NBA Playoff Thread

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
Man if kobe had a PIPPEN things would be much different/[/quote]

With any luck, KG will be his sidekick next year.

[quote]escot4 wrote:
That’s what Odom is supposed to be. Unfortunately he isn’t as consistent, doesn’t play as aggressively, and is battling injuries. [/quote]

Yeah, and Odom’s game is actually a lot like Pippen’s. Just a little less offense and a lot less defense.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Kill’Em All wrote:
Man if kobe had a PIPPEN things would be much different/

[/quote]

McHale said last week KG isn’t going anywhere.

Phoenix is not that good. Just a great offensive team.
Dallas will have a whole lot of trouble mainly because they didn’t take the time to let all their players develop like they did last year when they weren’t pushing dirk to be mvp.
If Dallas gets out of the first round they win it all. Wonderful matchup first round against the coach that got you there against the coach he trained. Classic Master vs. Grasshopper.

[quote]BADASS MENTALITY wrote:
Bulls will beat the Heat, Suns & Bulls in the finals. Yes, the bulls will beat the Pistons. Suns will win it all. Nash is amazing, should win the MVP 3x, but wont. Done.[/quote]

WHOA WHOA WHOA

You’re for sure half right. Nash is amazing hands down. However the Pistons are ALWAYS underestimated… remember before the pistons shut the lakers down? everyone was like dude the pistons suck and wont’ even beat shaq and kobe yea they smoked em…

Chicago is good. and also underated as the pistons are because they’re in the “Weak East” but I don’t think they will beat the pistons unless they get help from the pistons… beating themseleves…

But to that “Weak East” that the ESPN keeps bringing up, I realize the Mav’s Suns Spurs, and more are amazing teams… but it comes down to what happens in the playoffs doesn’t it? Look at Golden State got 1 game on the Mav’s and have all the games during the season… are they going to SMOKE the mavs? who knows imo no but who knows…

No one thinks the east can pull it off… but we’lllllll seeeeee
(which means now that i’ve said it, it won’t happen and I will eat my words)

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
chillain wrote:
Kill’Em All wrote:
Man if kobe had a PIPPEN things would be much different/

McHale said last week KG isn’t going anywhere.[/quote]

Well, McHale said he’s not trading KG, but he can opt out of his contract this offseason. I’m pretty sure he will unless the Wolves somehow hit the lotto and get Oden or Durant.

With Garnett being my favorite player, I’ll be jumping on the bandwagon of any team he goes to next year.

[quote]chillain wrote:
escot4 wrote:
That’s what Odom is supposed to be. Unfortunately he isn’t as consistent, doesn’t play as aggressively, and is battling injuries.

Yeah, and Odom’s game is actually a lot like Pippen’s. Just a little less offense and a lot less defense.

[/quote]

Odom has the talent to be a great player. He really should be one of the top rebounders and defenders in the league because of his size and athleticism.

Offensively, he’s not a good outside shooter, and he settles for way too many long jumpers. Also, good defenders draw a lot of charges on him and get him in foul trouble. They know he’s going left. If he could develop a mid-range shot, a right hand, be more assertive, and stop shooting too many threes, he would be very difficult to guard.

Well, McHale said he’s not trading KG, but he can opt out of his contract this offseason. I’m pretty sure he will unless the Wolves somehow hit the lotto and get Oden or Durant.

With Garnett being my favorite player, I’ll be jumping on the bandwagon of any team he goes to next year.[/quote]

True. If the Wolves land the first pick, and get Oden, that would be sweet!!! No sense in getting Durant, because he’s just like Garnett, and Oden will give the Wolves an inside presence.
KG is one of my favorite players as well.

I don’t see what the Wolves problem is. They need to build a team around KG, and he has expressed that several times, but nothing is happening. They don’t tap the free agent market in the off-season as aggressively as they should.

Monday, April 23 recap:

1. Pistons defeat 8) Magic 98-90 - Pistons all-around team effort too much for Magic, led by Rip’s 22. Dwight Howard held to 8 points. Hedo had 22 and Grant Hill had 21.

2. Rockets defeat 5) Jazz 98-90 - T-Mac’s 31 and Yao’s 27 helped the Rockets to victory. Carlos Boozer had 41 for the Jazz, but got little help from his teammates.

3 interesting facts from tonight’s games: Both games had the same score, the home teams won both games, and all five starters from both teams scored in double digits.

Stud of the Night: Tracy McGrady. 31 points and 10 rebounds to help the Rockets to a 2-0 series lead. He showed it was his team, and is putting all the weight on his shoulders. Job well done so far.

Honorary Stud of the Night: Carlos Boozer. 41 points and 12 boards were impressive, and he played hard the whole game. Unfortunately, it was a one-man show for the Jazz.

I have an proposal:

Stud of the Night will become tmoney1’s Neat-O Stud of the Night, sponsored by T-Nation.

This is similar to EJ’s Neat-O Stat of the Night on TNT, sponsored by nobody, until tonight, which is now sponsored by Suzuki.

If no one disapproves, this will begin with the recaps on Tuesday.

[quote]escot4 wrote:
Odom has the talent to be a great player. He really should be one of the top rebounders and defenders in the league because of his size and athleticism.

Offensively, he’s not a good outside shooter, and he settles for way too many long jumpers. Also, good defenders draw a lot of charges on him and get him in foul trouble. They know he’s going left. If he could develop a mid-range shot, a right hand, be more assertive, and stop shooting too many threes, he would be very difficult to guard. [/quote]

I agree. In Odom’s defense though, I will say that the triangle handcuffs a lot of his ballhandling ability. Other than getting deep position in the post or isolation from the top, there aren’t many other openings.

