NCAA Football 2017 - AL vs GA poll at post 121

Hey guys I’m a orangenlood so believe me I root for the big 12. I just look at our top team this year looks like tcu right now and I don’t think they could play with Alabama. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. My whole point is that if tcu goes underfeated and there are some 1 loss sec team, tcu will get screwed. They(the writers) always use that strength schedule bull shit.

Sio if they go 13-0 they should be exckuded from the playoff just because they can’t hang w/ Bama?

I think we are as good as anyone else that could make playoffs. That said I am more worried about playing a much improved Iowa State at their place than I am the playoffs.

Christmas dinner would be really interesting if TCU and Bama actually met. Especially if TCU pulled the unthinkable, but first Iowa State.

Everyone talks SoS but one of the downsides of college ball is noone really plays anyone. As a season ticket holder I am frustrated that I had to pay good money to see them play SMU and Jackson State. That said Arkansas was decent when the schedule was made.

I’m not saying they should I’m just saying if it comes down to a undefeated tcu and a 1 loss Georgia for the 4th spot, they will pick Georgia assuming their one loss is against Alabama . But hey there is still a lot of football left. Let’s see what happens on the field. I stated that I’m a longhorn but my wife is a proud frog so while my team rebuilds I root for the frogs.

Big 12 was Actively Punished (intentionally passed over) for a couple years because they had no Conference Championship.

-you can’t have your best teams idle while everyone else is playing their most crucial games, on National TV.

-Bob Stoops was on public record saying, Extra Games are Stupid! Why take the chance to lose? It made the whole conference sound like cheater pusses.

(I understand that at one point they couldn’t, by the rules, have the championship game.)

Now that they’re back “Even” with everyone else, the Big 12 may be “Rewarded.”

Last year Ohio State didn’t even play in their conference championship, yet they got it (and got destroyed).

Will Notre Dame be excluded?

For the Big 12 to have a championship game when there are only 10 teams and everyone already plays anyone is kind of dumb. FYI the cheap seats at Jerry World will be about $135 each for this championship game.

Last year, the Big 10 had a conference championship game, and a Big 10 team got into the playoff.

The conference was rewarded. Penn State was passed over as Punishmnent for a Penn State issue.

It may be dumb to have this game, but it’s expected. # of Seats in JerryWorld x $135 = The Reason to Have this Game. Some of that money goes to the NCAA.

Notre Dame will of course be excluded.

Now is as good as any for treco’s Christmas wish list for NCAAF.

1. 8 team conferences
  2. Conferences relatively regional, rather than what it is becoming
  3. Play the other 7 teams, plus 3 from similar strength conferences, rather than playing the Little Sisters of Mercy. Used to gauge relative strength between conferences
  4. Top 2 play a Conference Championship
  5. Top 8 in final poll go to 3 round playoff

Conferences could be larger, but l would like to see all conference opponents play AND keep the 3 inter-conference games.

It sounds like a good idea when it’s a OU UT rematch, but what if you have a TCU Baylor rematch as it would have been in 2014. Especially if they start having this game at Arrowhead stadium in KC as they have in past.

I don’t know how you slice this without getting sued but a few of the teams from the non power conferences should be included (Boise, BYU-as much as I hate them,SDSU, maybe a few MAC teams) and the rest should be in D 1AA.

I really hate the currrent set up with D1 having 125-130 teams but only half are really included, yet everyone plays a 1AA bodybag every year.

Maybe let more teams in like basketball or baseball and have the say Sunbelt winner play Alabama in Tuscaloosa for week 1. Cut the schedule to 10 games and cut out the fluff. Maybe a 32 team playoff.

Play week 1 maybe 2 at the higher seeds home sight then use the bowls for the last few weeks.

If we keep the current system then there’s no reason a power 5 conference champion should be left out. At the very least go to 8. And if you have a conference championship then you have to win it to get in.

So you’re against the Big-10 Championship ( a real game between 2 teams in a Big Time stadium) but you’re trying to watch Alabama vs Louisiana- Lafayette?

Completely Reasonable.

Penn State is off to a fast start today!

No I am saying that if you are going to have a championship game then you should pick the winner of said championship game,

That and I hate life. Iowa Freakin State? 3 turnovers in 2nd half, 0 offensive points?

Bama already please 3 body bags a year. Lets cut it back a bit. Maybe play 1 true scrimmage in late August then the king of the dipshits in early December.

I hate life. Is it baseball season yet?

Well as NCAA football goes, there’s a surprise every damned week, smh.

@ActivitiesGuy
PSU… ouch!

Yep. I had no rooting interest in the game, but it was painful to see how poorly the PSU coaching staff handled the 4th quarter. Absolutely no adjustments made in response to the way the OSU D-line played in the 4th. That meltdown falls squarely on the coaches’ shoulders, IMO.

Ouch indeed. Any nonpartisan fan would say that was a fabulously entertaining game - it had a ton of great plays on both sides, some sloppiness but the sort of sloppiness that adds to a game’s entertainment value. As a PSU fan, it was tough.

