Neck Training: Front and Back Only?

You must be in Aberdeen.

I’m East River too but have lived out West a few times and really love it out there!

By the way, at what point did the traps stop being a part of the neck?

If you are doing ANY of the exercises that I listed correctly with a straight spine and proper breathing mechanics, then you will absolutely strengthen the neck. Yes, even push-ups and hill sprints. But if you read my post again, you’ll realize that I am advocating really specific exercises and doing all of those exercises TOGETHER (even though @jshaving did such a nice job of splitting my post apart to scruntinize it all out of context) to build 360 degrees of a strong stable neck, as well as 360 degrees of a strong thoracic spine, hips, legs, etc, top to bottom, inside and out.

If you have any concerns, as @jshaving mentioned, throw in 10 min of easy going neck work at the end of your sessions. But no trainee worth their salt is going to even consider for a second strapping 300 pounds on a neck harness. Total nonsense and very dangerous advice. And I absolutely disagree that doing “big” exercises alone will do very little for having a strong neck, and I any trainer or trainee worth their salt would also disagree. Anyone who says that obviously hasn’t gotten strong at Zercher deadlifts, double kettlebell cleans, farmer carries, single arm pressing, etc.

I’m not advocating anything new. One of Dan John’s core tenants puts it simply, “The body is one piece.”

You’re question was answered many posts ago.

A one piece so the work of neck after the poly exercices it is not a bad idea, for a long time wrestler and so on training the neck and they can still walk, just for the harness I was not sure if it is good or not

FWIW, this was my point. I was not at all advocating that he do this.

I don’t really care how this debate goes, because in the end I’m really agreeing with a lot of what you’re saying, but one final question specifically for you: do you think Wendler knows what he’s talking about? You keep mentioning trainers who are worth their salt. He recommends adding direct neck work to already balanced programs. Is this wrong?

Btw, mind if I ask where West River you lived? I’ve got family scattered around out there.

tell this to every wrestler/contact sport player ever

*Not saying the exercises you listed are bad but wrestlers do neck bridges for a reason

1 Like

Thank for all of ur advice agai, jshaving it is not the first time that u help me, good mentality in this forum I like it
Hope I will get a decent level and knowledge and give back also what I learn here ou whatever where

1 Like

Not a prob dude, I’m just spitting back out what I’ve heard people stronger than me say. Best of luck.

This was actually how I opened. I’m not denying the use of extra neck training. If this man is a wrestler he should do neck bridges, and probably already is. Front, back & side.

My baseline approach is to make sure certain exercises that strengthen all the muscles of the neck and breathing apparatus are being done. Zerchers are done with a packed neck and t-spine held isometrically and requires bracing of the core and total control of breathing apparatus. Zerchers will also improve many other functions of your body, which if you’re a wrestler who is spending most of his time wrestling, it’s good to have a catch-all exercise like that, consider it a gem. I believe Tate uses Zerchers specifically when training wrestlers. These exercises also improve ability to take force, which a strong neck is particularly useful for.

Double kettlebell cleans and hill sprints will accomplish this, and you will be hard to knock over. Farmer carries are great for this as well, as I mentioned. If you are a wrestler, do lots of bridges and tumbling and crawling and wrestling (which you are already doing).

@jshaving :
You mentioned compound exercises not training the specific movements of the neck, but perhaps the neck needn’t be move repetitiously in those patterns just cause it’s able to. Neck is probably trained in the safest manner by isometrics.

The line of mine you quoted was directed towards this comment:

I’m saying, the basics WILL NOT do “very little”.

It’s why we do the basics.

I encourage anyone to try a single arm kettlebell press done 30-10-30 style. Great catch all and neck/spine strengthener. You could almost do this exclusively for upper body training.

Neck is probably trained in the safest manner by isometrics

They don’t

For wrestling it is sure that it is not only isometrics

Oh for sure, Tyson is fucking badass.
Tyson and Mayweather don’t do things because they’re safe, I think we can all agree.

Also, I didn’t say “only” isometrics should be done, I’m saying they are going to be the safest across the board. I agree, it is sure that it is not only isometrics for wrestlers.

What u say and what they say is in the same line, if u work ur neck slow and correctly what problem can u get? If we start to think like that we need to stop gym no? A lot of exercises are dangerous or even bad for a lot of person why we just don’t swimming for to have a good condition or yoga and so on

Almost any weighted movement can or will injure you. If you get hurt training, that’s counterproductive; the threat is always there, so at least minimize it if we want to continue training.

Neck harness is a high risk exercise. You can still choose to do them and benefit from them.

I read more and the risk that I take with the neck it’s not worth the effort, so i will try to find a bodyweight exercice without risk
What do u suggest that I can add on my full body, u give some exerices but I can’t add all of them so what did u suggest “more”

Power clean and arm kettel belt are good?
What do u thing by just curl neck without weight side/front/back thank

Zercher lifts are at the top of my list.

One-arm kettlebell press with SLOW eccentric, 30 seconds eccentric, 10 reps, then another 30 seconds eccentric, then switch sides.

Sternum pull-ups and kettlebell snatches will pretty much fill in any gaps.

Neck flexion/neck extension are a lot easier to add on to the end of a fight training session than heavy squats and deadlifts. I would schedule heavy lifts for another day, so they still have their place.

I just do 50 flexion/extension off my bed lately. I haven’t been doing the sides though, but I probably should I guess.

Noticed any changes?

I have a long beard, so I couldn’t see if there were. But I’m gonna go clean shaven after this pandemic, so I dont wanna go in pencil necked.

2 Likes

Ahaha