NBA Slam Dunk Contest

Fernandez put down two uncomplicated dunks with one hand. HE SUCKED. Robinson jumped OFF OF one guy, and propelled himself upwards off of another. Lame, and he shoulda been disqualified. JR Smith’s first dunk was better than a 43, and he shoulda got a better passer so he coulda done his initial attempt on the second dunk. Howard won that contest, and he shoulda been facing Smith in the finals.

Why do no big name people participate?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Why do no big name people participate?[/quote]

They call it the “rising stars” contest now. I think the idea is to give people who aren’t as well known a shot. I would rather watch guys like Lebron and Vince Carter going at it though.

WhiteFlash you gotta be kidding if you said Fernandez was shit…jesus. Do you know anything about basketball? Dwight’s dunks were not impressive at all. I can’t believe he scored two 50s. Racist panel. :slight_smile:

If rudy fernandez would have hit the dunk that took him 9 tries on the first shot he would have gotten a 50. It didn’t matter though, nate vs howard was planned to be the final from the begnning. Dwight Howard completely underachieved on every one of his dunks. Nate is the truth.

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
WhiteFlash you gotta be kidding if you said Fernandez was shit…jesus. Do you know anything about basketball? Dwight’s dunks were not impressive at all. I can’t believe he scored two 50s. Racist panel. :)[/quote]

Yeah. I’m 5’9" and I can do both of those dunks [though I’m a two-footed jumper]. The facts are Fernandez does not get that high off the ground, and on his second dunk the pass was more impressive than the dunk. He sucked.

I agree with Bonez, the finalists were chosen before the contest started. Robinson used someone as a springboard and was allowed to continue, which is bullshit.

I find nothing wrong with using teammate as a springboard, he just made something new up

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Rico Suave wrote:
WhiteFlash you gotta be kidding if you said Fernandez was shit…jesus. Do you know anything about basketball? Dwight’s dunks were not impressive at all. I can’t believe he scored two 50s. Racist panel. :slight_smile:

Yeah. I’m 5’9" and I can do both of those dunks [though I’m a two-footed jumper]. The facts are Fernandez does not get that high off the ground, and on his second dunk the pass was more impressive than the dunk. He sucked.

I agree with Bonez, the finalists were chosen before the contest started. Robinson used someone as a springboard and was allowed to continue, which is bullshit.[/quote]

How is it bullshit? Last I heard there weren’t any rules in the dunk contest. Last year the dunk contest was won by someone who didn’t even dunk the ball lol.

Creativity is encouraged, this shit would be boring as hell if we saw the same thing every year. I wouldn’t even care if they started bringing out trampolines and did double front flips.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Rico Suave wrote:

I agree with Bonez, the finalists were chosen before the contest started. Robinson used someone as a springboard and was allowed to continue, which is bullshit.

How is it bullshit? Last I heard there weren’t any rules in the dunk contest. Last year the dunk contest was won by someone who didn’t even dunk the ball lol.

Creativity is encouraged, this shit would be boring as hell if we saw the same thing every year. I wouldn’t even care if they started bringing out trampolines and did double front flips.
[/quote]

It’s bullshit because he wouldn’t have been able to pull those dunks off without “help”. Oh, and there are rules, and Robinson broke them. They just let him get away with it, which is super gay. Creativity is encouraged, but in conjunction with power and athleticism, not at the expense of it. What Robinson did [and to a lesser extent Howard did last year with the Superman dunk] isn’t dunking.

There are people who do things yet unseen by the masses, JR Smith being one of them. But, 'cause the NBA dick rides certain players we may never get to see that, and that sucks. James White- who’s currently in the d-leaugue- pulls windmills and two-hand cockbacks from the foul line.

Joe Alexander puts both elbows in the rim. JR Smith does a behind the back 360. Those are examples of dunking [and dunkers]. Jumping off of someone to be able to complete a dunk you otherwise couldn’t isn’t.

Dude are you seriously saying nate couldn’t have done the dunk that he did off chandler’s back otherwise? His first dunk was harder than that (no props).

The thing a lot of people are forgetting is that when you jump off someone’s back you’re barely able to push off them and propel yourself, not to mention having to keep your balance on an unstable surface.

Granted, it wasn’t that hard anyways (even for a 5’8 guy like Nate)… but the judges rightfully gave him a 41 for it (no dickriding there). My guess is he did it to be original and get it over with.

And as for his dunk over Superman… yeah he did push off, but it only helped him clear those last 3-6 inches; if you think about it, you really think he’s gonna risk injury to himself or Dwight? He messes up there and he just fucked himself and the best center in the league over.

Maybe he can clear Dwight without pushing off, probably not on the first try… there’s no way in hell that he’s risking it though.

Dwight’s off-the-side dunk was insane, look at his arm extension and the power he gets on it. I’m pretty sure he can bust out creative dunks on the 12 foot rim (how many guys can even dunk on that)…

With Lebron going up against him next year I’m sure we’ll get the best of Dwight.

