T Nation

Near Blackout Experience

So today I was getting back into deads and I’m training with high volume right now. So I was doing 225x10 off of a two plate platform so about 4". After my 5th set of 225x10 I finished with an immense throbbing in the back of my lower head, right were the back of the head meets the upper end of the back of the neck. This pain was an intense dull throb and I immediately dropped to one knee and took deep breaths and felt like passing out, but I refused to let myself. Its about 45mins later and I’m feeling better but I still feel a bit cloudy and “out of it”

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I think its just from a lack of oxygen to the brain during an intense workout.

Get your blood pressure checked by a professional. And a once over just to be sure. Don’t tell him/her you were working out hard because they might just tell you not lift so much. Better to be safe then sorry.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Get your blood pressure checked by a professional. And a once over just to be sure. Don’t tell him/her you were working out hard because they might just tell you not lift so much. Better to be safe then sorry.[/quote]

Agree. You shouldn’t be worrying about blacking out during training.

I’d also consider keeping the deadlift sets to lower reps.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I’d also consider keeping the deadlift sets to lower reps. [/quote]

X2

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:
I’d also consider keeping the deadlift sets to lower reps.

X2[/quote]

It’s where you’ll get the most of it.

I actually had the nearly same exact thing happen, went to the doctor and said I was in perfect medical condition. Went to the chiropractor and he fixed it, something in my upper back/neck area was just really outta whack.

This may or may not apply to you at all but with something semi-serious like this I think it is better to go get it checked out especially if it happens again.

(I also nearly blacked out during high volume squats once but I was eating 800 calories a day at that point, oh to be young and stupid)

[quote]Fill the Frame wrote:
So today I was getting back into deads and I’m training with high volume right now. So I was doing 225x10 off of a two plate platform so about 4". After my 5th set of 225x10 I finished with an immense throbbing in the back of my lower head, right were the back of the head meets the upper end of the back of the neck. This pain was an intense dull throb and I immediately dropped to one knee and took deep breaths and felt like passing out, but I refused to let myself. Its about 45mins later and I’m feeling better but I still feel a bit cloudy and “out of it”

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I think its just from a lack of oxygen to the brain during an intense workout. [/quote]

Holy crap I thought I was the only one that has that problem.

I have the exact same pain at the exact same location. The throbing in the back of the head thing will bring any guy to his knees I kid you not. But I have other things that come along with that. If I get it really bad, my legs go numb (like I had an EXTREME adrenaline rush), my abs tighten and I almost throw up.

Here is the kicker. That ONLY happens when I am doing barbell inclines. I have learned to anticipate it though, and I have to breathe really wierd to prolong it. I can only hold my breath for maybe 2-8 seconds.

I think we need to get checked out haha.

i almost blacked out doing front squats today, felt real shaky after my warmups and first set, finished my third and had to lay down.

on topic, yes i think you should revise doing deads, or do light until u find your groove.

I actualy did blackout once while working out in the gym. Last set of the day, a leg day, but it was the lightest one, only 650 lbs on atg squats. Last rep, i felt something in my neck, it started being painfull, felt like the bar on my traps started to lift by itself, like they were getting bigger. Something wrong with my quads also, they began to fill up, like grow to the point my pants we’re two sizez too small.
Last thing i know, i took a glance into the mirror and saw my veigns popping up and my skin turning green. After that i dont remember anything. I woke up in the forrest without clothing.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Get your blood pressure checked by a professional. And a once over just to be sure. Don’t tell him/her you were working out hard because they might just tell you not lift so much. Better to be safe then sorry.[/quote]

You should tell your doctor everything you were doing that led to the symptoms. Your doctor will use this info. to come up with a diagnosis. THEN, if they tell you to stop lifting heavy, you disregard, UNLESS the diagnosis they make is reason to stop lifting heavy.

Why does everyone dismiss doctors so easy on this board? You have no idea what is wrong (if anything) with this guy, so why give advice to dismiss a doctor’s advice?

Because most doctors don’t know shit about exercise. They will blindly tell you to stop lifting if you say you felt light-headed doing it.

I had this feeling once before on leg day, but im sure my problem was that i hadnt eaten much prior to that workout.

I’ve felt this before too, but only after heavy singles on deadlift. Our deadlift workout consists of a warmup set and 5x3 with weight getting higher each set. The 6th set is a heavy single. When my single is in the 500+ range, my vision blurs and hearing numbs for a few seconds after the lift.