ND Voter ID Law?

There are some people in this country that have very little. No argument from me. Your grandmother (does she not have ID?) is a part of a very small number of people that can’t afford to get an ID and, as I said earlier, I’d be more than happy to foot the bill to get her one.

It’s impossible to create a law that doesn’t affect someone negatively.

No she has an ID :laughing:

Although now she needs a new one to vote…

I was just using her as an example since I know others live in her same situation.

Lol, and see, that’s my point. She lives off very little; yet, she has an ID… Approximately 99% of the US population already has an ID.

It just seems like such a majoring in the minors sort of thing. I don’t honestly know how people function without IDs in this day and age anyway.

1 Like

Ask my cousin. He’s 20, lost his 3rd ID a couple months ago, as well as his Social Security card, and you can’t seem to get one without the other unless you want to go to spend a lot of time explaining things to people and filling out paperwork, which he doesn’t care to do, so he’s gone a couple months without any form of identification, but has gotten an apartment, two jobs, and cashes his checks weekly without any problem. Not sure how he does it.

I honestly wasn’t insulting your intelligence, dude.

What?! A possible law that negatively affects less than 1%, and we are debating this?

1 Like

Anyone who hired your cousin as a W2 employee without ID/SSN broke at least 7 federal laws and various state laws as well. They are subject to civil and criminal penalties if caught.

It’s important for your cousin to know this for 3 reasons.

1. He can be held responsible for failure to report the income by the state and feds. He will have to pay penalties and interest if caught as well as the employer.
  2. If he’s hurt at work he has no recourse through workers comp or lawsuits as an off the books employee.
  3. If the company he works for is willing to cheat the tax man, they’re probably willing to cheat him out of wages or just compensation if he’s injured. Imagine trying to file a complaint for unpaid wages when you can’t prove to the court you were even an employee.

The only way he’s working there legally with no ID/SSN is if he’s a 1099 contractor and makes less than $600/year. Even then he’s on thin ice.

Okay, I’ll take your word for it.

1 Like

Great stuff.

1 Like

I know he knows his SSN. Like he doesn’t have the card, but if he has to write it down he can. I’m not sure if jobs ask to see it or not - some of mine have, one didn’t.

I think it’s less that the places are willing to cheat/break the law and just that they’re run by idiots. He mostly works at fast food places and most employees and management seem to be not the brightest.

But yeah, it’s not legal.

What’s the fuss all about?

The GOP will just Double-Down on the Gerrymandering.

No loss/no gain, right?