T Nation

Neck/Back/Shoulder Issue

Ok I have had this problem for pretty much a year.

I have spent a lot of time stretching my shoulders & doing rotator cuff/rear delt exercises.

Main issues:
[u]1. Left Upper back[/u] -
Crazy amounts of tingling, flares up the most during shrugs, power shrugs, muscle hang cleans.

When im not doing anything and just sitting there, it feels like someone has a TENS machine there on a low pulse. Or as if a huge spider is resting there.

It drives me crazy.

2. Right medial delt/rear delt/trap -
Burning sensation, comes and goes. Is at worst when lying down and after long periods of forward head posture.

Rear delt area clicks very loudly on the eccentric portion of a chin up, not sure if that is related.

3. Neck, right side -
Significantly tighter compared to the left side. Cricks often. If I have my head turned to the left for longer than 30 seconds, the right side of my neck and my right trap cramps up and throbs.

Possible cause:
18 months ago I used to carry sandbags around on my right shoulder/trap working at a construction site. Over the course of 2 months I couldn’t hold them up there anymore without my trap straining and hurting.

I spend lots of time on the computer with less than perfect posture.

Other notes:
I am most comfortable when both of my arms are up above my head.

I know I’m fucked up. I haven’t trained properly in a year due to this. I’ve been back training seriously for almost 3 weeks now, and the symptoms are starting to piss me off again.

The burning pain is bearable, I have a high pain threshold (example: I can drop a 35kg dumbbell on my big toe and not even wince - this happened the other day actually :frowning: ) and it usually doesn’t effect my training, it just annoys me and gives me lots of discomfort outside of training.

The tingling sensation can get pretty intense, and really affects my concentration in shrugs/clean movements.

I am not going to stop training again, I stopped for 3 months and that didn’t help at all.

So what I’m asking everyone is this:
What professional person should I seek out? Sports Therapist? Chiropractor?

I don’t have a lot of money and don’t want to fuck around, I want someone that knows their shit.

What can I do to alleviate or suppress my symptoms?

I know I can’t get this fixed immediately, but I would like to to get to a stage where I don’t get stressed out from being uncomfortable all the time.

Thank you to anyone that read my post, and I will highly appreciate any advice and will check this thread frequently.

I can totally relate to the 1st issue as the symptoms you describe I felt EXACTLY for about a year and that feeling would drive me crazy.I would always do a lot of neck training but stopped after I pinched a nerve in my neck that started causing some serious issues with my bench.

My friend had a neck traction machine and a Shiatsu Kneading neck massager that he had gotten from a chiropractor and let me use and after about a week of using them my nerve issues had pretty much cleared up.

[quote]m.montoya wrote:
I can totally relate to the 1st issue as the symptoms you describe I felt EXACTLY for about a year and that feeling would drive me crazy.I would always do a lot of neck training but stopped after I pinched a nerve in my neck that started causing some serious issues with my bench.My friend had a neck traction machine and a Shiatsu Kneading neck massager that he had gotten from a chiropractor and let me use and after about a week of using them my nerve issues had pretty much cleared up.[/quote]

Interesting, i’ll have to look up those two machines - or see the chiropractor again.

Right now I’m using a TENS machine on my left upper back and right trap/rear delt, i’m debating whether or not to use it on my neck.