Near 60, Realistic Goals? Advice

Hey all you fossilized boys and girls,

I’m nearing 60 and would like to know how realistic is it to start lifting and having expectations of moving some semi heavy poundages around. Any input on diet,supplements and training would help greatly.

Have you ever lifted?

If so how long since you did?

If not why are you wanting to pick up lifting?

I have worked out and taken supplements forever, and had people laugh at me.
About 1999 I was in an ER room and told I was 2 hours away from being dead. A week later they told me the reason I lived was due to the supplements, weights, and running & stairways work.

I am 72 years of age, and would be dead the 2nd time if not for the life I lead, and I never lifted 180 lbs. Do the best you can, and a little more, it works. And yes at 72, EVERYTHING works.

I’ve worked out over the years, but just got serious about weight lifting March of this year. Been at it all year and feel great. I’ve been using Rippetoe’s Starting Strength program and have seen consistent gains most of the year. I turned 60 last June, so don’t hesitate to get started.

[quote]Demo man wrote:
Hey all you fossilized boys and girls,

I’m nearing 60 and would like to know how realistic is it to start lifting and having expectations of moving some semi heavy poundages around. Any input on diet,supplements and training would help greatly.[/quote]

I understand your question.

I am 57 years old and did not start this game until I was 48 and have been going strong and hard since making gains.

It is realistic, however, in my opinion I would not make moving “some semi heavy poundages” my first priority if I were you for 2 reasons.

Correct me if the following is no longer true or accurate.

1. In your hub you state that you are 5"5" tall and weigh 290 lbs.
    Diet and fat loss should be your first priority.

2. Also you have been a member here since 2002.
    In that time you could have read this site from cover to cover and most certainly
    should have learned at least enough to address your question.

Wait…what?