T Nation

Neck Issues

Every now and again I wake up with a stiff neck, it’s a pain in the ass (or neck) but usually goes away in a day or two. This week I had similar symptoms (stiff neck, limited mobility) but it has gotten a progressively worse. The pain is less stiffness and more acute than usual, to add to that it has localized somewhat in my arm. This suggests a herniated cervical disc. If it doesn’t get better on it’s own by next week I’ll seek a doctor’s assistance…but any advice would be helpful. Here is what I am doing:

1. rest
  2. sleeping w/ 1 pillow and flat
  3. heat
  4. lots of advil

Anyone know of a resource w/ rehab advice? or better yet preventative exercizes, i want to get rid of this once and for all.

The Weakest Link by Don Alessi

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459910

[quote]mdamon wrote:
Every now and again I wake up with a stiff neck, it’s a pain in the ass (or neck) but usually goes away in a day or two. This week I had similar symptoms (stiff neck, limited mobility) but it has gotten a progressively worse. The pain is less stiffness and more acute than usual, to add to that it has localized somewhat in my arm. This suggests a herniated cervical disc. If it doesn’t get better on it’s own by next week I’ll seek a doctor’s assistance…but any advice would be helpful. Here is what I am doing:

1. rest
  2. sleeping w/ 1 pillow and flat
  3. heat
  4. lots of advil

Anyone know of a resource w/ rehab advice? or better yet preventative exercizes, i want to get rid of this once and for all.[/quote]

Neanderthal no more series.
Sleep on your back (try no pillow).
Stretch.
Don’t take any nsaids–they can be helpful in reducing imflamation/swelling, but only work effectly for around 2 weeks and should only be used for accute injuries, whereas yours is chronic. Strecth and correct your muscle imbalances now, your body will thank you for the rest of your life.