 6f6. I have to assume heavyweights might have plenty of “excess” sat there that could be shifted like that.

Thanks mate! Another 3 lbs down so only 3 to go. The game changer is that im now getting married in august so the plan is to try and maintain strength and muscle but keep dropping the fat at a sensible rate until I hit target. The meet is a novice meet just to get the experience under my belt so I’ve changed my goals a little.

I’ll keep updating on my progress[/quote]

Nice work and good job staying committed to the plan. Life stresses can have an impact but at least maintaining through that period is better than regressing.