T Nation

Neck Workouts

Does your neck grow along with your traps?

I’ve done some neck workouts by placing plates on top/side/back of your head and doing reps using your neck from there. How effective is this though?
(I got this from abcbodybuilding.com)

Thanks.

Ummm yea dont do that its kind of uncomfortable. I think the th gretest way to build up the neck is to have a partner apply pressure with his hand on your neck…not alot but enogugh so it makes you work.

Do 20 reps for each position

up, down, left, right

I know for a fact this can promot strength and growth, i did this in wreslting and it really does help.

Though… no pain, no gain right :wink:

I don’t understand how you would do that – how should the partner be applying pressure to your neck?

[quote]dmitry wrote:
Though… no pain, no gain right :wink:

I don’t understand how you would do that – how should the partner be applying pressure to your neck?
[/quote]

I think he means the head. Or you can do head bridges or as the powerlifters (look at their necks!) neck harnesses.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
Ummm yea dont do that its kind of uncomfortable. I think the th gretest way to build up the neck is to have a partner apply pressure with his hand on your neck…not alot but enogugh so it makes you work.

Do 20 reps for each position

up, down, left, right

I know for a fact this can promot strength and growth, i did this in wreslting and it really does help.[/quote]

I tried this too w/ a teammate who played football at West Point(no derogatory remarks please). I could barely move my head the next day. Lay down on a freeweight bench with your head hanging over in each position (up,down,left,right) Your objective is too push up, for example, while he is putting pressure against you. We did a 5 count up.

Neck bridges are awesome too. Good strengthening tool boxers use. Check out some rossboxing or rosstraining…

Someone pleas explain neck-bridges to me!

I never really could get the hang of neck bridges, i guess i never really noticed any improvment when doing them.

But anyway check this out it shows you how to do the bridge and neck harnis…

www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym15.htm