And of course, it’s not easy having Bryant as a teammate.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
No sense in getting Durant, because he’s just like Garnett, [/quote]

Easy there. Let’s wait awhile before saying that.

I also think you have to give the tmoney Stud of the Night to Boozer. He put up those monster numbers on Yao.

[quote]chillain wrote:
escot4 wrote:

Offensively, he’s not a good outside shooter, and he settles for way too many long jumpers. Also, good defenders draw a lot of charges on him and get him in foul trouble. They know he’s going left. If he could develop a mid-range shot, a right hand, be more assertive, and stop shooting too many threes, he would be very difficult to guard.

I agree. In Odom’s defense though, I will say that the triangle handcuffs a lot of his ballhandling ability. Other than getting deep position in the post or isolation from the top, there aren’t many other openings.

And of course, it’s not easy having Bryant as a teammate.

[/quote]

I agree with the triangle comment; it forces a player to play a certain style of ball, and limits their individual ability. LO has been great ever since his days at Rhode Island, I think he needs a system that will allow him to flourish.

[quote]chillain wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:
No sense in getting Durant, because he’s just like Garnett,

Easy there. Let’s wait awhile before saying that.

I also think you have to give the tmoney Stud of the Night to Boozer. He put up those monster numbers on Yao.

[/quote]

I gave him honorary stud of the night, and I feel bad for him because his team didn’t give him much help.

The reason I said that about Durant is because if the Wolves get the #1 pick, Durant and Garnett are similar, big men who have mad range, but can still take it to the cup. I think Oden would be a better fit for their system, it will give them an inside presence.

But you can’t go wrong with either pick.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
The reason I said that about Durant is because if the Wolves get the #1 pick, Durant and Garnett are similar, big men who have mad range, but can still take it to the cup. I think Oden would be a better fit for their system, it will give them an inside presence.

But you can’t go wrong with either pick.[/quote]

I think Durant would be a great pick for the Wolves if they got the #2. I think he and Garnett are a lot different. He’s a SF whereas KG is a PF. They need another scorer, and Durant is going to eventually be a much better scorer than KG.

He has more of a scorer’s mentality. He’ll never be quite as good as KG on defense and rebounding, but he could be very good in those areas. Durant is also a big 3-point threat, whereas KG is best around the 15-20 foot range. Those two would be an amazing tandem, especially with KG’s unselfishness.

He would help make Durant into a great player very quickly. That said, it probably won’t happen because they aren’t likely to get the 2nd or 1st pick.

[quote]escot4 wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

But you can’t go wrong with either pick.

I think Durant would be a great pick for the Wolves if they got the #2. I think he and Garnett are a lot different. He’s a SF whereas KG is a PF. They need another scorer, and Durant is going to eventually be a much better scorer than KG.

He has more of a scorer’s mentality. He’ll never be quite as good as KG on defense and rebounding, but he could be very good in those areas. Durant is also a big 3-point threat, whereas KG is best around the 15-20 foot range. Those two would be an amazing tandem, especially with KG’s unselfishness.

He would help make Durant into a great player very quickly. That said, it probably won’t happen because they aren’t likely to get the 2nd or 1st pick.[/quote]

I agree if they get the 2 pick (key word: if), they should pick Durant, but if I had the #1 pick, I would still go with Oden. A dominant big man who actually wants to play post is hard to come by. And I agree with KG’s unselfishness, The Big Ticket is all about the team, and not himself.

Essentially, the true center position has pretty much become non-existent. Shaq is the last great big man in the game today, but Oden can keep the true center position going.

Also, the reason I would pick Oden is that shooters (like Durant, although not as good) are a dime a dozen; you will always find plenty of shooters in a draft, but you hardly find a dominant big man, especially one as good as Oden. I am NOT discounting Durant in any way, he is phenomenal and will do great in the NBA, but I’m partial to Oden.

Remember, in 1993, the Magic only had 1 ping-pong ball, and they got the #1 pick, and in 2005, the Bucks only had 6 ping-pong balls in the lottery and they got the #1 pick, so it could happen for the Wolves.

When it gets closer to the draft, I will start a Durant vs. Oden thread, and we’ll see the responses.

I never said they should take Durant with the #1. I agree that Oden should be the first pick. He’s the obvious #1 for any GM. I’m just saying that Durant and Garnett would be a great fit in Minnesota if they got the #2. Oden would be even better. Neither is likely to happen.

[quote]escot4 wrote:
I never said they should take Durant with the #1. I agree that Oden should be the first pick. He’s the obvious #1 for any GM. I’m just saying that Durant and Garnett would be a great fit in Minnesota if they got the #2. Oden would be even better. Neither is likely to happen.[/quote]

You’re right, I misread. My apologies escot4.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
escot4 wrote:
I never said they should take Durant with the #1. I agree that Oden should be the first pick. He’s the obvious #1 for any GM. I’m just saying that Durant and Garnett would be a great fit in Minnesota if they got the #2. Oden would be even better. Neither is likely to happen.

You’re right, I misread. My apologies escot4.[/quote]

No problem.

Back to the playoffs: Today I’m going with Toronto, Miami, and Phoenix to win. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bulls won again though. Hopefully they’ll all be good games.

I’m not as sold on Durant. Not that he shouldn’t go #2 overall, and I’m sure he’ll eventually become a star as expected.

I just don’t see it happening immediately. In the college game, we already know he struggled on defense. And even though he scored with ease, I’m waiting to see how he does against guys like Artest, Bowen, Bryant, Marion. You know, those other freaks of nature who can defend NBA talent.