Neck Training

It seems like neck training can be pretty helpful even to people who don’t participate in a contact sport. However, I know very little about neck training aside from what’s written in the article Stick Your Neck Out by Nick Tumminello.

Is anyone currently doing neck training? What exercises and methods do you use, when do you train your neck (eg. at end of training, on off days, etc.), and how often?

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/the_yoke.htm

I use my neck harness sometimes. The thought of using a machine for my neck doesn’t sit well with me.

i do my neck harness after bench days so 2x a week, total of 100 reps, and i do shrugs and lots of back work

It seems like neck harnesses are fairly popular, and I’ll have to consider getting one.

Also, has anyone tried wresler’s bridges or any other exercises where you support your bodyweight using your neck such as some of the ones in this article?

[quote]Benway wrote:
It seems like neck training can be pretty helpful even to people who don’t participate in a contact sport. However, I know very little about neck training aside from what’s written in the article Stick Your Neck Out by Nick Tumminello.

Is anyone currently doing neck training? What exercises and methods do you use, when do you train your neck (eg. at end of training, on off days, etc.), and how often?[/quote]

I started training my neck seriously about 6 months ago. I started with bridges, but I don’t do them anymore because it seemed like I was always hurting myself. I’ve tried basically every method in that article, but the best results I’ve gotten have been from just hanging my head off the end of a bench and putting a plate on my forehead. I started with no weight and have worked my way up to a 35lb plate. I just fit them in any time I can. I kept a few plates under my bed and just did them every night. I try to get 100 reps every other day, usually 5 sets of 20. When I first started, I tried to get 100 reps every day. You will progress very quickly in both strength and size. I’ve put about 2 inches on my neck in 6 months. The problem I’m having is that it’s hard to hold much more than a 35 lb plate on your forehead. Shrugs on a standing calf machine also worked well.

Thanks krozewicz, that’s some really helpful advice.
Do you do any extension (like with a neck harness) or lateral flexion/extension?

I do neck work on my Accessory day. I like doing the nautilus 4-Way Neck Machine, I normally do 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps with all 4 sides of my neck. And I also do alot of shrug work on my bench days as well.

[quote]Benway wrote:
Thanks krozewicz, that’s some really helpful advice.
Do you do any extension (like with a neck harness) or lateral flexion/extension?[/quote]

I’m looking for a harness right now. I was going to buy the Elite harness, but it’s backordered until mid November. I’m thinking of the Spud harness now. I don’t think I’ll be able to progress much without a harness since I can’t hold much more than 35 lbs on my forehead.

I did a lot of lateral extensions when I first started, but I don’t feel I ever got much out of it. But I mostly used bands to do it. A 4 way neck machine probably works better.