Nebraska's Strongest Man

OK so its a ways away but im taking the step and signing up for my first strongman comp this summer. Plan to do this hopefully one more strongman as well as a few PLing comps starting around April.

Just wanting to throw up the info for this event. Its for a hell of a cause, and to see if any other T-Men have the marbles to step up and join me in well either making a fool out of myself, doing OK, or kicking ass. To be seen. Either way Im going to step the hell up and have a blast and help some kids along the way and build some memories. Also have to start somewhere its time to put a tangible date on something.

hers is link to the info the entry form etc.
http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/upcoming/upcoming_item.asp?UpcomingID=56

This one goes straight to the entry form
http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/20070714dj.pdf

Ill give the basics

Date: July 14th

Looks to be a 12 hour prior weigh in and the morning of prior to rules.

Divisions: Open Mens, Masters

Weight Classes: LW = up to 200
MW = 201-265
HW = 266+

Events:
-Tire Flip 60’
-Max. 12" Log press - Wessel’s rule
Farmers walk for distance turns every 60’
-Yoke, 60’

• Truck Pull (harness)
    find the detail in the link and entry form

Entry fee: $50
Deadline July, 7th

The contest is going to benefit Camp CoHoLo, a local camp for children, ages 6-17, with cancer or a blood disorder.

Upon contacting the promoter D.J. Satterfield I got the following reply and seems like a hell of a guy passing any info and answering any questions.

“This will not be a real heavy show, just moderate in comparison to others. A good one for a first time competitor. It will be held in downtown Papillion, NE at the American Legion Post #32.”

So come on out you all. Have some fun lift, drag and carry some heavy shit, help out some kids. etc…

Hope to see a few of you behind me in the standings,
Phill

I’m from that area, but will have to drive up from Texas to do it. Regardless, I’ll take a stab at it with you. $50 to beat the crap out of myself for the benefit of some kids sounds like a bargain.

Thanks for posting this event.

Hey, Thanks for posting. I never would have known otherwise.

I think that this is something I am going to go and I only live 10 min away so I don’t have a real excuse not to attend.

SWEET see you all there Ill post the others in the area I decide to do as well.

theres one this weekend in Kansas City I may try and go watch bit late to sign up and more in the area coming up.

let try and make a heck of a showing I just figure hell its time for me anyway to put up ior shut up put the training to use have some fun and maybe try and win a little platic trophy with tons of memories.

Phill

I’ve been priveledged to train with DJ and he is one heck of a guy. He’s strong as all get out too.

I might just try to get out to Papillion this summer and do this show too, although I’m too heavy for the lightweights and too weak overhead for the middleweights! (Not to say I’m strong compared to the lightweights… those guys are tough.)

Phil,

Did you go out to that meet at McPherson a month or two back?

[quote]conorh wrote:
I’ve been priveledged to train with DJ and he is one heck of a guy. He’s strong as all get out too.

I might just try to get out to Papillion this summer and do this show too, although I’m too heavy for the lightweights and too weak overhead for the middleweights! (Not to say I’m strong compared to the lightweights… those guys are tough.)[/quote]

Yes been emailing damn near non stop with DJ since contacting him about this event seems like a hell of a stnd up guy and from what I understand won the light middle weights Nationals last year.

No worries bro bring it on Im just hoping to make an effort on the OH pressing at this point. Thats another reason I chose this meet the time I have to prepare. I blew my shoulder pretty bad about a month and half ago couldnt even lift my bare arm above chest hieght.

Im now able to Bench again no pain pretty much. and hitting light weight OH DBs for tons of reps and hit the BB OH Press the first timne yesterday. Let just say bit wasnt pretty but Im looking to make progress every week and just dio what I can.

Hopefully by then I will be able to put up enough to not look like an idoit but if no call me the idiot that had the marbles or stupidity to stand the hell up and compete.

Oh and my fat ass has to go against the middle weights as well.

Phill

[quote]conorh wrote:
Phil,

Did you go out to that meet at McPherson a month or two back? [/quote]
No bro didnt I just got back here to Kansas a little almost a month ago. missed that one. There is one In Kansas City this weekend and a few more coming. Big one Pro Am in Saline in March.

The weights look very doable and with no stones event, it looks like a great competition for beginners. It’s a little bit of a drive for me, but I may do it. I’ll have to figure things out as I get closer to July.

Thanks for all the interest guys. I am planning on the contest being a real good time. We have a lot of things planned in addition to the contest. If anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to post them or email me.
I made the weights just middle of the road, heavy enough but yet very doable for someone just starting out.
I have to laugh at you guys talking about your crappy overhead presses as that is by far my worst event, I think they should outlaw the log press, ha ha.
Also, just to clarify and not get anyone upset, I won the Master’s Lightweight Nationals, not the open one.
Once again, thanks for all the positive feedback and I hope to see you all in July.
D.J.

I wouldn’t be able to any competitions involving overhead shit which sucks I would love to enter this

Just remember, the log only weighs 105# empty, so that could be your opener. Something to keep in mind if you want to compete.
D.J.

[quote]DJlifter wrote:
Just remember, the log only weighs 105# empty, so that could be your opener. Something to keep in mind if you want to compete.
D.J.[/quote]

Hell no worries then even I can handle that :slight_smile: lol

Phill

This will be my first event like this. How many flips of the tire does it typically take to hit 60 feet? How wide is the tire?

Thanks.

Typically, it will take about 8 flips to make the 60ft.
The tire width will depend on which weight class you are in. Most of them stand about 6’ tall and are about 24" wide. These are just approximations, all tires differ but this is close to what we will be using.
D.J.

It will take about 8 flips to make the 60’.
The tires are around 6’ tall and 24" wide. These are just approximations as each tire differs from one another but ours will be close to this.
D.J.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but the Entry Form list the LW Farmers walk @ 210#., is that total weight or implement weight?

No such thing as a dumb question, that would be the total weight of each implement for each hand.
D.J.

Since you said there’s no stupid questions…

I’d fit into the middleweights, currently, and I have a 1RM dead of ~400 pounds. How does that relate to flipping a six hundred pound tire? I’ve never done that before, and a 600 pound tire is a bit out of my price range for a lark.

[quote]Crispyknight wrote:
Since you said there’s no stupid questions…

I’d fit into the middleweights, currently, and I have a 1RM dead of ~400 pounds. How does that relate to flipping a six hundred pound tire? I’ve never done that before, and a 600 pound tire is a bit out of my price range for a lark. [/quote]

go to heavy machinery place or tire place ask for used20.5r25 or 23.5r25 tires the first will prob put you near 600 the 2nd prob around 700 or more dependng on tread wear…they’re free