[quote]nopal_juventus wrote:
Dude are you seriously saying nate couldn’t have done the dunk that he did off chandler’s back otherwise? His first dunk was harder than that (no props).

The thing a lot of people are forgetting is that when you jump off someone’s back you’re barely able to push off them and propel yourself, not to mention having to keep your balance on an unstable surface. Granted, it wasn’t that hard anyways (even for a 5’8 guy like Nate)… but the judges rightfully gave him a 41 for it (no dickriding there). My guess is he did it to be original and get it over with.

And as for his dunk over Superman… yeah he did push off, but it only helped him clear those last 3-6 inches; if you think about it, you really think he’s gonna risk injury to himself or Dwight? He messes up there and he just fucked himself and the best center in the league over.

Maybe he can clear Dwight without pushing off, probably not on the first try… there’s no way in hell that he’s risking it though.

Dwight’s off-the-side dunk was insane, look at his arm extension and the power he gets on it. I’m pretty sure he can bust out creative dunks on the 12 foot rim (how many guys can even dunk on that)…

With Lebron going up against him next year I’m sure we’ll get the best of Dwight.[/quote]

You’re obviously not a jumper. Robinson is a two-footed jumper. He did the Chandler assissted dunk off of one. He’s not getting that without the foot-and-a-half-plus boost. As for the “unstable surface” nonsense…

Do you actually believe that? Once again, you’re obviously not a jumper. 3-6 inches is ALOT. He didn’t propel himself to “not hurt Howard” he did it to propel himself over him 'cause he couldn’t have done it otherwise. End of story.

Lebron James is not a contest dunker. Check youtube for his McDonalds All-America dunk contest victory. Shannon Brown KILLED him, but Lebron won because he’s the name. However, if he does sign on it’ll hopefully bring out the name dunkers in the league.

Howards not pulling any ticks on that 12’ rim. He had it put off the glass so it was easier to get. He might not be able to get it if he goes up with the ball. With that, there might not be another guy in the league who pulls that dunk off. That was bananas.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
nopal_juventus wrote:

The thing a lot of people are forgetting is that when you jump off someone’s back you’re barely able to push off them and propel yourself, not to mention having to keep your balance on an unstable surface.

Granted, it wasn’t that hard anyways (even for a 5’8 guy like Nate)… but the judges rightfully gave him a 41 for it (no dickriding there). My guess is he did it to be original and get it over with.

With Lebron going up against him next year I’m sure we’ll get the best of Dwight.

You’re obviously not a jumper. Robinson is a two-footed jumper. He did the Chandler assissted dunk off of one. He’s not getting that without the foot-and-a-half-plus boost. As for the “unstable surface” nonsense…

Do you actually believe that? Once again, you’re obviously not a jumper. 3-6 inches is ALOT. He didn’t propel himself to “not hurt Howard” he did it to propel himself over him 'cause he couldn’t have done it otherwise. End of story.

Lebron James is not a contest dunker. Check youtube for his McDonalds All-America dunk contest victory.

Shannon Brown KILLED him, but Lebron won because he’s the name. However, if he does sign on it’ll hopefully bring out the name dunkers in the league.

Howards not pulling any ticks on that 12’ rim. He had it put off the glass so it was easier to get. He might not be able to get it if he goes up with the ball. With that, there might not be another guy in the league who pulls that dunk off. That was bananas.[/quote]

You’re right in that I’m not a big dunker, but regardless of the fact that nate’s a 2 foot jumper, he doesn’t need 18 inches to dunk off 1 foot (check some of his game mixes on youtube). And as for the unstable surface issue… I don’t think you’ve ever tried that dunk. I have, and I’ve seen D-1 pg’s that have no trouble dunking not be able to do it.

Secondly, watch the interview he did recently talking about his 2006 dunk over Spudd; he says if he misses and hurts himself or Spudd he retires, period.

I’m not claiming that he can jump over Dwight, I’m saying that even if he can, he’s not gonna risk it unless it’s close to a sure thing. I agree that on THAT try there’s no way he makes it unless he pushes off, but at the same time that was ONE try and if you think that push off Howard’s shoulder gave him more than 6 inches then watch the slo-mo again.

You can’t tell me that it wasn’t impressive that he even got his waist to Dwight’s head without the push. Again, I think Dwight could’ve done a double-tap or double-sticker alley oop dunk to seal it easily instead of a 2 handed ft-line dunk that doens’t look as impressive when you’re a damn giant… but what I think made this contest so good (live at least), was the unpredictability, the theatrics, and the overall atmosphere in the area.

I agree that from a “pure dunk standpoint” it wasn’t one of the best contests, but overall, because of the hype coming into it surrounding Nate and Dwight, and the show that they put on, it was pretty damn impressive.