Respectfully, I’ll disagree with a few things here:

1. You call it whatever you like, but I don’t like the phrase “meltdown” applied to this game because it takes away from both teams - PSU because you’re saying they choked it away, OSU because it discredits their role in the comeback. Texas A&M blowing a 44-10 lead second-half lead against UCLA is a meltdown. PSU losing a 38-27 lead by giving up a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns on the road in a two-teams-in-the-top-10 matchup (not to mention a replay of an instant-classic from last year) against a three-year starter that’s the first three-time captain in a storied program’s history, IMO, is not a meltdown - it’s getting beaten by a talented and experienced opponent that rose to the occasion. Barrett is one of the most decorated players in OSU history and he just played an all-timer that should go into the annals. That game has a legitimate case as one of the best collegiate games of all time, when you consider all of the angles - last year’s result, the teams’ combined 13-1 record and #2 vs. #6 rankings going into the game, legitimate Heisman contenders with big-time career highlights on both sides (Barrett, McSorley, and Barkley are all already established legacies among the great players at their position in their respective programs)…I mean, that’s almost as good as any regular season game can be. Why does it always have to be that someone blew it? Why can’t we just call it a great comeback led by one of the greatest players in the history of a great program?

2. Specifically re: PSU coaching staff…I’ll delve into their handling of the fourth quarter, but I want to push back the specific assertion that they made no adjustments in response to the way the OSU D-line played in the fourth, for a couple reasons.

(not to be all Uncle Rico on you, but for whatever it’s worth, I played on the offensive line for 14 years from elementary school through college…)

Anyways, one of the only things for which their is no good “adjustment” is an offensive line that’s just getting their butts kicked up front. PSU’s success over the past two seasons has come thanks to some spectacular play from McSorley, Barkley, Gesicki, and Hamilton, and the prolific offensive numbers have hidden a dirty little secret (well, not so secret to hardcore fans) that PSU’s offensive line is the weakest position group on the team. Meanwhile, OSU has one of the deepest and most talented defensive lines in the country. Going into this game (actually, going into the Michigan game) I was really worried that our offensive line would get hammered. We still beat UM for a couple reasons - they didn’t have an offense that could hurt us, and PSU had some really nice offensive wrinkles that managed to create some offense by alignment and matchups (Barkley isolated several times on LB for big plays; the Barkley-in-the-wildcat look). But there is only so much that can be done with the smoke and mirrors. Truth be told, PSU did very well to get 38 points onto the board, thanks to some superior efforts from Barkley and a few great plays from McSorley, but at no point in the game were they capable of fully handling the OSU defensive line - and they lost their starting left tackle during the game. There was no special tactic that OSU employed that the PSU coaches specifically needed to “adjust” to on that side of the ball. OSU defensive line just beat PSU’s offensive line on those last two possessions (and actually, for most of the game) but there were no more trick plays to deploy or special tactics to try. PSU had used some great, clever looks all game to get their best players the ball in favorable positions, and got 38 points onto the board.

If there’s a critique of PSU’s coaching staff to be had, I’m actually looking at the other side of the ball. Penn State scored to go up 38-27 with 5:42 to play. The OSU offense was starting to heat up in the second half. Barrett was absolutely feeling it. If any adjustments needed to be made, it was on that side of the ball - Barrett completed his last 16 passes. PSU could not handle the OSU hurry-up offense once they got going at a fast tempo. If PSU deserves any heat for a coaching mistake in the fourth quarter, I’d say that I wish they used a timeout
to slow things down and give their defense a chance to catch their breath (coaches often hoard their timeouts a little too much for endgame situations). Personally, after Barrett hit his third straight pass on the next drive with the score 38-27, I think the PSU coaches should have called a timeout there to stop the momentum, bring the defense over, talk about it, maybe get a set of fresh legs onto the field.

As an ex-player, I’m about equally likely to cast blame on the coaches versus the players, depending on what I observed in the game. I do not believe the “meltdown falls squarely on the coaches’ shoulders” in this case. PSU didn’t botch the clock, or call some crazy trick play that backfired, or make an obviously incorrect call on a 4th down…they just couldn’t make the last play or two that they needed to seal the game (I had a sinking feeling when PSU settled for the FG at 38-27; something just told me that was the chance to put the game away, and I knew that might come back to hant them). OSU - again, led by the only three-time captain in the history of one of the best programs in the country - took advantage of the slightly-open window and made it happen.

As a non-combatant myself, I hesitate to take issue with someone such as yourself who has been in the trenches. But, it seemed to me that, in the 4th quarter, the OSU D-line threw caution (and gap discipline) to the wind and just pinned their (very talented) ears back and let fly. It quickly became apparent that, as you have acknowledged, PSU’s O-line was overrmatched against this all-out onslaught.

But as you know, aggressive D-line play can be turned to the offense’s advantage, most obviously via the screen and draw. Where were these plays in the 4th quarter? I don’t recall PSU trying even one screen (could be selective memory on my part).

But maybe they don’t have much of a screen game in their repertoire? (I don’t know anything about their offense other than they have a hella good back.) OK, how about playing 12 or 22 personnel to help shore up the protection? If I recall correctly, PSU ran relatively few plays with these groupings in the 4th quarter.

At any rate, I agree it was a great game.

As noted somewhere upthread, l was anticipating this matchup.
So when PSU rolled early on, l was kinda bummed.

However, OSU just seemed to be outplaying (but not outscoring) PSU. *edit Stats are showing this in yds per play.

Actually was rooting for OSU, to better Oklahoma’s strength of schedule - since they are not looking dominant enough to make top 4.
Sorry AG, it’s just business. (Usually uttered when when one knows he is screwing the other guy, lol).

3x on terrific game.

If anybody wants entertainment, this world series has no disappointed. I’m paying for it today but I had to stay up and see Houston pull it off last night, blood pressure be damned.

Actually was referring to College Ball where TCU is usually quite good. That said I spent 9 hours at same Sports Bar between Cowboys and Astros. One of best baseball games I have ever seen.

In other news, bring on the Longhorns.

We will bring it, thanks for the invite, lol!