ND Voter ID Law?

Because a lot of Dems think apparently white people are the only ones capable of getting to the DMV or able to afford ID’s. Soft bigotry of low expectations.

1 Like

The Dem’s rabid resistance to what seems to be a pretty common-sense measure tells me all I need to know about it. The best way to know if voter fraud has been taking place it to pass the law and see if district-wide voting patterns suddenly change. It’s not like it’s an easy crime to catch someone doing when no individual person gets victimized.

Besides, if liberal utopia Sweden has voter ID laws, it must be a good thing. Didn’t Bernie say so?

4 Likes

It’s funny how many things seem like no-brainers, but one of the two parties is absurdly against it for lord knows what reason.

I took my son to a trampoline park on Friday, I had to show ID and sign a freakin waiver. I test drove an Acadia on Wednesday and the dealership scanned my driver’s license.

But not voting.

You mean like in Alabama where tens of thousands of voters get purged from the system ‘on accident’ and it only seems to happen in Dem heavy places?

Why wouldn’t we trust republicans to instill voter ID laws and not use it to control the masses.

1 Like

We authorize the state to commit violence on our behalf, spend money that we’re liable to pay back and we have no choice but to submit to its power. But asking that only law abiding citizens get a vote when they’re voting against my interests is tyrannical? The costs of a photo ID are already absorbed by society. You literally can’t exist without one. That isn’t what I prefer, that’s how the world works. My Amish work crew had to have photo ID. A literally costless check on the voter rolls doesn’t hurt anyone but fraudsters.

Apparently you used to have to stand before the sherrif and declare your vote in public as a land owner. No pressure there. Further down is a brief history of voter registration. So voter fraud under that system would be making false statements to the court.

“As each freeholder came before the sheriff, his name was called out in a loud voice, and the sheriff inquired how he would vote. The freeholder replied by giving the name of his preference. The appropriate clerk then wrote down the voter’s name, the sheriff announced it as enrolled, and often the candidate for whom he had voted arose, bowed, and publicly thanked him.”

Seems like a slam dunk ACLU lawsuit that gets election commission workers serious jail time
, if true. The point of voter ID and verifying the rolls is to prevent fraud, not facilitate it.

Ofc it is. Welcome to the anti libertarian party!

This is, best case, ignorant of reality.

Photo IDs are free in your state?

I’ll be honest if it was free I’d be swayed more

So you’ve never needed ID to vote in America. Got it

And the ‘point’ of gerrymandering is to ‘accurately distribute voting blocks.’

Reality trumps the hell out of intent

15o2g0

3 Likes

Whatever you say buck. We’ll just let anyone vote wherever they want with no proof. God forbid only citizens vote… once.

If you are against any costs with voting you should be against voter registration as well. That has costs to the state and the voter. It takes time and effort (costs) to register. We’ll just keep people on the honor system.

While we’re at it let’s remove ID requirements for guns and permitting requirements for protests. Those are unfair to the poor right?

Draw a “fair” district, anywhere in the country. We’ll wait here. The moment you draw it someone is pissed, guaranteed. Unless we segregate on political lines (which is happening somewhat) you can’t have a completely fair district system. Somebody in the district is going to feel “disenfranchised” and have a representative they didn’t vote for.

I’m not against it because of the cost. I’m against it because republicans like to take voter manipulation practices and run wild with them since their views can’t seem to ever sway more Americans.

The cost is just a demonstration of what a normal libertarian would consider theft.

I’d be very open to removing ID laws for protests. Not sure why they’re in place tbh

Ahhhh. So because true objective fairness is impossible, we shouldn’t have restrictions on the extent to which it’s used to manipulate the country.

Seems an awfully strange position from the guy who doesn’t want people fucking with his property

I suspect your views on gerrymandering would be different if it wasn’t the tool of the GOP, of which you tend to agree with over the Dems. Cest la vie

Huh?

1 Like

This has gotten much bigger than expected, but firstly, I’ll say that I am Native American, so those with the memes saying it’s racist to think only white people can get ID’s can safely assume I, a Native American, am not racist towards Native Americans.

Secondly, I wasn’t arguing having ID’s to vote. What I was saying was that it’s that the postal system does not deliver mail to reservations, so most Natives have P.O. boxes, which are suddenly not good enough for an ID. They had addresses. They had ID’s. It’s just that now their ID’s with their addresses aren’t good enough, so now they need new ones, which is a process that could be 1). unbeknownst to them, and 2). a process that I strongly suspect will become much more time consuming and difficult than it needs to be or has been portrayed.

3 Likes

Proving you are who you say you are and are a citizen who is eligible to vote is a no brainier. We cannot subject the democratic process to a free-for-all. It would defeat the purpose pf voting in the first place.

Tell that to the FFs lol

1 Like

Fat Fuckers?

2 Likes

I’d prefer the house functioned more like the Senate instead of having gerrymandered districts.

Or some system where if 30% of votes went to party X in any given state then 30% of that state’s representatives would be from that party. That would be more parliamentary and require a constitutional amendment… which won’t happen in this climate.

A simpler solution would be to have the districts voted on directly by the electorate… but there’s problems there as well.

1 Like

It is a fact beyond dispute that voter-ID laws disproportionately affect Dem voters.

Assuming you’re correct, 19 votes out of the kajillion cast is hardly a reason to enact laws that will disenfranchise millions of Americans. Why don’t you guys go after absentee-ballot fraud? To the extent voter fraud is a problem, that’s where it is.

Voting occurs at the state level.

I agree, meme-based conversations evidence a profound lack of brains.

That’s rich, given the GOP’s aversion to common-sense gun-control legislation.
/derail

Disenfranchisement would also produce a change in voting patterns, so no, not really.

I agree. It’s funny that, absent evidence of sig in-person voter fraud, the GOP continues to insist on the need to implement voter-ID laws that preferentially disenfranchise Dem voters.

Again, no:

"While the impact of these laws is debated, the intent is clear.

In 2012, a Republican legislative leader in Pennsylvania made headlines by saying that the state’s voter ID law — which was later overturned by the courts — was “gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania.” But even when the law’s authors are more circumspect about their motivations, the evidence is clear: It’s Republican legislatures and legislators that tend to pass them. There’s also a racial dynamic: Seth McKee found that Republican legislators are more likely to back voter ID laws — and Democratic legislators less so — as their districts have more black voters. It’s also no accident that the states whose voter ID laws make headlines — Wisconsin, North Carolina, Virginia — are often swing states with diverse electorates."

1 Like

That’s cute.