Neck Training Advice?

I’m like you, I tried some of those exercises and definitely feel them. The problem I had was that my mind begins to wander when doing the full 90 second TSC. And, for the last 30 seconds at 100% effort they feel a bit different than when I’m contracting against an immovable object. It would be interesting to try them for awhile and then go back and do a conventional exercise to see if there were any strength increases.

No! After many years in the health care field, my patience with foolishness is not what it once was.
Now, I would only train freak athletes, or extreme body composition changes for those I chose!

Although I like the advice on neck training generated at Rogers Athletic, I see no reason why a standing position is not equal to a seated position in terms of effectiveness. RA states the seated position is best for neck training. I have found a standing position works well for neck training during isometrics.

Furthermore, neck lateral flexion is not a natural movement. No one tries to touch their ear to their
collarbone. Rather, there is a slight downward head rotation as the head is tilted laterally. This movement pattern can easily be copied and incorporated into isometric neck flexion using resistance bands.
Strong neck muscles, especially the neck scalenes, help with breathing thus improving endurance training. Blood flow to the brain is also improved.

2 Likes

Jaw isometrics can face lift an old jaw line.
Be careful when closing the jaw as the jaw muscles are weak eccentrically

1 Like

AJ would would have some choice words about this. I call it silly.

Arthur Jones was years ahead of any other information on the training of the neck. Might I add that 3 dedicated Nautilus machines were created, and the use of electronic scanning infrared cameras displayed Arthur Jones was the tip of the spear in athletic neck conditioning.
Today, much like Arthur Jones of yesteryear, Rogers Athletic leads in information about athletic neck conditioning.

The above picture that was critiqued was accompanied by these remarks.

Quote:

Injuries to the mouth, face and jaw are part of sport. Having a strong jaw helps in bracing, clenching against a mouth guard, and resisting the pull of the chin strap in helmets. Injured masseter muscles, strained temporalis, pterygoids, digastrics all must be rehabilitated and strengthened when damaged.

End quote

Arthur Jones definitely does not get the credit he deserves when it comes to rehabilitation exercise machines and machines that strengthen the neck and back muscles…i.e. neck machines, hip/back machine, medx equipment…he should should get some get some kind of an award if he never got one…nobel prize or something

I like using the neck harness. Other ways I have trained the neck are using a Swiss ball against a wall to do front, back, side, and rotational neck twists. I do the movements slow and really try to contract the muscles as hard as I can. Another one I have used for my son for rec/middle school football is Josh Bryant’s bodyweight neck routine. It is suppose to be a popular routine with the high level BJJ crowd.

For the neck I am going to start incorporating standing resistance band lateral isometrics, alternating with neck flexion & extension. I realized lateral isometrics can be done from a neutral position, thus eliminating any blood occlusion effects full lateral neck contractions might provoke.

Interestingly, when exercising the trapezius with shrugs, it is important to note the chin will naturally lower in a protective manner. Still the upper trapezius needs a different technique.

I found a static hold of around 60 secs, to play on the safe side, of my neck harness once weekly, and I saw visible results within a month.

@ dynasty,

That is wonderful!
I utilize a few degrees of movement in my static neck program.
Furthermore, because of neck muscle function redundancy, one neck movement per workout works well for me. No need to incorporate all planes of neck movement in a singular workout.

Since I do not currently participate in competitive contact sports, I can get by with statics. However, if I did play football, I would get several RA machines.

1 Like

Dr Darden
What neck harness do you redommend?
Thank you.

I’m sure there are some good ones available, but I’m not familiar with any name brands. Some of the forum readers will have to help you.

Just used this for my lateral isometric neck contractions

`

`

I bought a neck harness recently. I got one called the Neck Flex (Original Version), which was fairly expensive @ $90.

Note first that there are a lot of cheap neck harnesses available online, for half to a quarter of what I paid. I opted for this more expensive version because it had D ring connectors mounted on the front and back, as well as the sides. Most of the cheaper ones have the D-rings attached to ear flaps which hang down on either side, and are meant for attaching weight plates primarily for neck extension. I thought that the mounting locations on the neck flex would work better with bands, and give me more exercise options. Plus I don’t mind paying more for something like this, if it means better quality.

It is well padded, can be adjusted to fit my head well, and I’m happy with it. Still figuring out the best ways to rig up the resistance bands.

Even if you decide this is out of your price range, take a look at the instructional videos and advice they have on their site.

can u show me please ur stuff, thank, i have a basic neck harness for the moment, and i work the front of my neck differently, i only work personnally the front and the back, i will see if is enough for get a good size

I have had noticeable results just by doing time static contractions against my hands. I was quite surprised. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis so have to be careful with neck training

Not sure who your question was aimed at. Here is a video showing the Neck Flex.

Yes did u have a link, i want buy this harness, thank