NC Labor Laws

Here’s the deal:

My gf got a new job about 2 weeks ago, but was just told by her employer (she works at a restaurant FWIW) that she won’t be getting her first paycheck for another 5-6 weeks. I used to be pretty good about knowing labor laws since I was a manager in this type of business, but I can’t recall the exact laws on this area off the top of my head. Also, I’m aware that some of these things vary from state to state quite a bit. Anyhow, she needs to come up with $$$ for bills within 2 weeks, so 5-6 weeks won’t cut it as far as that goes.

I’ve done my best to find the labor laws pertaining to her situation in NC, to no avail thus far. Anyone here know this stuff well? I’m pretty damn sure what they’re doing is illegal, but can’t prove it until I find a law to back me up. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can’t help, but try going to the NC Dept of Labor website www.nclabor.com and see if you can contact someone through there.

That’s definitely a new one, I never would have thought to find that out…

You could have her cite some bogus penal code or something along those lines and hope they don’t call her bluff. You know, have her say something like “Well, I need to get paid and according to NC Penal Code 9.07 you are required to pay me at the end of the first pay period in which I have worked.”

Obviously this is not the best way to go, but if she’s desperate she might think about giving it a try. I think even if she’s on a monthly salary she would be entitled to a check for a pro-rated amount at the end of the month, even if she’s only worked part of the month. Wish I could cite something specific.

It can take a few weeks no more that 4 weeks depending on how they pay and if you have upfront costs for insurance and such.

Sorry, I don’t know the legalities on this, but I would think it should be no more than 4 weeks. Sounds like she should move on though if she can, this is likely only the beginning of them screwing with her.

Thanks for the comments guys. I talked to someone from here via facebook who is an attorney in this area of law, and he had some helpful advice, so HOPEFULLY we’ll get this hashed out tomorrow. I was also under the impression of 4 weeks being the max, but any job I’ve worked has never taken more than 2 weeks…almost 2 months is complete BS.

Testy, she would love to move on, but it took her almost 3 months to get a job in this area to begin with…around military installations, damn near all the decent jobs are already taken by military wives lol.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys. I talked to someone from here via facebook who is an attorney in this area of law, and he had some helpful advice, so HOPEFULLY we’ll get this hashed out tomorrow. I was also under the impression of 4 weeks being the max, but any job I’ve worked has never taken more than 2 weeks…almost 2 months is complete BS.

Testy, she would love to move on, but it took her almost 3 months to get a job in this area to begin with…around military installations, damn near all the decent jobs are already taken by military wives lol. [/quote]

Easy solution, get married.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Testy, she would love to move on, but it took her almost 3 months to get a job in this area to begin with…around military installations, damn near all the decent jobs are already taken by military wives lol. [/quote]

Easy solution, get married.[/quote]

Contract marriages FTW!!

Kiddingggg…

I’m gonna hold off on that lol.

Smart man ^^

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Smart man ^[1]

You have no idea (actually, you probably do) how many people I personally know that have married Navy chicks after knowing them for 1-2 months, it’s crazy. And the chick always ends up cheating on them, taking their money, or both…very sad and stupid.

1. /quote ↩︎

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Smart man ^[1]

You have no idea (actually, you probably do) how many people I personally know that have married Navy chicks after knowing them for 1-2 months, it’s crazy. And the chick always ends up cheating on them, taking their money, or both…very sad and stupid. [/quote]
You’re right, I do. Stupid. “I’ll split my BAH with you, so it’s all good” No, it isn’t all good, nothing good comes out of that after a while. Kids sometimes (which is really sad), and the occasional NJP when they get busted for it (contract marriage)

And it’s not necessarily military chicks, it’s the civi chicks that live near base, just looking for someone (mostly some stupid PFC) to marry 'em and pay their bills.

