T Nation

Neck Injury from Neck Crank...How to Heal it Up?

A few weeks ago, my dumb-ass got got caught in a solid neck crank, and I probably fought it longer than I should.

However…now I can’t get the thing to heal up and stop being sore. I’ve tried heat, ice, and rubbing everything medicinal on it I have. It’s not worth going to the doctor over…just a nagging issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

nagging issues become chronic problems…gnome sain?

i had the same thing heppen recently…

bascially, google neck mobility exercises, and start doing those daily. also, i’d suggest at least seeing a chriopractor and having them check it out…

mine’s getting better, but i’m always gonna make sure to do neck work, if nothing else than just to warm up it prior to rolling.

good luck.

Where are you rolling that they do neck cranks in practice for taps?

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Where are you rolling that they do neck cranks in practice for taps?[/quote]

Probably an MMA gym…the place I go to train mma has the most brutal style of submissions, catch wrestling style from neck cranks to heel hooks to knee bars from beginner on up…

…always got to watch your ass if you’re going easy with someone less experienced than you as you never know if they might whip out a heel hook and rip it as hard as they can because they don’t know any better.

I experienced my first neck crank there…I was like, ‘what is he trying to do?’ next thing I know there’s a popping sound coming from my neck.

CSW? I wish I lived nearby. That place is incredible.

I have no problem with neck cranks. Then again, I’m not afraid of tapping.

I’m more pissed off with newbie spaz head locks. Those really piss me off. I know all the escapes, but they hurt the neck getting out of them.

I used to be a spaz newbie who head locked, too, so I try to be cool. But after they keep doing that shit and don’t get the point, it’s cross-faces and all the other “attacking the guard” type of shit I learned at a CSW seminar.

If you have Jumpstretch bands look up Dick Harzell on youtube. Always worked for me.

[quote]Phil-SC wrote:
A few weeks ago, my dumb-ass got got caught in a solid neck crank, and I probably fought it longer than I should.

However…now I can’t get the thing to heal up and stop being sore. I’ve tried heat, ice, and rubbing everything medicinal on it I have. It’s not worth doing to the doctor over…just a nagging issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. [/quote]

I had this happen to me once. Give it about a week or two of trigger point therapy and then just ignore it. Tap out next time.

This is why most guys don’t train past blue belt.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Where are you rolling that they do neck cranks in practice for taps?[/quote]

It was at a NAGA event in Atlanta…not in practice.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Does it hurt most when you turn to the right or the left?[/quote]

To the left.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Where are you rolling that they do neck cranks in practice for taps?

Probably an MMA gym…the place I go to train mma has the most brutal style of submissions, catch wrestling style from neck cranks to heel hooks to knee bars from beginner on up…

…always got to watch your ass if you’re going easy with someone less experienced than you as you never know if they might whip out a heel hook and rip it as hard as they can because they don’t know any better.

I experienced my first neck crank there…I was like, ‘what is he trying to do?’ next thing I know there’s a popping sound coming from my neck.[/quote].

= = = =
That’s what happened to me. I was attempting an escape, then I felt an arm around my neck, and I was thinking the same thing “what’s he up to”, then pop, pop, pop…

Get some ART

[quote]BobbyOrr wrote:
Get some ART[/quote]

==== Thanks Bobby Orr, I’ll check it out.

Phil Orr (in SC)