Nearby Pensacola Throws/Oly Lifting Coach

I’m looking for a throws (hammer, shot, discus) coach and an oly lifting coach near Pensacola, Florida.

Any chance any of you have connections to one?

While I’m at it I’m also looking for a gym that doesn’t have pillow-benches. My campus gym has benches that you literally sink into when you get on em’. Makes setting up and staying tight difficult to say the least.

I’m in P’cola, actually Gulf Breeze.

I can ask around about a throwing coach, don’t know any off the top of my head.

My gym is pretty kick ass, IMO, but like I said, I’m in GB so it may be a little bit of a drive for you. Let me know what part of town you’re in, maybe I can point you in a decent direction.

[quote]Flow wrote:
I’m looking for a throws (hammer, shot, discus) coach and an oly lifting coach near Pensacola, Florida.

While I’m at it I’m also looking for a gym that doesn’t have pillow-benches. My campus gym has benches that you literally sink into when you get on em’. Makes setting up and staying tight difficult to say the least.[/quote]

In PCola the only serious gym for PL is Powerhouse. There is another on 9 mile road that is pretty good (forgot the name) and the Omni Fitness is kinda of best of both worlds. Omni has good equipment but they discourage grunting and throwing plates around. I train there and do it anyway, it’s not a big deal. There is a trainer there who specializes in sports training that may be able to help you with your needs. I know he is a former major league BB but he may have contacts for ya. His name is Nate.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
I’m in P’cola, actually Gulf Breeze.

I can ask around about a throwing coach, don’t know any off the top of my head.

My gym is pretty kick ass, IMO, but like I said, I’m in GB so it may be a little bit of a drive for you. Let me know what part of town you’re in, maybe I can point you in a decent direction.[/quote]

I live in Gulf Breeze too. Do you train at Chip’s gym? I lift at UWF’s gym and it is nice and all but doesn’t have some things that would benefit a more athletic-minded crowd.

I’d appreciate any info you can offer. Thanks for your time!

[quote]hammertime2 wrote:
Flow wrote:

While I’m at it I’m also looking for a gym that doesn’t have pillow-benches. My campus gym has benches that you literally sink into when you get on em’. Makes setting up and staying tight difficult to say the least.

In PCola the only serious gym for PL is Powerhouse. There is another on 9 mile road that is pretty good (forgot the name) and the Omni Fitness is kinda of best of both worlds. Omni has good equipment but they discourage grunting and throwing plates around. I train there and do it anyway, it’s not a big deal. There is a trainer there who specializes in sports training that may be able to help you with your needs. I know he is a former major league BB but he may have contacts for ya. His name is Nate.[/quote]

I’ll make my way over to Powerhouse later this week.

I have actually heard of Nate. . . hmmmm now I have a few places to go to look.

Thanks for the post, hammertime2

Yep, I’m at Chips.

You’re not gonna get the eye candy you do at UWF but as far as liftin’ heavy weights, you can’t beat it. Chip’s been at it for a long time and has helped me immensely with my lifts.

He’s got a student deal, I’m not sure what it is exactly, but it’s reasonable.

Hell, swing on by and check it out. It can’t be too far out of your way.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
Yep, I’m at Chips.

You’re not gonna get the eye candy you do at UWF but as far as liftin’ heavy weights, you can’t beat it. Chip’s been at it for a long time and has helped me immensely with my lifts.

He’s got a student deal, I’m not sure what it is exactly, but it’s reasonable.

Hell, swing on by and check it out. It can’t be too far out of your way.[/quote]

Yeah, the eye candy is nice but mostly a distraction. I just want to lift heavier stuff.

I’ll check it out.

Bumping to try and get a bit more info.

Thanks again, mahwah and hammertime2

I don’t know any coaches that specialize in throwing or the oly lifts.

You may have to call around, maybe give API a shot, although that may be a bit pricey.

Are you trying to compete at the college level? Does UWF not have anyone?

What other info you looking for?

[quote]mahwah wrote:
I don’t know any coaches that specialize in throwing or the oly lifts.

You may have to call around, maybe give API a shot, although that may be a bit pricey.

Are you trying to compete at the college level? Does UWF not have anyone?

What other info you looking for? [/quote]

UWF doesn’t have a field team or any coaches skilled in that area. :frowning:

Yeah, I’ve been bugging API a lot. They know me by now.

An issue for me is cash (I guess that’s an issue for everyone, but even so). I’ll be getting my tax return soon, so I’ll be able to go over to Chips. Finally.

Bottom line is that right now I’m focusing on building a good basic level of strength. I’m not very strong atm. Far from where I should be. That said, I’m 19 and I have a lot of potential. I have long arms which would be good for throwing.

Also, I would love to compete in highland games one day. The best place for me to start right now, aside from getting strong in the gym lifts, is the throwing implements. I wouldn’t worry too much if I had to drive out to Mobile for coaching once or twice a week. I just want to get the ball rolling.

So, rambling aside, I’m looking for whatever info I can find really. I have a few great routes to take regarding getting much stronger, but I figured a bump to see if someone ran across this thread with connections to a throws coach seemed appropriate.

Technically speaking, I’m certified to coach throws. I drove up to Atlanta to get my USATF Level 1 coaching cert pretty recently. Certifications don’t mean anything, to be honest. I just know a few learning drills and I have an idea of what the throws should look like.