I agree that Bron’s not a show dunker, but that’s not my point (you touched on it). When you know that the best player in the world is competing in the contest, you’re going to bring your best, regardless. Add the fact that Dwight was seriously disappointed that he lost this year (same as in 07 after the crazy sticker dunk), and I think we’ll see something special next year (13 ft rim maybe?).

As to pulling tricks on a 12-footer… i think he can do some basic ones, depending on the setup. I want to see J.R. Smith and Rudy back at some point (I know Rudy can do more than what he showed, I think he came under prepared and overwhelmed).

Honestly I didn’t think that Nate’s dunk over Dwight Howard was that great; he pushes off and Howard leans over. I honestly think that I could pull that off.

I thought that Rudy’s dunk from behind the backboard was cool, but that could be because I find 1-foot dunks a lot cooler than 2-foot.

As somewhat mentioned, I refuse to recognize any contest that doesn’t include Joe Alexander or James White (best 1-foot jumper). Can somebody seriously get a petition to get this guy in there?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Why do no big name people participate?[/quote]

ummmm…Howard is one of the biggest names in the NBA…probably the 3rd best player overall…and the all time leading vote getter for an All Star team…

James White would be a must for the contest… if he played in the U.S. He’s signed to the Euroleague for the next 4 years for a reason; if we’re gonna make it a free-for-all might as well get Kadour Ziani and guys from the AND1 tour.

James White would be a must for the contest… if he played in the U.S. He’s signed to the Euroleague for the next 4 years for a reason; if we’re gonna make it a free-for-all might as well get Kadour Ziani and guys from the AND1 tour.[/quote]

Uh, as I already stated White’s playing in the D-league. He was in their dunk contest and all-star game this past weekeend. He’s top 3 in the D-league in scoring. Also, I know Robinson can punch off of one foot, but he’s not taking off a foot in from the stripe without jumping off of Chandlers back. It’s just that simple.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
nopal_juventus wrote:
James White would be a must for the contest… if he played in the U.S. He’s signed to the Euroleague for the next 4 years for a reason; if we’re gonna make it a free-for-all might as well get Kadour Ziani and guys from the AND1 tour.

Uh, as I already stated White’s playing in the D-league. He was in their dunk contest and all-star game this past weekeend. He’s top 3 in the D-league in scoring. Also, I know Robinson can punch off of one foot, but he’s not taking off a foot in from the stripe without jumping off of Chandlers back. It’s just that simple.[/quote]

Oh shit my bad, I thought he was still playing in the Turkish league… in that case I’m sure he’ll be on an NBA team soon. I still think the dunk contest should only be for actual NBA players though.

WhiteFlash wrote:
nopal_juventus wrote:

Uh, as I already stated White’s playing in the D-league. He was in their dunk contest and all-star game this past weekeend. He’s top 3 in the D-league in scoring.

Also, I know Robinson can punch off of one foot, but he’s not taking off a foot in from the stripe without jumping off of Chandlers back. It’s just that simple.

Oh shit my bad, I thought he was still playing in the Turkish league… in that case I’m sure he’ll be on an NBA team soon. I still think the dunk contest should only be for actual NBA players though.[/quote]

I agree 100%. He’s had a cup of coffee with a few squads but never stuck. Apperantly he’s tearing shit up in the D-league though and has answered all of the questions surrounding his game and character so he should find a spot soon.

The NBA needs him before he loses some spring and they miss out on the best contest dunker since Vince Carter [not comparing, their styles are completely diferent. Just saying].

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
nopal_juventus wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
nopal_juventus wrote:

Uh, as I already stated White’s playing in the D-league. He was in their dunk contest and all-star game this past weekeend. He’s top 3 in the D-league in scoring. Also, I know Robinson can punch off of one foot, but he’s not taking off a foot in from the stripe without jumping off of Chandlers back. It’s just that simple.

Oh shit my bad, I thought he was still playing in the Turkish league… in that case I’m sure he’ll be on an NBA team soon. I still think the dunk contest should only be for actual NBA players though.

I agree 100%. He’s had a cup of coffee with a few squads but never stuck. Apperantly he’s tearing shit up in the D-league though and has answered all of the questions surrounding his game and character so he should find a spot soon.

The NBA needs him before he loses some spring and they miss out on the best contest dunker since Vince Carter [not comparing, their styles are completely diferent. Just saying].[/quote]

Haha yeah, I’d love to see a contest with him, Lebron (his name alone would hype up the contest), Dwight, and either J.R. or Joe Alexander. I still think Rudy’s gonna make a splash at some point though; from what I’ve heard talking to locals here, what he showed yesterday was nothing compared to what he can do (which I would hope).

I was rather disappointed with the whole contest. At times I found it even unbearable to watch, especially when it took the contestant 3+ attempts. It took away all the build-up, excitement and anticipation and left me with a “meh”-feeling.

I would ditch the clock or give a contestant just about 3 attempts per dunk. Robinson’s dunk with the jump-off of Chandler’s back…we did that stuff all the time in high school during class competitions.