1. /quote ↩︎

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Smart man ^[1]

You have no idea (actually, you probably do) how many people I personally know that have married Navy chicks after knowing them for 1-2 months, it’s crazy. And the chick always ends up cheating on them, taking their money, or both…very sad and stupid. [/quote]
You’re right, I do. Stupid. “I’ll split my BAH with you, so it’s all good” No, it isn’t all good, nothing good comes out of that after a while. Kids sometimes (which is really sad), and the occasional NJP when they get busted for it (contract marriage)

And it’s not necessarily military chicks, it’s the civi chicks that live near base, just looking for someone (mostly some stupid PFC) to marry 'em and pay their bills.[/quote]

Actually these guys are even worse, they honestly think they’re in love most of the time. At least getting a contract marriage indicated a SOMEWHAT level head, but proposing to someone after you lose your virginity to them in the back of a PT Cruiser in a Walmart parking lot after only having known them for a couple months? BAD IDEA! (PS that’s a true story of a guy I know on this base).

1. /quote ↩︎

Actually these guys are even worse, they honestly think they’re in love most of the time. At least getting a contract marriage indicated a SOMEWHAT level head, but proposing to someone after you lose your virginity to them in the back of a PT Cruiser in a Walmart parking lot after only having known them for a couple months? BAD IDEA! (PS that’s a true story of a guy I know on this base). [/quote]

I hear you guys have a ‘new’ Walmart just near the gate now, in addition to the other one a few miles away that I used to ‘chill’ at, right?

God, that town blows…

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Smart man ^[1]

And it’s not necessarily military chicks, it’s the civi chicks that live near base, just looking for someone (mostly some stupid PFC) to marry 'em and pay their bills.[/quote]

Actually these guys are even worse, they honestly think they’re in love most of the time. At least getting a contract marriage indicated a SOMEWHAT level head, but proposing to someone after you lose your virginity to them in the back of a PT Cruiser in a Walmart parking lot after only having known them for a couple months? BAD IDEA! (PS that’s a true story of a guy I know on this base). [/quote]

I lol’d! Reminds me of a crazy chick I roomed with in college who was marrying the man she lost her virginity to because THAT’S WHAT YOU DO.

You have ruined PT Cruisers for me now. I’ve always wanted one. :wink:

I hope your lady gets her paycheck! I’ve never heard of it taking so long. I mean, direct deposit might (and you get paper checks in the interim), but paper checks? No way.

1. /quote ↩︎

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
[/quote]
You’re kidding, right? You mean IH wants one :slight_smile:

—UPDATE—

Soooo we can just chalk this one up to a shitty manager. She talked to a different manager this time that she gets along with better apparently, and he found her paycheck sitting in the office. She said she’s not the only one, he also found another new employee’s paycheck sitting in the office; this other employee had been told the same thing, when really, the shitty manager was too lazy to look for their paychecks, which were sitting where they were supposed to be. I fucking hate managers like this.

—UPDATE—

Soooo we can just chalk this one up to a shitty manager. She talked to a different manager this time that she gets along with better apparently, and he found her paycheck sitting in the office. She said she’s not the only one, he also found another new employee’s paycheck sitting in the office; this other employee had been told the same thing, when really, the shitty manager was too lazy to look for their paychecks, which were sitting where they were supposed to be. I fucking hate managers like this. [/quote]

You mean I don’t have to research NC case law anymore?
Aww man…

Guess i’ll just go eat this pizza then.

—UPDATE—

Soooo we can just chalk this one up to a shitty manager. She talked to a different manager this time that she gets along with better apparently, and he found her paycheck sitting in the office. She said she’s not the only one, he also found another new employee’s paycheck sitting in the office; this other employee had been told the same thing, when really, the shitty manager was too lazy to look for their paychecks, which were sitting where they were supposed to be. I fucking hate managers like this. [/quote]

OMG. I hope she told this other manager what was going on and the shitty manager gets fired or disciplined or something.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]Grneyes wrote:
[/quote]
You’re kidding, right? You mean IH wants one :)[/quote]

FUCK.NO.

That’s great news, H4M.

That manager needs to be bitch-slapped.

It’s alright IH, they ain’t got shit on an Avalon

H4M, that’s good. Fucking douche bag 'man’ager…